pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:56 AM

Hi all, 

I do apologise if this has been covered, just I couldn't find anything really covering what i wanted to learn. 

Who has used trackman for gaining information on their distances for clubs? Not for fitting, but pure distance?

Background for me is, I have been fitted for new irons, I've just started to them well however, I am now struggling with the distances that I hit them (example previoius clubs i would hit a PW 120m, now I find that i carry that pretty easily). Whilst there is many factors in this and I have been to range to try and work this out, I have found range balls to be very inconsistent. 

So is it worth it? I am currently in Melbourne (watsonia) for the next 2 months and have already spoken to Albert Park driving range and they offer trackman sessions at $200 for 90 minutes. 

Any advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks

#2 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2451 posts

Posted 07 April 2016 - 01:38 PM

So are you asking if it is worth spending money to get your distances figured out? If so thats your call. When I got fitted I got the distances too as a fitting is about all aspects of ball flight including distances. 

• Stix1771 likes this

#3 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40060 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:29 PM

Save yourself $200 and just drop down a club.

Invoice is in the mail.
Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015
Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016
Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball
Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017
Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel
3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals
C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous.....

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#4 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20104 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 07 April 2016 - 02:55 PM

Go and play a practice 9 or 18 holes somewhere when it's quiet, and set yourself up at one of the 150m or 200m markers.

Hit some balls with a couple of different irons, eg, hit over the back of the green, to the back of the green, middle of the green, front of green and just, see where they land etc.

Do the same at a 100m marker with your shorter clubs wedges etc.

Factor in the wind conditions at the time, then you should have a good guide. If you've got a rangefinder even better, just hit balls and scope them once they stop moving.

For the price of 9 or 18 holes, you'll have you're numbers sorted out. :D

• pants likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational

2019 FNQ Invitational Series
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#5 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 07 April 2016 - 07:54 PM

So are you asking if it is worth spending money to get your distances figured out? If so thats your call. When I got fitted I got the distances too as a fitting is about all aspects of ball flight including distances. 

Good point. Thanks. Did it really work the distances for you?  

Gpj_longdriver thanks. That's a good idea. 

#6 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 07 April 2016 - 08:09 PM

Spend the $200 on a laser rangefinder. A round or two and you'll soon know how far you usually hit each club.
  • pants likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#7 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:02 AM

Hi all, 

I do apologise if this has been covered, just I couldn't find anything really covering what i wanted to learn. 

Who has used trackman for gaining information on their distances for clubs? Not for fitting, but pure distance?

Background for me is, I have been fitted for new irons, I've just started to them well however, I am now struggling with the distances that I hit them (example previoius clubs i would hit a PW 120m, now I find that i carry that pretty easily). Whilst there is many factors in this and I have been to range to try and work this out, I have found range balls to be very inconsistent. 

So is it worth it? I am currently in Melbourne (watsonia) for the next 2 months and have already spoken to Albert Park driving range and they offer trackman sessions at $200 for 90 minutes. 

Thanks

Pants

Trackman is useful for establishing differences between clubs like a driver, because it can measure ball flight spin rates, and can see differences between shaft performance using same head. So ideally you should have used trackman during buying selection process,

if want to measure differences in distance between clubs a cheaper option go to one of the Golf simulator centres like X golf in Malvern or Golf tech in Melbourne CBD.

there you can hit 10 balls with each club and record spin and distances with each club.

But the distances and spin rates are accurate for the balls in the shop . If chance ball type or its windy or RH in air is high this will also effect distance.

so its a guide at best.

Knowing distances on trackman is only good if you record worst distance and best distance with each iron, and work out middle distance with an OK swing. then during a round always club your approach for mid distance achieved not with your best swing.

you mention getting a difference in distance between your new PW and old clubs. This is because with new clubs the PW is same lofts as your old 8 or 9 iron,just has a PW stamped on base, so you get the wow factor when hit PW further.

Edited by Can Break 80, 08 April 2016 - 08:06 AM.

• pants likes this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#8 FairwayBomber

FairwayBomber

Just one more putt...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1461 posts

Posted 08 April 2016 - 12:39 PM

Hi all, 

Thanks

Aside from costs, i think a negative of the albert park option is that you will have to use range balls. Although I am sure TM have been re-calibrated, the condition of the range balls will be quite varied, impacting on the figures you get.

You do have options, as mentioned by a few already.

1. Call Pureform. But instead of a fitting, ask them if you can use it for yardage calculations. I would think that if the studio isnt being used, they wouldn't mind it  (for a fee).

2. Get to the Melbourne Golf Academy (MGA) driving range with a laser rangefinder. The golf balls there are better than most offerings and are not the yellow distance limited range balls. Distance wise, they are close to your regular golf ball. At the range, you might not get ALL the distance markers you want, but you can extrapolate from the ones they do have. ie. If you only have numbers for a full PW and 7iron and 5iron, you can guess what the clubs in between will be (assuming consistent lofts.)

3. Gamegolf (or similar GPS shot tracking devices). Simply put, you can tag each shot to measure your club distances in a round. After a few rounds, you get a median figure to your actual distances. The negative of this is that it can't account for a windy day or whether you duff/skinny/shank the shot.

Personally, i think the first option is the most ideal. Assuming you are a fairly consistent ball striker, the figures you get at the TM sessions are your 'ideal condition' numbers. If its windy, or raining etc, you know how much you need to compensate for the changing conditions.

• pants likes this

No one tells my caddy Kiwi that he is a f#$%^*g pr1ck!!

#9 pants

pants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 08 April 2016 - 08:52 PM

Thanks heaps guys. I will give pureform a call and will also check out the simulators if they can't help out much.

Appreciate the feedback

#10 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 08 April 2016 - 10:09 PM

If your going to go all the way to Pureform give Igor a call from 24/7 golf.

They have the latest Trackman 4 (last time I was at pureform they had TM3)

Its membership based but hes a ripping guy im sure he'll work something out for you
  • pants likes this
<p>Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs, 27/12/12
Hole In One Peninsula Kingswood South 3rd 165 mtrs 19/08/19

#11 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4908 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 April 2016 - 02:41 PM

My coach does a cheap deal for checking distances, particularly of irons.  Then he does it up in a little laminated sheet to put on your golf bag.  It is pretty popular with some people.  I have done a similar check with my wedges and short irons, but just in the course of an ordinary lesson.

• RobNewy, KEG and pants like this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#12 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1716 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 19 April 2016 - 03:34 PM

Go and play a practice 9 or 18 holes somewhere when it's quiet, and set yourself up at one of the 150m or 200m markers.

Hit some balls with a couple of different irons, eg, hit over the back of the green, to the back of the green, middle of the green, front of green and just, see where they land etc.

Do the same at a 100m marker with your shorter clubs wedges etc.

Factor in the wind conditions at the time, then you should have a good guide. If you've got a rangefinder even better, just hit balls and scope them once they stop moving.

For the price of 9 or 18 holes, you'll have you're numbers sorted out. :D

Don't know many courses that would be ok with someone hacking up a few sections of fairway and plastering a green with countless pitch marks.

| GolfLink 

#13 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3052 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:37 AM

GCO in CBD has partnered with Golftec and have now moved into the store. They are installing trackmans soon (they are waiting on backorder so I have been told..) so you could go in and use theirs with your own balls if you wanted.

I can't remember the exact prices but I remember thinking it was on the cheaper side for usage and time. Something like $20.
  • FairwayBomber likes this
OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts
OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.4 Gamegolf

WITB:
Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#14 FairwayBomber

FairwayBomber

Just one more putt...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1461 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:49 AM

Thanks Joe. Called up GCO just a few moments ago to see if they have a better idea when the trackman is expected to arrive, one of the golftec guys told me that 247 golf (http://www.247-golf.com/) has trackman simulators. For those in Melbourne, that might be a convenient alternative.

• pants, Joe79 and Itchy4Scratch like this

No one tells my caddy Kiwi that he is a f#$%^*g pr1ck!!

#15 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:08 PM

Thanks Joe. Called up GCO just a few moments ago to see if they have a better idea when the trackman is expected to arrive, one of the golftec guys told me that 247 golf (http://www.247-golf.com/) has trackman simulators. For those in Melbourne, that might be a convenient alternative.

Ahem i did mention that a couple of weeks ago :)
  • FairwayBomber and HitNhope like this
<p>Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs, 27/12/12
Hole In One Peninsula Kingswood South 3rd 165 mtrs 19/08/19

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trackman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users