#16 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43178 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:54 PM

Adam was still in the hunt - I don't read that he went in thinking of the game as just practice and not wanting to win

Some people practice by practicing - maybe Adam has to play to get to top form?

Career wise I don't have any doubt that Adam was not as motivated as Tiger - but Tiger's all-or-nothing focus led to some less than great outcomes for him

I certainly am not going to accuse someone at an elite level of not really trying and ripping off the public because he doesn't have the same kill or be killed attitude that Tiger had and maybe has a bit of balance in his life!

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#17 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationAs Above

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:10 PM

Being hungrier to win isn't a qualifying criteria ... being a better golfer over a long period is.

So the proven better golfers get to sit back and just play the odd tournament without busting a gut to win .... seems fair to me.

Edited by 2Putts, 19 January 2016 - 06:12 PM.

If your dad doesn't have a beard then you've got two mums ....

https://www.golf.org...icap/2121701916

#18 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16461 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:18 PM

Adam was still in the hunt - I don't read that he went in thinking of the game as just practice and not wanting to win

Some people practice by practicing - maybe Adam has to play to get to top form?

Career wise I don't have any doubt that Adam was not as motivated as Tiger - but Tiger's all-or-nothing focus led to some less than great outcomes for him

I certainly am not going to accuse someone at an elite level of not really trying and ripping off the public because he doesn't have the same kill or be killed attitude that Tiger had and maybe has a bit of balance in his life!

he is there to do a job and not trying his hardest to win. Speith wasn't trying his hardest at aus open but other time it's game on! Jason Day has the fire in the eyes to win. Vijay did as well. I think Speith and Day will be long term no 1 contenders

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#19 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16461 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:19 PM

he is there to do a job and not trying his hardest to win. Speith wasn't trying his hardest at aus open but other time it's game on! Jason Day has the fire in the eyes to win. Vijay did as well. I think Speith and Day will be long term no 1 contenders

it also led to a stellar career for Tiger!

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#20 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6642 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:44 PM

Vijay had the desire so bad he cheated

Allegedly
http://www.golf.org....icap/4071372364

Game golf username : MattFC

#21 YouGottaHitIt

YouGottaHitIt

8 for 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1447 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:01 PM

I read a new bit from PGA Aus this morn and something annoyed me in it. Yes maybe should be in that other thread but thought a discussion about what it takes to become a World #1 would be more appropriate.

Tiger and Greg both were top of the game for a very long period, Tiger of course way more than Greg.

Tiger moved to playing less events each year and focused on always winning each event he played or why else play?

This blurb out of PGA story:
"John Senden and Adam Scott were the two to join Leishman on Sunday, Senden finishing 9-under for the week and T42 and Scott 7-under and T56.

It was a case of two steps forward and one back most of the week for Scott who played some quality golf in his first outing of the year but mixed it with some less than impressive play as well.

The former World Number 1 admitted he had done little in the way of practise over the Christmas break but will be pleased enough with his game overall."

So why did Adam Scott even play if he didnt go to win? Somebody else could have taken the spot that was more hungry to play!

Yes it was the "beginning" of the season but why not prepare?

Scott more or less fell into the World Top spot and of course now slowly slipping down.

This isnt a Scott bash - just got me thinking about what can other players learn about winning and winning a lot.
On minimum - get mentally ready to win.

Get where you're generally coming from Mads, but 'fell' into world no. 1? Seriously?

IMHO that's super harsh. Will he go down as one of the all time greats? History will decide - likely no. But to get to the top of any sport, regardless of how you got there, that's pretty **** hot in my book.
  • Bernie_Larkham likes this

If you can read this you're too close!
http://www.golflink....k_No=3040204856

#22 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:09 PM

I think part of the issue may also stem around what's going on in people's lives when they get to No 1.

After struggling for years, some kick back and relax and tick off that huge goal, and think fark it, time to relax and enjoy the spoils with family and friends (Scott)

Others are still young enough to have nothing much going on in their lives at the time (Speith / Woods), so the focus remains on achieving and accumulating more, until thatattention and focus drifts elsewhere.

If Scott only had the one ultimate goal ... get to word number 1 .......... when he did that, was else is there to strive for?

Majors...

#23 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6642 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:19 PM

Get where you're generally coming from Mads, but 'fell' into world no. 1? Seriously?

IMHO that's super harsh. Will he go down as one of the all time greats? History will decide - likely no. But to get to the top of any sport, regardless of how you got there, that's pretty **** hot in my book.

Well he didn't really ascend to the top with a dominant stretch of form. He really only got there because Tiger and Rory were both injured and not competing. Yes it's still an achievement but be real about it. If Rory was fit there is no way Adam would have got the top spot.

#24 Turfers Paradise

Turfers Paradise

2019 GCSAQ Queensland Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18109 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:22 PM

Let's think about this for a minute.

Some are hungrier than others to win.
Some have better aspects of their game than others.
Some are simply better than others overall.

Would be interesting to see how hungry Jason is this year.
  • hazbeen likes this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer
Winner C Grade Gross 90/70 01/06/2019 Monthly Medal

‘99% of short putts do go in, they are the leftovers of your original putt’

#25 YouGottaHitIt

YouGottaHitIt

8 for 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1447 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:44 PM

Well he didn't really ascend to the top with a dominant stretch of form. He really only got there because Tiger and Rory were both injured and not competing. Yes it's still an achievement but be real about it. If Rory was fit there is no way Adam would have got the top spot.

So he got there because at that specific time there were no better players playing the sport better than he did, right? Is there another way you get to world number 1?

If, but, woulda, coulda, shoulda...

#26 YouGottaHitIt

YouGottaHitIt

8 for 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1447 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:48 PM

If *insert player* was there and fit and playing better at the time there's no way *insert other player* would have been on top of the sport at the time. Is that the argument? Solid...

#27 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43178 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:48 PM

So he got there because at that specific time there were no better players playing the sport better than he did, right? Is there another way you get to world number 1?

If, but, woulda, coulda, shoulda...

Yeah - becoming world number one accidentally because other people weren't world number one in front of you has no validity. World number one ranking is given to the person who has the best score based on the criteria - full stop.

• YouGottaHitIt likes this

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#28 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6642 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:49 PM

OK mate, I said it was still an achievement but mads was spot on. He fell into it because the golfers that were better than him were out injured.

#29 YouGottaHitIt

YouGottaHitIt

8 for 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1447 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:51 PM

Yeah - becoming world number one accidentally because other people weren't world number one in front of you has no validity. World number one ranking is given to the person who has the best score based on the criteria - full stop.

Can't argue with that logic.
  • Weetbix likes this

#30 YouGottaHitIt

YouGottaHitIt

8 for 2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1447 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 09:53 PM

OK mate, I said it was still an achievement but mads was spot on. He fell into it because the golfers that were better than him were out injured.

I hear you. Will have to agree to disagree?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adam scott, Tiger Woods, Jason Day, Jordan Speith, greg norman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users