#1021 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 14 October 2018 - 06:33 AM

Having worked on my swing change drills from my last lesson and taking it out on course for a few rounds, I started to feel, notice, a lot of shots going left... Pulled left, but also with a draw in the tail.

Before going off on the wrong tangent and miss diagnosing things for myself I went back to the new coach, Chris, for a lesson on Friday. I'm glad I did as the 'fix' is not something I would have known to consider.

In short, my focus has been on starting the downswing with my lower body, hips... And to stop the casting from the top, which the drills I had have corrected, plus working on path getting it away for the OTT.

But.

My start with my hip, left hip going back, was still pulling my shoulder around too much. So, Chris suggested I think about turning my belt buckle toward my left knee to start the forward swing and with that start with a weight shift toward the target while turning the hip.

Worked a treat, once I got my body to do what it should and everything fell into line ... Lag was better, swing path good, impact position solid reverse K (video analysis)... and so the shots were no longer pulling left.

We then worked on path and wrists... And with that I had an "ah ha" moment around the whole "hands go right" and "hips go left" ... I've just gotta trust it!

Some work needed to get consistent with this new sensation. A key for me was thinking about striking the ball on the inside back quadrant of the ball (rather than as I had always thought, square into the back of the ball).

Started the lesson hitting the range balls to a flag that pinged 137m, with 7i landing just over it ... By the end I was flying it with an 8i, so hopeful I might get some consistent distance gain now too.
  • CaNadiAn MiCk, Francie, iRON MiCK and 1 other like this

#1022 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42801 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:02 AM

Nice!
  • hack2489 likes this

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#1023 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5494 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:09 AM

Sounds very very awesome
  • hack2489 likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#1024 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15954 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:01 AM

Hack

Still spots this week at Nats!
  • hack2489 likes this

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#1025 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:08 AM

Hack

Still spots this week at Nats!

My corporate day on Friday is looking like it will be postponed due to weather. :(

But.

I'm not liking the look of the forecast up that way either. :huh:

http://www.bom.gov.a...-paradise.shtml

It's going to be a wet week and wet well into next weekend. :o

I hate playing on a wet track, let alone in the rain. So, yeah, not sure how that will go ... :wacko:

And, the in-laws have decided to bombard us next weekend. :rolleyes:

Timing perfect with a mate from school visiting. So, yeah, I doubt I'll get up there to say g'day to the ISG crew over the weekend either. :(

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#1026 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 15954 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:09 AM

No worries. If last
Minute and slots allow. Pop up.

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#1027 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:55 AM

Quick update re: my journey ...

Took a few weeks away from golf, did a lot of surfing and hadn't touched a club in just over a month. Was just a bit over it TBH.

An end of year function with a client, saw me playing in an ambrose type event with them two weeks ago... and it was the first time swinging a club without any practise, warm up etc. As it should, I was rusty, but, managed some good shots throughout the day and generally enjoyed some fun relaxed golf.

With a horrendous weather pattern and crap surf, I dusted off the clubs earlier this week, and decided to wander around at the home track late in the day on Monday. Started with some warm up chippping and pitches before venturing off for nine holes around the front side of the course, starting on the par 3 8th. I used that hole, hitting a half dozen balls into the green as a 'warm up' for the full swing and then scored from the par 5 9th onwards ... i need to take on the hill early in the walk, so play up the hill and then back down the first and around the front nine, finishing back at the 8th ... it's a flat walk back to the car through the side gate then to head home.

Been getting around in about 1 1/2 hrs ... and shot 7 over OTS on Monday, 6 over OTS on Tuesday and 4 over OTS yesterday. Really happy with the scores.

Overall, it's been focus and mindset on putting and a few chips that's really saved the scores. Where I'd normally be scoring another bogey, or having a double, the putts have been dropping, and a couple of well executed chips have left me with easy par putts. Wedges from around 100m have all been generally good, but just a tad off to the right usually so leaving longish putt chances for the birdie. 

I've also found I need to stop myself over swinging and putting too much effort into the swing. When I over do it, I pull the drives with a harsh draw (wouldn't really call it a hook) and tend to get irons fat ... when I swing easy but with a committed swing to the target, the Driver works well with a slight draw in the tail and the irons just punch with good divot after the ball.

I've been working on smarter and better recovery shots too, which has also helped with the scoring. Instead of going for some miracle shot, I've played smart and keep more trouble out of the equation.

So, all up, the game is progressing as I would like. Just hoping to keep the form. Would also like to get a few more closer to get a few birds to help the scorecard a bit more.

Oh, and for those reading along, I've been playing off the back 'blue' plates to test myself. Pin locations not exactly 'challenge day' set ups, but, the hole length and angles are the same off the tee etc. I'm really keen to test myself in another 'blue marker challenge', but the next one is 28th and not sure I can get there over the Christmas break.

Hope you're all enjoying your golf.

• Weetbix, Tochakka and Forrest Gardener like this

#1028 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3193 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:03 AM

I found that taking a break from playing helps the game sometimes because when you return and stand on the first tee it all seems foreign and you have to think about how to play the hole.
Playing off the back markers makes you think about shot selection and if you have not hit for a while some times you pick an extra club for your approach shots and some times you hit what you were previously hitting and come up short and have to decide if you want to bump and run or chip or use the putter to get close to the hole.

Course management is an ongoing issue for lots of golfers and sometimes the choice between taking your medicine and going for the low percentage shot depends on how you are playing and if you can afford to drop a shot. An example of this is if you are in the trees on the left side of the fairway with your drive and the “safe option” is to bump it out on the fairway and possibly walk off with a bogey or double bogey or the “hero option” is to hit a hook/big draw through a gap in the trees and go for the par or bogey at worse , the decision depends on how you are scoring so far and the likelihood of hitting trees going for the “hero option” if you are playing well and building a good score the option might be play safe and take your medicine and pick up a couple of pars or a birdie later to keep you on track. Sometimes going for the “hero option” and mucking up the hole can affect the rest of your round because you chase a good result and the harder you try the worse you play but if you took your medicine you stay in the mindset that you will just play each hole as it comes and it will all click and the score will reflect how you play.
But sometimes you have to try the low percentage shots when practicing so you can learn what shots you can play if needed and at least when practicing you can hit a couple balls and learn what works and what you can avoid.
Most of all try to learn something from a practice round to incorporate into your game.
  • hack2489 likes this

#1029 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 16 December 2018 - 11:19 AM

I ended up back out for another 9 hole practice round on the Friday last week, and shot 6 over OTS. So that was quite a positive week on course ...

But.

I'd started to get a more aggressive draw, not some much a hook, but a real nasty tail, off the Driver. That really cost me some shots and in turn I started to lose confidence with the Driver.

Week of weird work and no golf last week, so I headed to the range yesterday to groove a few things and try and work out the Driver.

After doing some drills and checking path, swing etc. and generally striking irons well, I tried the Driver. Hmmm, there was that tail again ...

Using some impact assessment, I found the Driver contact was high and toe (I could actually feel it, but wanted confirmation) so without changing my swing any, I just lowered the tee a tad and started to address the ball with the club heel closer, and bingo, the Drives started back down the middle ... straight and solid.

So, that was a good lesson / epiphany as I can now trust my new swing, but just need to adjust my address alignment.

I suspect this may be part of my issue with some iron misses too, but since I'd worked my back to the point of fatigue, I decided to give it a rest and come back after a few days to test my iron impacts etc.

The learning curve continues.

• Forrest Gardener likes this

#1030 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 10 January 2019 - 10:55 AM

Grab a coffee or cold refreshing brew and settle in folks, this has TL;DR written all over it, but stick with me, there is a journey in here...

On a personal plan to improve golf, I needed a baseline test for my efforts over the last couple of years. So, I returned yesterday to the home of torture, Pelican Waters.

As a former member at Pelican, I had forgotten just how much undulation there was on many of the fairways. And the roll. Especially TOWARD the bunkers.

The course, in good condition, and the varying pace greens, just added to the test. One, that I was both REALLY looking forward to but approached with slight trepidation.

My goal, to break 100 OTS off the black tees. The BHAG, to shoot to handicap, which off my GA of 15.2 is a daily of 19.

So, after lunch at the club and one too many sugary drinks, we ventured to warm up on the range. There was me, my mate off 27 and his mate who needed 27 too but had no official cap.

I proceed to fat, slice, chop and top every club in the bag and seriously considered going to the bar. Where was my swing?

This is going to be ugly.

But, somehow, I managed to snot the first drive leaving me 120m to the flag. And proceeded to push my 8i into the right greenside bunker. A miracle lob wedge to back edge of the green, and a couple of putts and the first shaking bogey hit the card.

With nervous excitement I took on the water on the 2nd, and watched with panic as it sailed straight rather than the draw hoped, only to receive the golfing god's blessing with a dry landing and 120m to the pin. On an uphill roughish lie, I pulled my 8i into the left greenside bunker. Out with more luck and just off the green, another two putts and another bogey.

The third, Par 5, which historically I found the long sand trap along the water, if not the water, on more than 50% of the times I played there in years gone by... And so, I aimed to middle of fairway, allowing for tail draw off driver and proceed to get it wet at the end of the long sand bunker. Hmmm. Ok, drop, 5i to safety and then fat a wedge, chip, and two putts later and the hole had well and truly bitten my ar$e... AGAIN.

Par 3 next, pin 161m, slight breeze, so took 5i and landed pin high but rolled through... Hmmm, chipping into uphill grain, so took 8i and yep, caught it clean and watched the ball roll and roll and roll leaving a long chance at par. 3 putts later, one short by 2m, next long by 1m and well, the scorecard was taking a beating.

By now, if you've read this far, you'll know my goals are looking distant chances. So, it's no surprise that I made the turn with 52 OTS.

A couple of pars and the ongoing bogey train, and I stood on 18, the hardest hole on the course, with a f.uck all chance of breaking 100. I needed double bogey or less to break 50 on the back 9.

The long par 4, doglegs left, and needs a solid drive to set up for the long 2nd shot.

Setting up with Driver to draw, I skimmed the right side trees and somehow put enough on it to drag it back around and get me to 170m out.

Now, remember back to that range warm up? Well, I had topped 7 3w shots in a row and had decided to bench the club for the day.

So, as I do, I thought f.uk it and pulled it from the bag to attempt the miracle... 170m into the breeze was too much for my 4i, a smart 5i then wedge and a putt would get me under 50 on the back 9, but no chance of breaking 100.

So, it was, I stood with 3w, staring down the flag, choked down a bit on it and swung with the clearest mind I'd had all day...

And, we watched it sail into the air (you beauty) and toward the green ... Holy f.uk, this might make the green.

Wait. What?

No.

Yes.

Is it THAT close?

So, we drove up and yes, by the golfing gods miracle and in the best of golf's ability to give you that one shot to bring you back, there it sat, 1m from the flag.

Oh f.uk. Don't miss the birdie putt!

A relatively straight putt, the flag was removed, then replaced. I wasn't going to leave it short, and I've seen the videos and read the articles, the odds are for having the flag stay in... And so it was to be!

Align. Stance. Clear mind. Execute.

That little white thing rolled and hit the flag stick and dropped.

You f.uking beauty.

47 OTS on the back 9 was on the card and with that miracle 3w, 99 OTS, for the 18 was achieved.

Golf hey?
  • Commish, BumpunGrind, CaNadiAn MiCk and 5 others like this

#1031 BumpunGrind

BumpunGrind

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13412 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 10 January 2019 - 11:00 AM

awesome, mate. That is a great finish 

That 18th is a great hole, very long and far from a certainty being on in two for me at the best of times with trouble left, right, short and long

• hack2489 likes this

#teamgrank

#theyarenotmypants

#hashtag

#1032 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14635 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 10 January 2019 - 07:59 PM

Good s hit... doesn't matter how you attained the goal you set out with, but that was one hell of a way. :)  :)

• hack2489 likes this

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
2018 ISG National Champs Top 10 Finish & 4BBB Champion with Weetie.  

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

#teamgrank devotee

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#1033 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:13 AM

Cheers Bump n Commish.

The beers at the 19th tasted bloody awesome. I had a stupid grin for hours and was told by my mates on more than one occasion that I looked like a pubescent teen after his first fondle of a slippery slit.

I keep telling them, just like that first encounter, that 3w shot has me wanting more!
  • Francie likes this

#1034 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5494 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 15 January 2019 - 02:49 AM

“ and swung with the clearest mind I'd had all day... ”

Hmmmmmm. 🤔
  • hack2489 likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#1035 hack2489

hack2489

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 11 February 2019 - 03:54 PM

Well crew, it seems the golfing gods would rather I stop hacking up golf courses.

After a few shortish breaks to let my lower back recover, each time I return my lower back starts playing up and in no time I'm out again with pain and often impacting driving a car, walking and therefore work.

In my breaks from golf, I've been more active with surfing, and with that seem to function much better, with more overall fitness and general well being.

Today, I'm home with a weird overall body feeling which I put down to my round yesterday with my caddie. I managed to get in 13 holes before my back started to feel weak n weird.

I was, at that stage, only 6 over OTS too... 8/13 FIR and GIR. A few silly 3 putts in there with the greens playing WAY slower than usual due to recent coring and growth for recovery.

Overall, I felt I played well considering I hadn't touched a club in a few weeks. Driver was solid until my back started to give out. I lost shots with some distance issues with irons on approach shots due to solid contact and striking.

Took a 6i into a pin at 155m, leaving me in my mind enough club to carry the front trap at 135m and some green for bounce and roll out. But, ended up putting it pin high which bounced through and into the back bunker. Made the up n down for par though. That was both good and frustrating.

On another after a solid driver I was looking at 135m so took 8i (would previously, normally have been 7i) and dropped it off the back of the green which left me a nasty up n down. Saved par with an ok chip and pressure putt.

On the par 3, 3rd, at 145m, I usually take 6i which I did, and it landed on the downslope off the back of the green and rolled through to the edge of the cart track near the 4th tee. A blind 56* wedge to 2m gave me a chance at par, but missed with a GA.

So, after all the effort n work in the past near on 2 years, it seems I may have to return golf to the occassional round and forgo any improvement ambitions. My caddie is still super keen to drive the cart, so we'll still pop out for the odd round together.

Otherwise it looks like my journey of golfing improvement may be coming to an end. Other than an occasional social round and some charity / pro am days, I don't see much golf on a regular basis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users