• Please log in to reply
260 replies to this topic

#31 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3200 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:21 AM

The funding for the rookie programme to my knowledge comes from the philanthropist John Kinghorn and is set aside specifically for the development of emerging players so I am not sure Golf Australia can be accused of spending money there but some of the other issues raised here are valid questions and probably worthy of answers.

The rookie programme can last for up to five years and consists of the following.

1. Training and preparation funding. This is to support a player with coaching, strength and conditioning, biomechanics, sports psychology and physiotherapy services, etc. Through the Rookie Program Golf Australia will pay the agreed costs which are part of your annual plan with no requirement for you as the athlete to repay any of those agreed costs.

2. Competition expenses. An allocation of funding to assist a player to play in the events which form part of your competition schedule. This can include, but is not limited to travel expenses, caddie fees, entry costs as well as qualifying tournaments. There is also no requirement for agreed competition costs to be repaid.

#32 KeyboardWarrior

KeyboardWarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:31 AM

The funding for the rookie programme to my knowledge comes from the philanthropist John Kinghorn and is set aside purely for the development of emerging players 

That is correct but does he also pay the salaries of the GA officials who administer the programme? 

#33 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:34 AM

GA's site has a section on high performance which has rookie and elite squads ,it refers to a rookie scholarship of up to 100k .Personally i don't mind helping the young elite get started but there should be strings attached like giving time back free of charge when you make it or paying it back if you don't.

Plus it shouldn't be an excuse for a junket for the administrators. Didn't the Olympic teams have this problem , 400 athletes on a team and 700 administrators to look after them .With the athletes being put up in 3 star accom and the chiefs in 5 star luxury .

• Tolmij likes this

#34 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3200 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:37 AM

I can't answer that question KW - perhaps it is apportioned pro rata based on how much time they put in to that side of things. I am not defending GA here just trying to clarify things as the rookie programme is perhaps not a fair target.

• Turfers Paradise likes this

#35 bruce

bruce

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3200 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 11:46 AM

I don't think anyone should go into a sport or occupation expecting others to pay for you. My son did 3 years at Uni, took him 6 years to pay it off, why should sport be any different when they start earning the big bucks?

I tend to agree with this premise and is probably one of the reasons why there is so much angst out there that elite amateurs get considerable funding (they do have to pay a lot themselves also) and yet there appears no real requirement or obligation to pay anything back other than a moral one.  

While it could be argued that Golf Australia and the PGA for that matter send a lot of their executive and staff to the Masters and the Open some of it can be justified by the announcement this morning that Adam Scott has been secured for the Australian open and I imagine that some of those negotiations took place at St Andrews last week. Same in the Jordan Spieth case.

I imagine given the appeal of those events it gives an opportunity for meetings to take place with the IGF and various other bodies so I would suggest a lot of work and networking happens at those events although perhaps not for all who attend. 

• Tolmij likes this

#36 Happy_Dude

Happy_Dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:19 PM

My mail is that Golf Australia rented a six-bedroom house at the Masters, less than 1km from the course. Market rate of $US20-30k for the week. They had an amateur playing (Murdaca) but he wasn't staying there, he was in the Crows Nest at the club. What justified six staff at the Masters?

When you pay your subs and get hit with the affiliation fee, remember what they're spending it on.

We have the same postman it seems KBW

I am not interested in your blog.

#37 KeyboardWarrior

KeyboardWarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:48 PM

I imagine given the appeal of those events it gives an opportunity for meetings to take place with the IGF and various other bodies so I would suggest a lot of work and networking happens at those events although perhaps not for all who attend. 

No one is criticising GA for sending officials to the majors, in fact they would rightly be criticised if they didn't. The criticism is fairly directed at the large numbers of high performance staff who seem to follow our best amateurs whenever they play in a big event. It costs tens of thousands and all they do is watch! What value did these people add for Goss at Pinehurst or Murdaca at Augusta? Or the massive entourage at the British Am which was a huge success as only three made the cut and none made the last sixteen.

Not to mention that they talk about teaching the players to be self sufficient, but have hangers on breathing down their necks the moment they leave Australia.

Edited by KeyboardWarrior, 23 July 2015 - 02:15 PM.

#38 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25693 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:11 PM

Please point me to meaningful financial statements in those annual reports. You won't find them.

This is an odd occasion where I agree entirely with you, KW.

An Annual Report shouldn't just be about growth in equity, but should include details of sources of income (particularly where the major source is those being reported to) and a run down of major items of expenditure.

I expect the main reason is that, if they reported the income, they'd be obliged to report expenditure breakdown and they don't want the junket costs known 'outside'.

They are a registered organisation (at least I assume they're registered) and accordingly financial details are reported to the relevant government department and should be available for anyone to look up.  Anyone know where we'd find that?

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#39 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:31 PM

i have emailed one of the financial dudes at GA requesting a financial report .What's the odds on me getting: 1 a reply and 2 a financial report

• Happy_Dude likes this

#40 KeyboardWarrior

KeyboardWarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:32 PM

This is an odd occasion where I agree entirely with you, KW.

You should be open minded more often I only post when I'm right  ;)

Bruce surely this is a chance to earn your stripes as a journo? 

• Drive4Show likes this

#41 chokea

chokea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:44 PM

i have emailed one of the financial dudes at GA requesting a financial report .What's the odds on me getting: 1 a reply and 2 a financial report

good stuff, this will be interesting. i cant see they will but there is no reason for them not to. not that im a fan of politicians but your federal member of parliament might be able to put some pressure on.....eventually   

#42 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3169 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:45 PM

What value did these people add for Goss at Pinehurst or Murdaca at Augusta? 

Murdaca's coach caddied for him as he did in the tournament that got him there.

#43 KeyboardWarrior

KeyboardWarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 04:49 PM

Murdaca's coach caddied for him as he did in the tournament that got him there.

So that is one, and fair enough too. What were the other high performance programme hangers on doing? 

#44 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5918 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:00 PM

Probably a fitness coach or two

Dietitian

Swing coach

Maybe a referee or two
The caddy, which may or may not be his swing coach. 

There's probably at least 5 members of a team per player. 

#45 chokea

chokea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:10 PM

how did pros have success in the early days without all these hangers on. 

I reckon its a few former pros who have created an industry for themselves in these  national/state bodies.

Now i see golf academy schools charging big bucks for the same type of stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users