#76 pom

pom

Old Grouch.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11910 posts
  • Locationtownsville

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

The premise being that lower stroke index holes are usually later in the round, in response to Poms hypothetical.

Doesn't quite work at my club but it does at many that I've played at.

Nor sure how you worked that out but still.The point has been made several times.The matchplay index shares the handicap around in such a way that no matter the difference in handicap there is no unfair advantage to either player. If you wish to use the stroke index. depending on where shots are give, there can be a distinct advantage gained by one or the other.On the 2 courses where I have played most of my competition golf. The stroke rating on 1 goes 3,12,4, 1, 6. Fantastic if you are on the right end of that handicap. On the other course the last 4 holes run 1,5,3 12. Just what I would want if I was giving shots away

Member of the Vision Test Pilot Project.
No VTPP11

#77 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5918 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:45 PM

Nor sure how you worked that out but still.The point has been made several times.The matchplay index shares the handicap around in such a way that no matter the difference in handicap there is no unfair advantage to either player. If you wish to use the stroke index. depending on where shots are give, there can be a distinct advantage gained by one or the other.On the 2 courses where I have played most of my competition golf. The stroke rating on 1 goes 3,12,4, 1, 6. Fantastic if you are on the right end of that handicap. On the other course the last 4 holes run 1,5,3 12. Just what I would want if I was giving shots away

The post I was referring to
"Player gets to 16th hole 1 down. Because of the match play index he gets 1 shot on the hole. he halves it and the next & wins the 18th to halve the match.
Same player playing matchplay with the stroke index does not get that shot on 16. he gets it on 18."

Player receiving shots halves because it's match index, player giving shots wins when using stroke index.

Edited by Itchy4Scratch, 17 March 2017 - 05:46 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: matchplay, handicaps, rules gurus need not apply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users