50 replies to this topic

#46 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:59 AM

I found this site in Australia . Milford one length irons. I had never heard of them!

Has anyone tried these?https://www.milfordgolf.com.au/home

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#47 pyl

pyl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationWollongong

Posted 26 May 2019 - 12:56 PM

Following, also curious about the Milford clubs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to be (pretty) good at this crap game, now not so much...

#48 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 01:47 PM

I know nothing about them, other than the detail on their website. 

They look a lot like the Sterling brand clubs. At the price advertised, they seem to be a good value way of trying out SL irons.

I am tempted to try their lob wedge ( 60 degree loft), seeing that it has a low 4 degree bounce. This should be good for firm summer conditions.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#49 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:48 PM

I ordered a 7,9 ,GW from Milford last week. They will be part of my half set for travelling 

Today a 7,PW, GW arrived ( hmmn) with graphite shafts and medium grip size. They look good.

Oh well, I have contacted Fred and we will see what to do about that.

I hope to get out and try them later.

Update: Fred was most apologetic and will send me a free 9 iron and I get to keep the PW. Great customer service IMO.

Edited by xrman1954, 18 September 2019 - 02:58 PM.

#50 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:02 PM

I am impressed  with the Milford SL-7 irons.

I hit the 7 iron Milford SL7 with graphite shaft and landed a group of balls in a small area. It was very easy to hit.

The GW flight was high, but again with good ball  dispersion after 5 shots. Gapping between the & 7 iron and GW looked about right , but I didn't have time to measure it

The flight reminded me of my Cobra F7 SL irons.

Just for the sake of comparison to my Cobra F9 SL irons I hit a few 7 irons. The ball flight was higher and carry about 15 yards further. Considering the loft of the Cobra is a strong 29.5 degrees compared to the more traditional 33 degrees for the Milford , the distance diffeence is to be expected.

So my opinion is that the milford SL-7 clubs with graphite shaft look good, swing well and feel nice to hit. Would I buy a set if I wanted to try SL irons? Yes; they are great value and they work.

#51 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 06:25 AM

From my research on SL irons, the issue manufacturers need to deal with is how to get the "long" irons 4 &5 to fly higher and the " shorter " irons to stay lower. The shaft length isn't varied for ease of having a single set up for each iron ( the advantage of SL), but it eliminates the usual way club makers deal with the issue.

Sterling make their long and short irons out of a different metal. Plus they have forged heads and therefore cost more.

Cobra in their later models F8 and F9 ( more so in F9) changed the shape and weight in each club to get the lower number irons to fly higher and keep the wedge flight lower.

Is the high wedge flight a huge issue for amateur golfers, ususally higher handicappers, using SL irons? From my use of F7 Cobras I would say not a lot, unless the conditions are very windy. The high angle of descent makes them stick on the green , especially for a player who doesn't generate high spin numbers. In very windy days I used to use a lower number club and partial swings to get the ball near the green.

With a lower swing speed many SL players would be better off using hybrids to replace the 4 & 5 irons. Cobras SL hybrids are very handy clubs in my experience. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users