12 replies to this topic

#1 djcraig

djcraig

Both short & long

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 07:39 PM

We all know how good the irons (epon, miura etc) but the wood offerings range from plain and simple  to the wild and weird. 

Most manufactures have a JDM offering and they look totally different from the USDM offerings. But for example whats the difference between TM R15 and the R15J-spec... just the shaft? 

Then theres the TM Gloire F....

http://www.taylormad...re-f-driver.php

Check out another little beauty from TaylorMade 

http://global.rakute...item/1504-aijv/

There are a LOT of JDM manufactures. Most are expensive. Almost all are forged. From what I can make out material quality is usually higher and a lot of it is geared for people that are not necessarily the longest hitters. Shafts are also not generally seen outside of Japanese market but after some research it looks like some are pushing the tec boundaries with things like multiple sequential kick points similar to the Hiseki wave but further down the next gen path. (thanks to Jon from Total Performance for telling me about the Wave). 

Obviously some of the market is just for show or face which is important in Japanese culture however there are those that appear to stand out in terms of performance and all look to be of craftsmanship levels that you would only expect from the Japanese (or Germans)

Anyone got a J spec driver? whats it like?

You might feel like your swing looks like an elegant swan floating on a calm lake with the sun glistening down and creating beautiful light reflections on the water,

But it more than likely looks like a drowning elephant.

#2 TheEastman

TheEastman

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:07 PM

Yeah I have got a Mizuno H4 Craft (JDM SPEC) it has a Fujikura Motore Speeder VT 7.0 shaft in it.

I was given it (used) and the head I think is worth about 400 and the shaft about 500-600 new. Shaft is very stiff so I just use my 913.

#3 Turfers Paradise

Turfers Paradise

2019 GCSAQ Queensland Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18109 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:16 PM

I like the look of the R15 460 version
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer
Winner C Grade Gross 90/70 01/06/2019 Monthly Medal

‘99% of short putts do go in, they are the leftovers of your original putt’

#4 Bully_BushRanger

Bully_BushRanger

King Epon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2365 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in my mind

Posted 09 August 2015 - 09:56 PM

DJ,

Don't get me started on the JDM topic......    :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

• Turfers Paradise and tigertuff like this

ISG Vic 2013 MatchPlay Champion

ISG Vic 2014 MatchPlay Semi Finalist

ISG Vic OOM #3 Champion Sunday June 1st 2014 Heritage Henley Course (38 points with 2 wipes) Bout friggin time!!!!

ISG Vic OOM #4 Champion Sunday October 5th 2014 Sandhurst Champions Course (42 points with 0 wipes, 79 off the beater!!) Back to Back Baby!!!!

Caddy of the Year 2015 NWRGA

Kiwi "THE LEGEND"

#5 Jaybam

Jaybam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1918 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 09 August 2015 - 10:59 PM

I have an Akira jdm driver. So so soft off the face it's scary.

#6 Rhodie

Rhodie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:30 PM

i think alot of the clubs are the same/similar, just some are made in Japan for their market, as they are supposed to be very patriotic, so some of the companies make clubs in Japan for the Japense market, and then export them as a premium, as the forging is supposed to be the best in the world and feel alot softer. I play with the callaway legacy blacks, and nothing beats the feeling when the head just melts into a pro v1. 

#7 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 09 August 2015 - 11:31 PM

Vega, Hiseki, Epon, plenty of Asian spec heads around but alot of non conforming driver heads too.
Crank have just come online as an option, will be interested to see how many people are asking the alternative questions about something different, rather than just the normal run of the mill OEM stuff !
Jon...

#8 djcraig

djcraig

Both short & long

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:53 AM

yea - I noticed a lot of it was non conforming... even came across a 500+cc head somewhere...

Well done on the Krank gear Jon.... maybe I can get some weights for my one finally. As you know I like something thats a little different from what everyone has....If I get sometime i will  give you a call about the Vega driver head tomorrow (actually today as I look at the clock) to see if there is a chance of demo-ing one but if you only have brand new component heads I know Stu had one to hit  

You might feel like your swing looks like an elegant swan floating on a calm lake with the sun glistening down and creating beautiful light reflections on the water,

#9 djcraig

djcraig

Both short & long

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:12 AM

i think alot of the clubs are the same/similar, just some are made in Japan for their market, as they are supposed to be very patriotic, so some of the companies make clubs in Japan for the Japense market, and then export them as a premium, as the forging is supposed to be the best in the world and feel alot softer. I play with the callaway legacy blacks, and nothing beats the feeling when the head just melts into a pro v1. 

there are some similar like the R15 & R15 J-spec, but to my eye there are also completely different models. I cant recall seeing any of these at all here 

#10 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 10 August 2015 - 09:38 AM

yea - I noticed a lot of it was non conforming... even came across a 500+cc head somewhere...

Well done on the Krank gear Jon.... maybe I can get some weights for my one finally. As you know I like something thats a little different from what everyone has....If I get sometime i will give you a call about the Vega driver head tomorrow (actually today as I look at the clock) to see if there is a chance of demo-ing one but if you only have brand new component heads I know Stu had one to hit

Scratch64 has the Vega irons
<p>Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs, 27/12/12
Hole In One Peninsula Kingswood South 3rd 165 mtrs 19/08/19

#11 Chook Norris aka L4G

Chook Norris aka L4G

BOKBOKBOKBOGURK!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7006 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 12:46 PM

Epon AF-101 here, fantastic driver rather hot and feels superb

5-time winner of the coveted WBT or as Blacksnake puts it 'Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah'

Half of the Trentham Dream Team 

Half of Team Live4Barnesy.  3 from 3, the Dynasty continues

Handicap

#12 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25276 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 10 August 2015 - 01:55 PM

You have to love the translations:

Golfer also give distance!
Performance is the driver stuck in the design of course.

Easier to hold and easier to swing through the finest driver
Please take a look at feel. Limited quantity!

Two types of Royal GLOIRE ORIGINAL Silver Shaft that pursues the shaft driving and playing Royal GLOIRE ORIGINAL Green Shaft and shaft moves delicately, can play as their specially-designed shafts can be selected.

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#13 OlddogMike

OlddogMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 03:19 PM

I have Royal Collection BBC driver and Titleist VG3 drivers both with Graphite Design BB6 shafts, can't find anything to compare with them

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jdm, driver, forged, japanese

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users