6 replies to this topic

#1 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 29 August 2002 - 11:45 PM

With the Cup coming soon, I tot it'll be interesting to hear ppl's thoughts on what will happen this year at the Belfry...

Granted that they're playing the 2001 Cup team in 2002 - fair enough - it'll be fun to watch out of form players playing such a prestigious event...and also more interestingly - to watch the captains draw the pairings...how do you partner Duval...as (on current form) clearly going to be the weak link in the US Team...same for Fulke in the Europe Team...very interesting...

I also hope that since 911 last year...the teams and the golfing public will begin to realise that it's just a game, and behave themselves...I guess one good thing about this event this year, is that it's being played at the Belfry, where the patrons are more 'civilised' as opposed to being in the US! Mind you, I have a farnie feeling that if it was played in the states, might not be a good thing with the anniversary coming up...the crowd will be more vocal etc etc...and would prob entice some bad feelins...just a thought...

anyway...let's hope we dont get to see anymore of the antics that went on in the 99 Cup, and here's to a successful Cup - ( European Win - biggrin.gif )

#2 gooner10

gooner10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 07:18 AM

Tip the US to win quite easily!

The Europeans are lacking in form at the moment. Good example was at the NEC, but it is being played at Belfry, a bit of a home advantage for the Europeans...

#3 Jaster Mereel

Jaster Mereel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2610 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 07:45 AM

I'm with Rusty on this...I think the Euros are lacking leadership with Colin M. out of sorts along with Olazabal(sp?) and Parnevik...and there is no Seve anymore. I also beleive that Tiger has everyone under his spell smile.gif

I hope I am proven wrong, I really do!!

Jaster

#4 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 30 August 2002 - 07:48 PM

almost everyone is out of form, but I hope that this years Cup isn't taken too seriously - let everyone enjoy the game and remember why they're playing the 2001 Cup/Team in 2002...

heart wants Euro to win, but head says US to win easily...perhaps too easily...

next year's President Cup would be awesome - with at least 4 Aussies in already...

#5 gooner10

gooner10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 01 September 2002 - 04:25 AM

I must admit watching Fulke earlier this year, his got a really low ball flight, plus its a low hook, not pretty to watch...

But he makes it up with his putting!

Montes got an ass scratching swing! No offence to any Monte fans out there...

#6 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 09:03 AM

I think the Euros may surprise a few people, not necessarily because they're in form but because of the homr ground advantage. US players have, very generally speaking, struggled in Europe and I think this will be a factor.

And don't forget that some of those on the US team have also been struggling in recent weeks - Verplank, Calcavechia (not doubt spelt wrong, with apologies) to name just two.

#7 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 02 September 2002 - 10:48 AM

Well, it will make for great tv viewing...

just came to realise that if it wasnt for 911 last year, they would be playing the President's Cup this year, and I think it would be a closer contest if it was - more importantly, you'll have in-form australian players playing in the team - lonard, allenby etc etc going against a US team, half made up of notables like Tiger, but the other half by players who are not your classic 'household names'

anyway...I think the Pres Cup will start to really pick up and challenge the ryder cup in the next couple of years - too bad the US team have such a lousy attitude about flying to overseas courses to play...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users