8 replies to this topic

#1 choco

choco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 12:26 AM

I watched 60 minutes the other night and seen some 5-9 year olds playing golf.My son started hitting golf balls at 2 years of age and at 4 years he got a par on a 150m par 3 playing off the ladies tees,Christopher is the reason i took up golf so i must thank him for that,at present he can drive the ball 150m+ down the fairway(he's 5 years old now).
One thing that i've done differently to the parents that they've shown on that program was not to push him into it,if he wants to go for a hit or some practise it's his call.

The parents on the 60 minutes show were shocking,these kids will either burn out or get the Wacko Jacko syndrome and be deprived of a childhood,some of the yougsters playing tennis were training 5 hours a day and not going to school instead during their breaks they were getting private tuition,the kids were also doing heaps of gym work,this can't be good for their young growing bodies.

Personally i think around the 10 years of age would be the ideal time to take up the sport.

What are your thoughts to the program?

#2 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 07:36 PM

I have to agree and disagree with you Choco.

That 5 year old kid playing golf, Sam I think it was, will wind up being a messed up adult. I seriously cannot see how he will make it anywhere in the world of golf. His tantrum at hitting through the green, his inability to acknowledge properly the winner of the tournament, and his motivation of money will not see him go far. I don't think it's his passion as much as his dad's.

Now on the other hand, the young tennis girl (Jade?) appears to have the right motivation. Yes she has a pushy parent but she seems to have a love of the game and a desire to succeed. Sure she's been filled with a whole lot of sports psychology, but ultimately if she does not want it, it's not going to happen. Jennifer Capriati is a great example of that.

I know the thing about doing all that practice and weights and stuff can be worrying but I think as long as it's done under supervision and within limits then it's fine.

I'd be surprised if more than one at best from that story was a well known sportsperson in 15 years time.

#3 choco

choco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 08:03 PM

HI HindO,

I've seen grown up mature people throw worse tantrums than that 5 year old.

Cheers

Choco

#4 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 10:00 PM

Agreed on that one Choco.

I think you'll see it on almost any golf course on any day of the week, but if he's like that at 5 imagine how he could be when he's 25!!

#5 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 11:34 PM

When I was young I was pushed into Sailing and by the time I was old enough to quit I did smile.gif (sailed from about 8 yrs old -14 yrs old). Sometimes I look back with a bit of regret as I used to race against (and sometimes beat), one of our Olympic Gold sailers (with dreamy eyes I can only think it coulda been me wink.gif ).

I cant think of something worse than someone being pushed into a sport from birth because thats what their parents want for them. My wife has a bun in the oven and I hope as hell I don't push our kid into golf (I will nudge, but not push!).

Its as bad as parents in Russia who used to get their kids muscle's tested at birth to see if they had what it takes to be gymnists and crap like that.

On the other hand theres nothing as great as to see someone young doing what they love doing and congradulating their oppenents and acting in more civil manners than their parents who are on the sidelines yelling "kill him(her)".

Cheers

Ben

#6 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 11:35 PM

Theres nothing to see here smile.gif move onto next post! wink.gif

#7 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 12:56 AM

Good points Ben, but did you have to raise them twice :wink: laugh.gif

Seriously, though, that was my main point. The young golfer didn't look to me like he was enjoying it, while the tennis girl did.

Sure I'll introduce my (future) kids to sports like golf and cricket, but if they don't like it then that's fine with me. I have no desire to live my life through them.

#8 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 02:00 AM

you'll have to excuse me today hindo smile.gif i'm a little fluie.

#9 gooner10

gooner10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 05 September 2002 - 09:25 PM

The little kid spitting the dummy was funny, you can tell that his going to snap some clubs by the time his 7!

I think the show didn't show how much pressure his Dad probably put on the him, like when Overton asked the kid, "How would Dad react if you gave up golf?', Kid replies by saying 'Dad would be very upset, wouldn't you?'

As with the tennis kid, his got Gavin Hopper as a coach at nine, thats pretty damn awesome!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users