#46 BarnEsy05

BarnEsy05

Holing It Out

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32620 posts
  • LocationChopperville

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:17 PM

Anyone employed and being paid for their time should always work their absolute best. Anything else is theft.

Like me, pro golfers are self employed, so work hard when busy and when not, bludge...or work when you feel like it, as long as the bills get paid.

• Tolmij and Francie like this

A

DON'T LET THE BLACK DOG WIN...

HELP IS OUT THERE

7 Time ISG NSW WBT Winner

2013 ISG NSW WBT COC Runner Up

2015 ISG NSW WBT COC

2nd ISG NSW Life Member Inductee...Got Had a Jacket to Prove It

2012 ISG National Championships...Inaugural Supreme Putting Champion

2013 ISG National Championships...3rd Place 2nd Round - Moonah Links

2013 ISG National Championships...13th place...now that's desperately unlucky

2014 ISG National Championships...13th place...no other golfer could be that desperately unlucky 2 years in a row!

2015 ISG National Championships...21st place...that's farked

2016 ISG National Championships...waaaaay down the list.

2016 ISG National Championships...2nd place Yarra Yarra Satellite Game 

2016 ISG National Championships...2nd place Huntingdale Satellite Game

2016 ISG National Championships...Captain of winning NSW Team, SOO

2017 ISG National Championships...12th place...heading in the right direction

2017 ISG National Championships...Winner The Lakes Satellite Game 43pts

2018 ISG National Championships...Best left unspoken.

2013 Brass Yacht Winner (Inaugural)

2014 Brass Yacht Winner

2015 Brass Yacht Runner-up

2016 Brass Yacht Winner

2017 Brass Yacht Winner

2018 Brass Yacht Winner

HOLE IN ONE

2017 ISG NATIONALS ROUND 2 RIVERSIDE OAKS 17TH HOLE BUNGOOL COURSE FIRST SHOT OF THE DAY (SHOTGUN START)

Life Motto: "If it's free, it's for me!"

Team Live4BarnEsy...forever undefeated angel-2-smiley-emoticon.gif

Desperately Unlucky ©

#47 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3169 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:52 PM

This OP is about what it takes to be #1, so how are you expected to achieve this if you are not trying your hardest at all times. Wouldnt your sponsors expect this? (unless injured of course)

No, your sponsors would like you to win majors with the maximum brand exposure.

"Golf is a sport that pros play for a living (job) and golf is a "club and ball sport" in which you use various clubs to hit balls into a series of holes on a course in as few strokes as possible".

Shouldnt the goal of playing the game be that you prepare yourself accordingly to achieve this?

Yes, for the majors.

I work for my clients and work to agreed outcomes in certain time frames. So am I working my hardest every single moment NO - but am I providing the best outcome in the agreed time YES.

Could you not have worked harder at times to find more clients? Do you work harder for the bigger money contracts?

#48 simonsez

simonsez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3156 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 07:50 AM

he is there to do a job and not trying his hardest to win. Speith wasn't trying his hardest at aus open but other time it's game on! Jason Day has the fire in the eyes to win. Vijay did as well. I think Speith and Day will be long term no 1 contenders

That's a very interesting observation.I thought exactly the same thing; particularly when he had an eagle putt on the last hole to force a playoff

and didn't even touch the hole from around 12 ' out.

#49 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6642 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:13 AM

There's a few tin foil hat wearers suggesting that spieth threw that tournament so he didn't have to come back down under and defend.
http://www.golf.org....icap/4071372364

Game golf username : MattFC

#50 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16463 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:25 AM

That's a very interesting observation.I thought exactly the same thing; particularly when he had an eagle putt on the last hole to force a playoff

and didn't even touch the hole from around 12 ' out.

Im not talking the last hole. His demeanour during the last couple rounds was not his usual self. He didnt seem in the moment or in the event WIN mindset that he usually is.  

If you remember Jones pissed away a big final round lead to eventually win by one. A great win nonetheless.

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#51 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16463 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 08:33 AM

This OP is about what it takes to be #1, so how are you expected to achieve this if you are not trying your hardest at all times. Wouldnt your sponsors expect this? (unless injured of course)

No, your sponsors would like you to win majors with the maximum brand exposure.

"Golf is a sport that pros play for a living (job) and golf is a "club and ball sport" in which you use various clubs to hit balls into a series of holes on a course in as few strokes as possible".

Shouldnt the goal of playing the game be that you prepare yourself accordingly to achieve this?

Yes, for the majors.

I work for my clients and work to agreed outcomes in certain time frames. So am I working my hardest every single moment NO - but am I providing the best outcome in the agreed time YES.

Could you not have worked harder at times to find more clients? Do you work harder for the bigger money contracts?

YES but Sponsors want as much exposure as they can get- being highest ranked brings that and its not always about the majors. The majors do help for sure. There have been many major winners that drop off the earth never to be seen again on TV. Players need to be in contention (or Tiger) as much as possible so they get camera time.= happy sponsors.

RE: contracts I live and die by my clients being happy with my work. If they are not I dont have them for long and creates a bad rap in this small industry. Working harder or not to get more clients is my choice in the end, as I dictate how much work I want to take on. I dont get paid until I secure work.

Q: Would or do I work harder for bigger contracts. A: I work as hard as needed to get the job over the line. is The Win

ie Id do my preparation as best as I can to win that job a major or not. 

Q: Do you expect the Aussie cricket or Rugby team to not prepare before a big match or any match in that case? Do you want to see the players that are not prepared to be there playing?

• Tolmij likes this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#52 AGQ

AGQ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:05 AM

YES but Sponsors want as much exposure as they can get- being highest ranked brings that and its not always about the majors. The majors do help for sure. There have been many major winners that drop off the earth never to be seen again on TV. Players need to be in contention (or Tiger) as much as possible so they get camera time.= happy sponsors.

RE: contracts I live and die by my clients being happy with my work. If they are not I dont have them for long and creates a bad rap in this small industry. Working harder or not to get more clients is my choice in the end, as I dictate how much work I want to take on. I dont get paid until I secure work.

Q: Would or do I work harder for bigger contracts. A: I work as hard as needed to get the job over the line. is The Win

ie Id do my preparation as best as I can to win that job a major or not. 

Q: Do you expect the Aussie cricket or Rugby team to not prepare before a big match or any match in that case? Do you want to see the players that are not prepared to be there playing?

You make a good point Madam when looking at other sporting teams. Sponsors are important for these guys as it makes up a great percentage of the pay check.

We did have Jason Day playing the first event of the year with not much practice not perform at his best. There is some difference between practice and playing in tournaments still and I'm sure those that kept playing or returned early, have much better chance of performing better. But I understand these guys taking a break, keeping a good balance between work and family. I won't have too much sympathy considering the coin they earn, but family shouldn't be ignored.

Would be curious to see the stats for Tiger and Greg, winning in their first game back for the season though. Does anyone know their winning percentage on first games back?

Fulfilling my dream to play Australia's Top 100

AGD 2018 - 95 played

AGD 2016 - 100 played

AGD 2014 - 100 played

GA - 2018 - 98 played

GA - 2016 - 97 played

GA - 2014 - 99 played

#53 PerryGroves

PerryGroves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:31 AM

I've always believed that Adam doesn't play enough, to be "match hardened".    I'm sure he prepares while not playing tournaments but he clearly likes to spend a lot of his time with his family and not play the majority of the season tourneys.    Good luck to him....as he is in a position to be able to afford to do that.....but IMHO.....if he played a bit more throughout the season he would be in better shape.

I'm sure it's a life balance thing.   

I'd like to know how many tourney's he lined up for last year, in comparison to most players??

Like a number of the top Europeans, he plays the minimum schedule on the PGA Tour to retain his card (15). If he makes the FedEx playoffs, he plays a couple more, few in Europe, few in Aust/Asia, some sponsor stuff and gets half the year off. Gold
  • Francie likes this

#54 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37994 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:37 AM

Like a number of the top Europeans, he plays the minimum schedule on the PGA Tour to retain his card (15). If he makes the FedEx playoffs, he plays a couple more, few in Europe, few in Aust/Asia, some sponsor stuff and gets half the year off. Gold

Yep....clearly that's what Adam wants.    Nothing wrong with that.   All I'm saying is, I don't think that process helps him play at his optimum, when he comes back to play.    IMHO.   I'm just a chopper anyway.  

• Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
  • Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
  • Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012
  • Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
  • Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
  • Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013
  • Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013
  • Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018
  • Eagle - Par 5 - 8th at Cape Schanck GC - 18/3/2019
  • Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015
  • Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015
  • Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016
  • Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event
  • Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016
  • Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016
  • Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016
  • Best stroke score OTS - 77 - Gardiners Run GC - 11/11/2018
  • Captains Trophy winner (VPGC) - 2018

#55 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16463 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:51 AM

Yep....clearly that's what Adam wants. Nothing wrong with that. All I'm saying is, I don't think that process helps him play at his optimum, when he comes back to play. IMHO. I'm just a chopper anyway.

is this a tact then to become world no 1?
  • Turfers Paradise likes this

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#56 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37994 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 January 2016 - 09:57 AM

is this a tact then to become world no 1?

I really don't think he wants to be number one, Mads.    I think he wants to win Majors  and have the rest of the time off.   I think if he was chasing the No 1 spot, he'd play more.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this
  • Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
  • Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
  • Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012
  • Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
  • Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
  • Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013
  • Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013
  • Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018
  • Eagle - Par 5 - 8th at Cape Schanck GC - 18/3/2019
  • Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015
  • Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015
  • Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016
  • Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event
  • Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016
  • Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016
  • Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016
  • Best stroke score OTS - 77 - Gardiners Run GC - 11/11/2018
  • Captains Trophy winner (VPGC) - 2018

#57 simonsez

simonsez

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3156 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 11:11 AM

There's a few tin foil hat wearers suggesting that spieth threw that tournament so he didn't have to come back down under and defend.

I think that he actually enjoys coming to Australia, fwiw. Just didn't seem to put the usual time and effort into that particular putt

and didn't seem quite as unhappy with the result as may have been anticipated.

Happy for Matt Jones and hope that he has a good season.

On topic for just a second, I can't see anyone taking over from Jordan for quite a while .He won the T.O.C. without getting out

of second gear and will only improve with time.

#58 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 03:03 PM

Interpretation is a beautiful thing...

#59 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16463 posts

Posted 21 January 2016 - 10:36 PM

“To be honest, to be the No. 1 is great, you know, for yourself. You proved to yourself that you can be the best player in the world. Is that the position that I like to be in every day? Definitely not. I would rather win the tournaments that I want to win. I'm 50 percent there with two majors. If it happens to be the No. 1 in the world again, fair enough.”--Martin Kaymer.

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#60 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1628 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:50 AM

Read the John Daly book, he's got a funny take on the playing to win theory.
He says the reason he's still playing is because he thinks he can still win (2007).
But a third of the field have no real desire to win, a few top 25s maybe a top 10 a season maintain the top 125 top keep your card and hey you have picked up $500K plus, if you managed a win once in your career it's a bonus.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adam scott, Tiger Woods, Jason Day, Jordan Speith, greg norman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users