Photo

Toolish - Time To Step Back In The Ring!

improvement goals

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3771 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 07:36 PM

Alrighty, this is opening a can of worms but here goes.  I have worked for a long time on not being flat and Jon's comments on my swing re-affirmed a couple of things so here is a bit of a before and after and swing commentary.
Old on the left, working model on the right.

Attached File  P1.JPG   56.42KB   0 downloads

First move back, it setup I have changed from having my left elbow at the target to having my elbow pointed down at my hip, after watching some Jimmy Ballad videos it sort of made sense to me to help stopping the drag back inside

Attached File  P2.JPG   56.44KB   0 downloads

Still trying to keep my left elbow pointed down, has made the backswing steeper and to me this is a better position, much more on plane.

Attached File  P3.JPG   55.62KB   0 downloads

At the top, a better plane, but a little bit laid off now, not a massive concern.  Overall pretty happy with this position.

Attached File  P4.JPG   55.49KB   0 downloads

Probably the first time in my life I have managed to shallow out the club through transition.  I felt like I rolled the club behind me which I have tried before but never got to this position.  Super pumped to get here!

Attached File  P5.JPG   55.23KB   0 downloads

Back to some old habits here, but I feel I have a little bit more room to move than I have in the past

Attached File  P6.JPG   49.56KB   0 downloads
Much the same here.  Need to get some more work in to take advantage of the back swing work.  With shallowing the club I can turn more but I am to used to doing that so once I rep the earlier stages in this is the focus,

So...there it is, a quick swing analysis of before and after.  I like the after more but I need to put a lot of work in to make it a consistent reality!
  • CaNadiAn MiCk, Weetbix and hack2489 like this

#62 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3936 posts

Posted 07 March 2019 - 11:10 PM

Definitely a much better and more upright position from start to finish. Your setup from your back and head position looks a lot straighter which allows you to take the club away on a higher plane. Notice the stable legs and hips with less of a flat rotation around your base, now they work up on a better tilt/pivot.
Powerful and impressive changes !
You have a little more room thru impact and now don't have the tight left arm up against your chest, thru and after the strike.
Jon...

#63 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3771 posts

Posted 11 March 2019 - 09:00 PM

Todays round

5/14 FW Hit
9/18 GIR
30 Putts

For some reason spent a fair part of the round going at it way too hard with the driver, finally found some rhythm late in the round.

The putter was pretty cold early too, but got better as the round went.

Realised I had got too 'hitty' with the putter rather than stroking it.

Overall, best I have played in 3-4 rounds which is nice with our clubs open a couple of weeks away.

#64 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2004 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:45 AM

Todays round

5/14 FW Hit
9/18 GIR
30 Putts

For some reason spent a fair part of the round going at it way too hard with the driver, finally found some rhythm late in the round.

The putter was pretty cold early too, but got better as the round went.

Realised I had got too 'hitty' with the putter rather than stroking it.

Overall, best I have played in 3-4 rounds which is nice with our clubs open a couple of weeks away.

Score?

#65 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3771 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:55 AM

Score?

Good point!  75.  

• CaNadiAn MiCk, aligolfing and hack2489 like this

#66 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3771 posts

Posted 25 March 2019 - 08:37 AM

So this weekend was our clubs open tournament, 18 holes each day.  Played the worst golf I have played in a long time for a pair of 84's.

52 weeks to get ready for next years Open now!  Very frustrated with the way I played, my irons are normally the strength of my game and they let me down, for some reason I was throwing my hands at it and hitting a lot of smother hooks!

Spent last night watching an Instructional DVD by Lynn Blake that I have had for years, but not watched for a long time.  I am not sure I want to fully go down the TGM rabbit hole again, but a little bit of extensor action and the flying wedges on some short wings felt good.  I want to make sure the handsy flip never comes in!

Time to put some more work in....stupid bloody game!

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#67 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43513 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 25 March 2019 - 11:50 AM

Amen

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#68 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3771 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 01:11 PM

78 Yesterday. 

13/14 FW

11 GIR

34 Putts including 2 x 3 Putts

I have put a lot of work in last week to stop throwing my hands at the ball.  

Drove it about as well as possible.  Still smother hooked a couple of irons by going too hard at it.

My 1 missed fairway I terrible up the recovery through not concentrating properly!

Putting was average, struggled with reading the greens.

In other news I left my 7 iron at home in the shed by accident which is a first for me, only needed it for one shot but the short 6 definitely didn't work!

More work in the same direction with the swing...and some putting reps on the new Putt-Out mat I bought.

• iRON MiCK likes this

#69 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 06:30 PM

I thought 30 putts per round was the acceptable number.

Good chipping within 2 m of the pin helps reduce the number of putts, assuming you can sink the ball reliably inside 2m.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: improvement, goals

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users