6 replies to this topic

#1 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 09:45 PM

In light of the Rich Beem hat saga during the PGA, I just wondered what you guys think is the stupidest rule in golf.

#2 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 25 August 2002 - 01:15 AM

I think its the "you can brush the green with your hat when your not on it, but you cant when you are" rule smile.gif

ben

#3 sharkboy

sharkboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationNewcastle NSW

Posted 25 August 2002 - 11:38 AM

The one about club directors getting all the best car spaces...

#4 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 26 August 2002 - 01:53 AM

the one that probably gets me is GUR...

divots should be considered as GUR, and if a ball should land in an unfilled divot, should be placed on either side - ant thoughts...???

also...if a part of the course looks clearly as GUR, even tho there's no marking - coz they're too bloody lazy - should also be considered as GUR...and dropped at the nearest point of relief - happened to me in comp this morning...damn p.oed about it...

#5 george023

george023

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 02:26 AM

My stupidest rule is the one that states that if you hit a ball which lies in a hazard (including bunkers) you think is yours but turns out not to be, you can go and retrieve the other person's ball and carry on without penalty. If the same occurs on any other part of the course, you are penalised two shots (I think its two shots). Why are hazards treated differently? They are still integral parts of the course. Go figure.

#6 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 02:48 AM

g23,

the reason for the hazard rule is becoz u're not allowed to touch the ball - even to identify it...so if u hit the ball out of a hazard (bunker / drain) and it's not ur ball...free shot...anywhere else on the course, if u're not sure, u're entitled (make sure ur partner is aware) to mark and lift the ball to clearly identify that it's ur ball...and if its full of mud...to remove bits of it - enough so as to identify ur ball...which is fair enough.

if you hit someone else's ball when u're entitled to check - it simply means that the person is ignorant of the rule, or just lazy - as evicend by wat faldo did a couple of years ago in the British Open...he just walked up to a ball in the rough and hit it - when it wasnt his ball - his explanation - the gallery were around the ball so he assumed that it was his ball, coz no one would hang around an 'unknown's' golf ball would then?!?!

this is one of the rare occasions that the rule works in the golfer's favour - BUT - don't quote me on this explanation!!! This is to the best of my understanding!!! If anyone can clarify me on this topic, please...

#7 george023

george023

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 August 2002 - 07:02 PM

Thanks Mau, I guess that makes logical sense.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users