• 25761 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:05 PM

Kissing whom?
Is she hot?
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#48 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

Tol and OB sitting in a tree
k I s s I n g

would need to be a ferken big branch 

• pegasus2357 and Turfers Paradise like this

#49 Turfers Paradise

Turfers Paradise

2019 GCSAQ Queensland Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18214 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:16 PM

Kissing whom?
Is she hot?

tol
not in my eyes
  • Tolmij likes this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer
Winner C Grade Gross 90/70 01/06/2019 Monthly Medal

‘99% of short putts do go in, they are the leftovers of your original putt’

#50 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

Social round today. Played quite well with most drives good. No wipes or 3-putts. Totals of 27 putts (37 last Sat) & 36 points.

Particularly happy with getting a par on the index-1 hole and a birdie on the index-3 hole.
  • Weetbix likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#51 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:25 PM

I had an 8:30 booking this morning, but it pissing rain so I cancelled my booking and went back to sleep for another hour.

When I again stirred, I checked the radar and saw lots more rain coming from the north. So I was in no hurry to do anything. However, I later noticed that it was fine outside and then bothered to check the forecast, noting little odds of rain until thunderstorms at 5:00.

The problem then was to get another booking with someone to mark my card. A vacancy in a group at 1:30 was too late. So I ended up going out for a hit by myself at 11:00.

The first nine holes were done and dusted in just under 1 hour, by which time I had caught some friends (with a grandson on board) so I played the back nine with them.

I made a mess of the par5 8th hole by posting an 8. That was at least 6 crappy shots. That countered tow early 3-pointers for an 18 total.

Back nine started with a couple 3-point holes. On the par3 15th, I missed the green. Chipped on but the downhill took the ball a long way from the pin. Something went wrong with the putt with the club rolling over the top of the ball (must have been trying to hit 'up' to the hole). The ball only went half way and it took me two more to get it in. So, 3 putts and 1 point.

I followed that with 1 point each on 16 and 17, so 17 points on the back nine.

Apart from that solitary 3-putt, I had six 1-putts.

Overall, I hit the ball ok, but not great. Mid-table mediocrity.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#52 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 08:22 AM

I really like my PW - it's part of my JPX800 set.

I bought a set of MP-T10 (from someone in here) a few years ago, but they haven't 'grown' on me.

On my iron set I have Golf Pride Tour Wrap maxi.  The wedge set had standard grips which always felt too skinny, and they felt lighter.

So, I bought some Tacki-Mac grips (clone of the Golf Pride) from USA and fitted two of my wedges.  I stopped there because, when I put the calliper on them, I found they were no fatter.  I had cleaned off all the tapes from under the grips and just used the grips as they are.

This morning I decided to fix things.  Firstly, I weighed the clubs (PW and GW).  The GW was actually heavier, so it must be swing weight.  I'm not sure exactly what numbers this equates to, but my PW balance point was 28" from the top of the grip and the GW was 27".  So, the lighter shaft in the PW is what gives it better feel.

Next, I popped the grip off the GW and added some masking tape to fatten it up a bit.  I'll see how that goes today.

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#53 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4369 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 07:39 PM

Interesting what you say about variable and in inconsistent weighting bw the wedges , I've always thought that's why have a consistent brand, as in all Cleveland wedges, ping or whatever

#54 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts

Posted 10 January 2016 - 08:46 PM

Interesting what you say about variable and in inconsistent weighting bw the wedges , I've always thought that's why have a consistent brand, as in all Cleveland wedges, ping or whatever

They're all Mizzies, but different models. And shafts.

I probably should get the T10s swing weighted to the same as the PW. And maybe change the shafts.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#55 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:40 AM

Olinda's knockout championship started last Sat.

Playing off 17, against a 29er, I had to give 12 shots.

Fortunately, he can't putt, so I was 5 up after 7.  The I parred the 8th but so did he, so that's a loss.  Parred the 9th, so did he - halved.

We halved 10 after giving a shot. Had a six on the par 5 11th and lost that. His putting let him down on 12, gifting the hole to me.  Now 4 up.

13 was halved with a 4 each (no shot).  I made a mess of 14 (2nd shot into the greenside bunker, 3rd over the green, 4 not near enough, 5 missed, 6 is too many).

Now 3 up and 4 to play.  Birdied the mongrel 15th to take it out 4&3,

Played the last 3 holes out (the 18th was a NTP hole anyway) and parred the three of them.

When he conceded the odd putt, they were all short and 99% in anyway, so I had a good count of how I played. 41 out and 39 back (both 5 over the card) for an 80 total, 10 over par, nett 63.

Next week, I'm up against a mate who only has to give me one shot, but he'd usually be 5 or more strokes better than me.  I've probably had my good round for the month, so he'll need a shocker to lose to me.

GA index is back to 15.5 - would be lower if Saturday's round was handicapped.

Edited by OldBogey, 08 February 2016 - 08:41 AM.

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#56 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43513 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 08 February 2016 - 12:28 PM

Well done

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#57 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 12:28 PM

I'm sure you're all wondering what happened to Mouldy's monstrosity.

Well I have the CURE !!

Collected it on Wed, played in the Golf Vic Senior Amateur at Warragul with it on Thur and Fri after a bit of testing on the home carpet on Wed arvo.  Also used it at Drouin yesterday.

Firstly, my putting stats seemed no better nor worse.  I'll need some more experimentation over the next few weeks.

The greens at Warragul on Thur and Fri were like glass, much quicker than usual, making a normal comparison difficult.  Warragul has another two day event on yesterday and today, before the greens get cored on Monday.  So I don't expect to see 'standard' greens there for a few weeks.

Drouin's greens were quite slow by comparison but they are usually like Warragul's.  I think I had some difficulty in adapting to the markedly slower pace, although I am also used to Emerald's slow, weedy greens so I should have coped better.

Cure's web site says to use as much weight on the putter as is comfortable.  For each side there are four weights, two large and two small.  I'm using the two large ones as I found that using all weights was a bit too much.

My other putter is a 'two ball', considerably lighter and although it's a mallet style, has the weight centred more than out on wings.

The Cure was fairly easy to get the length about right, even on fast greens.  Putting with a long bar of heavy alloy side on should make it easy to hit along the intended line, but I did find that I had a tendency to pull it a little left.  When I made sure I didn't pull it left, I had a tendency to push it right.  Some more familiarity is required.

Since my last report, I've dropped flags off my handicap which went out to 17.  The two nett 75s from the Senior Amateur each dropped me back by 0.1 to 16.8 and yesterday's Drouin round of 41 points still hasn't been updated into GL.

Edited by OldBogey, 28 February 2016 - 12:31 PM.

• *Mouldy, Turfers Paradise and Rusty_Chopper_1984 like this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#58 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6642 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:17 PM

Did it come with coins?
http://www.golf.org....icap/4071372364

Game golf username : MattFC

#59 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts

Posted 28 February 2016 - 04:39 PM

Nup. None at all. I'll have to provide my own.

But I shouldn't need any unless I plan on retrying my old one.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#60 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:04 PM

Ok, it must be time for one of those 'describe the round' posts.

Feel free to nod off.

4BBB Par at Warragul yesterday, playing off 17, partnered with RJP playing off 9.

Hole 1, par 4 288m gently uphill.

I never know, when starting out, whether I'll be drawing or fading and it usually takes me a few holes to sort out a reasonably straight direction (essential for the 5th).

Drive was a draw, under the trees and out to the 9th fairway. Second shot needed a low punch under trees 100m to the back of the green where the pin was.  Shot wasn't low enough, collected some leaves, deflected a little left, on the front of the green, maybe 30ft.  RJP's on for two, much closer.

First putt was good, just past the hole, about two feet to go. RJP putted, left it just short (he doesn't get a shot).

My second putt was dead on line but jumped off line just before the hole and lipped out. Three putts 5 a half.

Hole 2, par 4, 367m, index 2, first 250m is steeply downhill followed by a steeper uphill to the green cut into the hill.

Drive was just a little left, into the rough, 50m to the bottom.

Second shot had to be low, under branches then up the slope to the green.  There's an even steeper face just in front of the green. The problem there is that any shot into the hill just stops dead, as did my shot.

Chipped up for 3 but 20ft from the pin.

RJP drove to the bottom, chipped to the green for two.

I drained my putt for a par, +

Hole 3, par 4, 336m dogleg right back over the same gully from the 2nd. Holes 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, & 8 all cross the same gully.

My drive went a little right, into the hill which turns it right again and back down toward the trees on the inside of the dogleg. I'm just near a large oak tree which has given me grief plenty of times, but I have a clear, albeit low, shot to the green, around 150m.  Didn't hit the ball well, on for 3.

RJP had a great drive, over the dogleg trees to about 100m, on for two. Two putts for a win.

Hole 4, par 4, 268m, over the gully, banana bend right (around trees of course), bunker in front of green.

My drive was good, centre of fairway, 95m to the pin at the back of the green.

Chose my 9i (a bit big but it's up hill and the greens were cored 3 weeks ago).  PW might be a tad short and that bunker is in the way.

Played the shot beautifully, dead on line, ball in bunker.  WTF? I'd used the PW.  Doh!

RJP on for two (no shot).

Out of bunker, a metre short, one putt, par, +

Hole 5, par 4, 306m, index 4, level but narrow, OOB on the left, steep hill into that bloody gully on the right.

Drive went a little right, clipped a large cypress, over the lip but stopped in a clear spot. 140m up to the hole, needed a gentle fade, piece of piss.

Used my 150m club (4h), easy swing, travelling beautifully, clipped the nose of the hill at around 100m, deflected right and went down the gully (7th hole) to about 75m out with a large tree in the way.

Third shot to the fringe about 3m from the green.

RJP is on for two.

I figured that I'd try for the half to take any pressure off RJP.

The green slopes toward the gully.  I tapped on to about 6ft and missed the putt.

Two putts by RJP, par, +.

Sixth hole, par 4,248m, index 18, over the gully, up a steep hill, bunkers left & right, pin is well to the left.

In my attempt to play to the right side of the fairway, I overcooked the fade, hit a tree and my ball rolled all the way down the 7th fairway to the bottom of the gully.

Second shot up the hill, trees in the way, clipped a trunk, ball deflected to the 7th tee.

Third shot to the two-tiered green, went about 2m left on the intended line, off the green into a bunker.

Fourth onto green, not in (no shot).

RJP on for two, two putts, a half.

Seventh hole, par 3, 173m across the gully.  There's a steep hill behind the green, up to the 5th fairway.  Any shot short or right will come back to the bottom of the gully. Slightly left and a little long and the ball will probably stop in the rough, leaving a tricky chip.

My drive was dead on line, past the pin and starting to go up the slope.

RJP was just off the green, back right.

I tapped my ball down toward the hole (it's quite a nasty down, too), stopping about a foot from the hole.

RJP chips in for two, another +.

I confirmed my 1-putt, not that it mattered.

Eighth hole, par 5, index 8, 416m, dogleg left, across that gully, up a reasonably steep hill. You'd have to drive 300m uphill to see the green.

My drive was excellent (for me), towards the right of the fairway.

RJP (unusually) pushed his to the right, clipped trees and stopped on the edge of the 2nd fairway. He got through the trees, then on for 3.

My second shot was good (across the elbow) but just beyond the fairway onto the bare rough.

On for 3, two putts for par and a +.

Ninth hole, par 4, 293m, index 16, green is tucked around to the left at the end of the fairway, gently downhill (parallel to the first).

My drive was good, middle of fairway, 90m clear to the pin.

RJP's was uncharacteristically not as good. Overcooked his second, onto the first tee, chip back was short, and his putt missed (no shot hole).

My second was not really good, but onto the green, lower tier.

First putt was good line but 2m short.  It was up the tier and the greens are still a bit sandy.

Second putt in, par, +

After nine holes, we are at plus 7, 5 holes to me, 4 to RJP.

I thought this was going to be a short repartee, but it's looking more like a book.  So I'll take a coffee break and resume shortly.

Edited by OldBogey, 27 March 2016 - 03:04 PM.

• RJP9.4 likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users