Photo

Holing Out From The Fairway More Impressive Than A Hole In One?

Eagle albatross hole in one

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#91 AGQ

AGQ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 06 January 2016 - 06:27 PM

Never managed either HIO or Albatross, so for the moment HIO would be my choice.

Did have hole in 3 once, Tee shot OOB then next in the hole. Bit of cursing followed.

Played with a father and son once, father had an albatross but never HIO, son managed a HIO. Interesting argument between them on which was more important.

I know there is Honour boards for HIO, but is there any real recognition for Albatross in comps?

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

Fulfilling my dream to play Australia's Top 100

AGD 2018 - 95 played

AGD 2016 - 100 played

AGD 2014 - 100 played

GA - 2018 - 98 played

GA - 2016 - 97 played

GA - 2014 - 99 played

#92 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16536 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:05 PM

Never managed either HIO or Albatross, so for the moment HIO would be my choice.
Did have hole in 3 once, Tee shot OOB then next in the hole. Bit of cursing followed.

Played with a father and son once, father had an albatross but never HIO, son managed a HIO. Interesting argument between them on which was more important.

I know there is Honour boards for HIO, but is there any real recognition for Albatross in comps?

albatross more rare. Ps Condor is what you call a hio on Par 5

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#93 hazbeen

hazbeen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 06 January 2016 - 07:43 PM

We have a 'Club Achievement' board with a couple of Albatross' on it but they do seem out of place next to achievements like Aussie amateurs etc.

On the HIO, a young gun at our joint had two of them in the one round recently....think it was at Bonnie Doon. Good young player whom recently cantered home winning a Nick Faldo junior event.
  • AGQ likes this

#94 KCC

KCC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationFar North Queensland

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:03 PM

If I ever get a hole in one in a social round, it will matter to me! :)

I wish you the best of luck then you can go get your own trophy made up add few extra meters and straight to the pool room. You must have a big trophy room if you have to buy your own.

#95 KCC

KCC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:15 PM

But a hole in one in a social round will never be recorded but one in comp will. And that's what you play the game for I know whenever I visit other clubs I like to go around have a look at honour boards. When your dear your dead but no one can take your name of the boards.

#96 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3154 posts

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:59 PM

But a hole in one in a social round will never be recorded but one in comp will. And that's what you play the game for I know whenever I visit other clubs I like to go around have a look at honour boards. When your dear your dead but no one can take your name of the boards.

That is true kcc, but.....

I wish you the best of luck then you can go get your own trophy made up add few extra meters and straight to the pool room. You must have a big trophy room if you have to buy your own.

....I don't play golf to stack a trophy cabinet that I can ponder in my dotage.

I play golf for fun, a laugh and to share good and bad times with my mates.

I'm sure when I get a hole in one, and if it's in a social round, I reckon i will be blathering on about it non-stop. And I think (hope) my golfing mates will be chuffed for me. Until they get sick & tired that is :)

You can ponder yours up on the honours board if you like.

Edited by bazinoz, 06 January 2016 - 09:02 PM.

• Goldy, El Barto, Rusty_Chopper_1984 and 1 other like this

#97 AGQ

AGQ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:08 AM

One of my worst nightmares, getting a HIO when out practicing alone. No one to share the enjoyment and potential doubt from others when there is no witness.

AGD 2018 - 95 played

AGD 2016 - 100 played

AGD 2014 - 100 played

GA - 2018 - 98 played

GA - 2016 - 97 played

GA - 2014 - 99 played

#98 AGQ

AGQ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:16 AM

I'm sure when I get a hole in one, and if it's in a social round, I reckon i will be blathering on about it non-stop. And I think (hope) my golfing mates will be chuffed for me. Until they get sick & tired that is :)

I agree about not playing golf just to win trophies, but it is nice to get something when you have an achievement. I have only ever won a single major event in the club, when the board decided they would cut out giving trophies to reduce costs.Lucky me I won during this period. Until members complained heavily and they re-instated giving trophies, but I still missed out. I can go back and look in the trophy cabinet, but have now moved interstate, so don't even get that luxury. Maybe I have to buy my own trophy, but doesn't really feel right.

• bazinoz likes this

AGD 2018 - 95 played

AGD 2016 - 100 played

AGD 2014 - 100 played

GA - 2018 - 98 played

GA - 2016 - 97 played

GA - 2014 - 99 played

#99 AGQ

AGQ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:19 AM

We have a 'Club Achievement' board with a couple of Albatross' on it but they do seem out of place next to achievements like Aussie amateurs etc.

On the HIO, a young gun at our joint had two of them in the one round recently....think it was at Bonnie Doon. Good young player whom recently cantered home winning a Nick Faldo junior event.

I agree it would seem out of place, but it shouldn't being such a rare thing. Would love to know the stats of how many albatross vs HIO in a year for Australia. Sure it would be a huge difference.

AGD 2018 - 95 played

AGD 2016 - 100 played

AGD 2014 - 100 played

GA - 2018 - 98 played

GA - 2016 - 97 played

GA - 2014 - 99 played

#100 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3154 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:55 AM

I agree about not playing golf just to win trophies, but it is nice to get something when you have an achievement. I have only ever won a single major event in the club, when the board decided they would cut out giving trophies to reduce costs.Lucky me I won during this period. Until members complained heavily and they re-instated giving trophies, but I still missed out. I can go back and look in the trophy cabinet, but have now moved interstate, so don't even get that luxury. Maybe I have to buy my own trophy, but doesn't really feel right.

Yep, agree wholeheartedly. I would love my first HIO to be in a comp :)

But, if I ever get one in a social round, I won't be dismissing it with a "not comp? pffft!" attitude i can tell you that. I'll be singing it from the tree-tops :D

• Goldy likes this

#101 AGQ

AGQ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:04 AM

Yep, agree wholeheartedly. I would love my first HIO to be in a comp :)

But, if I ever get one in a social round, I won't be dismissing it with a "not comp? pffft!" attitude i can tell you that. I'll be singing it from the tree-tops :D

Yes would be happy in a social round for a HIO, certainly wouldn't dismiss it. Great achievement when ever it is done. Just want someone there to witness it though.

AGD 2018 - 95 played

AGD 2016 - 100 played

AGD 2014 - 100 played

GA - 2018 - 98 played

GA - 2016 - 97 played

GA - 2014 - 99 played

#102 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5918 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 07 January 2016 - 11:59 AM

I got one in a non comp round, was trying out Southern for the first time and knocked a 7 iron in from 143m on the 12th.  The bloke I was playing with was more excited than me, I didn't actually think it had gone in. 

I took it as a sign from Jebus that Southern was the club for me, haven't looked back. 

• BumpunGrind, Francie, Rusty_Chopper_1984 and 1 other like this

#103 KCC

KCC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 07:46 PM

Its all bout the honour board my friend in my opinion. I play to have fun and to shot as low as I can and don't get me wrong winning prizes for playing good golf doesn't get old.
  • bazinoz likes this

#104 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3154 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:05 PM

Its all bout the honour board my friend in my opinion. I play to have fun and to shot as low as I can and don't get me wrong winning prizes for playing good golf doesn't get old.

Yep, I'm with you there kcc. And as I've stated, I'd prefer my future HIO's (note the plural) to be in a decent competition round.

But you seem to dismiss a HIO in a social round as a nothing, a non-event, didn't happen, move on.

It's there I disagree. I don't know if you've ever got one in a social round, I haven't. But I'm sure if you did, you wouldn't just be walking on to the next tee as if you'd just got a routine 3 and not bother telling anyone about it.

Btw - by social I mean a true round of golf, just not comp. Not that it would make a difference to me if it was just a lark around 9 holes with a 6 pack in tow ;)

A HIO is a HIO.

And now I come to think about it a bit more, I just might enjoy a HIO in a social round with old friends more than I would in a comp with 3 complete strangers. It's nice to share magical moments with good friends I reckon.

#105 KCC

KCC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:22 PM

Yep, I'm with you there kcc. And as I've stated, I'd prefer my future HIO's (note the plural) to be in a decent competition round.

But you seem to dismiss a HIO in a social round as a nothing, a non-event, didn't happen, move on.

It's there I disagree. I don't know if you've ever got one in a social round, I haven't. But I'm sure if you did, you wouldn't just be walking on to the next tee as if you'd just got a routine 3 and not bother telling anyone about it.

Btw - by social I mean a true round of golf, just not comp. Not that it would make a difference to me if it was just a lark around 9 holes with a 6 pack in tow ;)

A HIO is a HIO.

And now I come to think about it a bit more, I just might enjoy a HIO in a social round with old friends more than I would in a comp with 3 complete strangers. It's nice to share magical moments with good friends I reckon.

thats nice but I don't play social rounds couldn't think of anything worse than getting a hole in one and not being able to claim it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Eagle, albatross, hole in one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users