11 replies to this topic

#1 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 03:32 AM

Who here puts as much work into the mental side of golf as the physical? I do a lot of mind exercises to control focusing on game day, and practice my routine a lot (put setups etc). Bob Reberta has some awesome books on the subject!

#2 Jaster Mereel

Jaster Mereel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2610 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 07:08 AM

Hey Ben...do you mean Bob Rotella? If so I am getting Golf is not a game of Perfect and Putting out of your mind within a week (fathers day!!) as I have heard and read they are the best.

I vote for the mental side but feel that the physical is more important for the higher handicappers and then the mental starts becoming the most important the lower your score (handicap).

What did you think of that Bob Rotella article I posted below??

Jaster

#3 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 07:23 AM

Jester,

Thats exactly who i ment smile.gif dam I'm stoopid sometimes... I read both those book a number of times... excellent reads!

#4 choco

choco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 31 August 2002 - 01:48 AM

i agree golf is played in the mind but to allow your mind to focus on the task at hand you must look after your physical side.I've been playing for nearly 2 years and have noticed lack of concentration later in the round.I was'nt sure why this happen until i read an article with regards to this.
Anyway when i play golf now i start drinking water while the other guys are teeing off and do it for the whole round as well as eating 2-3 banannas,usually i drink about 3 litres.The difference this has made is incredible i now can focus at my game for the whole round,when you become thirsty it means that you've already become too dehydrated and it takes too long to recover this lost fluid.So your better off drinking WATER even if you don't feel thirsty and since your mind does'nt have to worry about the body your game will benefit from better concentration.
Try this and let me know if anyone has the same results.
p.s i tend to visit the bushes 2-3 times around for a leak but that's a minor problem. biggrin.gif

#5 miike

miike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 07:44 AM

Totally agree choco. I play in the tropics and find if I don't keep the fluids up ( clear fluids that is ) I really struggle to stay focused. I make it a habit to have a good swig at every tee...not while I'm hitting of course.
Have to try the banana thing , though. Why bananas ?

#6 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 07:27 PM

Hey choco,

I had the same problem. I used to drink about 750ml of water a round but found by the 15th or so hole by body was dead. I made a point of drinking 2 litres on the weekend and bang, got through the round without the fatigue I ususally feel around the 15th.

Miike, I Bananas are great for sports because of the Carbo and Potasium levels in them, they are also very easy to digest.

Cheers

Ben

#7 choco

choco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 11:25 PM

Thanks for the feed back guys.Ben was right about the banannas they digest really well better than a hot dog or pie,they are meant to be a brain food so to speak and help athletes focus better,i'll try and find the article which i read and leave a link here for you guys to check out. 8O

Catch ya later

Choco

#8 choco

choco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 11:41 PM

Link as follows http://www.healthygolf.org/article.php?article=6

#9 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 08:17 AM

in my case, its defn mental...sad but so true...

playing in the tropics (if u can imagine playing 18 holes in Malaysia/Singapore) is no fun, but I'm getting used to it, so am usually okay by the end of the round, no I'm not under the 'physical' bracket...

for me, it's usually the bounceback factor, or lack of one...it's usually one bad hole that spoils the round for me...and if that one bad hole is early in the round (as it was for Sunday comp -5th hole) that's it...everything goes downhill from there on in...which lef to my worst score this year...89...which included 4 lost balls...wet weather - plugged balls - sure is embarassing to have to walk back to the tee 3 times!!! anywayz...to sum it up...started off well...one over in the first 4 holes...then it all came apart...so I'm sure the prob I have is this negativity, prob not mature enuff?!?!? dont have a clue...wish i could figure it out, and get it out of my system...

anywayz, not too much can be done to help it, I'm just hoping my next outing wont be as such an emberassment...*fingers crossed for this weekend comp*

#10 choco

choco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 707 posts

Posted 03 September 2002 - 08:08 PM

mau have a read on this site. http://www.mindtraining.net/golf.php3

#11 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 08:32 AM

thanks Choc,

have saved it into Favourites, and will get to it soon...thanks again...I'm sure it'll make for interesting reading...

whilst I'm here, I tot I might add more on this topic...just played 9 holes this evening and for no reason watsoeva - I go out and shoot 37 (2 over) - the same nine which only 2 days ago had a woeful 44. Putted better, pitched better - swing felt the same, and I didn let the bad shots affect me...

that's probably the reason why we all come back to play this game every week isn't it... biggrin.gif
my fren likes to say - it's always the one shot that brings him back the very next week...

#12 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 04 September 2002 - 10:58 PM

well, I did get to the site recommended by choc, and I tot of the few that I've browsed, this was prob an approprite one for all of us...

now if only they'll play nine hole comps ... biggrin.gif

http://www.mindtrain...tips/tip19.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users