Photo

Should women be allowed to join Augusta National Golf Club?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6360 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 01:24 AM

With the recent news regarding the US National Council of Women's Organizations demanding that women be allowed to join the Augusta National Golf Club, we thought we would put the question to a poll and see what everyone thought about it...

Read the story: http://www.iseekgolf.com/view_articles.php...8/367/4/36/0/1/

#2 miike

miike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 02:20 AM

NO !

#3 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 06:27 AM

I think all golf courses, regardless of how old the club - organisation is, should allow access to all golfers. Of coz, with clubs like Augusta and Muirfield etc etc have stringent rules and regulations - not a problem - so long as they seem to be showing equality. If many top organisations in the business world are allowing for female staff to take up high management positions - i don see the harm in letting them be members of golf clubs...

anywayz, I'm sure we all have reasons why to and not to...personally, I can't vote for the negative - esp since it was my persuasion to get my gf to start playing golf...

tho - I do like the idea of watching an LPGA tournament once a year at Augusta...I think it would give us the viewers a more realistic look at the course - if you get what I mean. let's face it - not all of us have the ability to smack a 330 yd drive, hit a 7 iron 180+ yards, and get the ball to stop on a dime... (i'm still amazed at how far the pros can hit their mid - short irons - Duval and Woods used 7 irons to hit a green 205 yards out last year)

anywayz, I think it'll take time...slow and painful...

#4 james

james

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 06:29 AM

Do I think that Augusta National should admit a women to membership? Yes.

But should they have their membership policies dictated to them by outside groups? Definately not.

Whatever I may think of their policies, it isn't mine or anyone else's place to tell them what to do. ANGC are relatively harmless, compared to The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers (Muirfield), which really does treat women as second-class citizens (they can't even enter the clubhouse).

If anything, I'm sure that this latest controversy will delay the chance of ANGC inviting a women, because as we know, they like to do things their way. It's like what happened after Shoal Creek, Cypress Point and Butler National withdrew from the roles of hosting tournaments, to avoid having the PGA Tour force them to admit a minority.

The issue isn't about women. It's about people not wanting to be told what to do.

#5 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 06:33 PM

I think if women start to dress properly on the golf course they should be allowed to play at any club they want. But you got chicks who are almost naked on the tour, sure its eye candy but it doesnt look professional like the mens tour.

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users