260 replies to this topic

#1 chokea

chokea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:13 PM

When a player who has had funding over a course of a few years from golf Australia and or their state body do they ever have a hecs debt to pay?

#2 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I'm optimal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18409 posts
  • LocationHotel Shanker Lazimpat, Kathmandu 44600 Nepal

Posted 21 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

Pretty sure the money has been pissed against the wall like Tennis.

• Turfers Paradise likes this
Shanklink

OOM Tour
I am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide Tour
Winner 2017 Keysborough Invitational

Choppers Tour
Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine
Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#3 scousegolfer

scousegolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:11 PM

Any golfers out there with Tomics attitude?

#4 Harambe

Harambe

I said "cream" not "green"!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts
  • LocationBoooooooo

Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

Any golfers out there with Tomics attitude?

I guess the closest would be guys who have been funded then turning pro and not coming back to play the Australian Open.
  • scousegolfer and CaNadiAn MiCk like this

#5 Turfers Paradise

Turfers Paradise

2019 GCSAQ Queensland Champion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18202 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:01 PM

I doubt they would have to pay it back. The funding would come i from us mug golfers some way or another surely
  • Tolmij likes this
DEBUT: US Masters, Augusta National Golf Club, Augusta, GA 2016
DEBUT: ANA Inspirational LPGA Mission Hills, Palm Springs, CA 2016
Reacquainted myself with Karrie Webb, Australia's Greatest Golfer
Winner C Grade Gross 90/70 01/06/2019 Monthly Medal

‘99% of short putts do go in, they are the leftovers of your original putt’

#6 pt73

pt73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:22 PM

No the funding now carries on for a select group of high profile amateurs who have turned pro and lasts for 5 years.

The info is on the GA website under Rookie Squad.

#7 Shanks4ever

Shanks4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3169 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 08:27 PM

When a player who has had funding over a course of a few years from golf Australia and or their state body do they ever have a hecs debt to pay?

One of my pet topics, there should be a HECS debt, Golf Australia carries on sponsoring promising pros after they have been sponsored as amateurs in the vain hope of uncovering the next Greg Norman who will grow the game. Adam Scott became no. 1 and did not grow the game.

Pretty sure Greg Norman didn't suck on the GA teat, he did it the hard way all on his own.

The current rookie squad is

Minjee Lee, Oliver Goss, Su Oh, Todd Sinnott, Cameron Smith and Nathan Holman

Pretty sure Minjee could survive without sponsorship given she has won $500K this year, likewise Smith with over $800K.

Lydia Ko was embarrassed into giving up her Golf NZ sponsorship when she had one significant $.

Edited by Shanks4ever, 21 July 2015 - 08:27 PM.

• Drive4Show and hazbeen like this

#8 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 09:54 PM

Any funding should be linked to some sort of repayment , ie time and promoting the game here in Aus , junior clinics would be a good start
  • Turfers Paradise, Happy_Dude and Rsc41 like this

#9 Handicap2hi

Handicap2hi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:27 AM

It's an issue not just for golf. I have long said that anybody who attends the AIS should have a HECS debt to repay when they are done.
  • Tolmij and Bernie_Larkham like this

#10 KeyboardWarrior

KeyboardWarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:11 AM

Most of the Golf Australia funding is spent on junkets for the staff, not the players. For example there were more coaches/physios/Aimpoint consultants/managers than there were players at the British Amateur.

• Tolmij and madness like this

#11 Happy_Dude

Happy_Dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:26 PM

Most of the Golf Australia funding is spent on junkets for the staff, not the players. For example there were more coaches/physios/Aimpoint consultants/managers than there were players at the British Amateur.

It's like that at all the top events I'm told.  Do they not have to provide an annual spending report?

I am not interested in your blog.

#12 pt73

pt73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:20 PM

Bingo.

Last year I played in a Golf Australia run event in Perth and there were plenty of GA staff there who either sat around the clubhouse or in golf buggies on the course, the exception were the people running the scoring.

In one round we were stuck behind a group 2 holes or more behind for most of the round so I casually asked one the GA staff sitting in a buggy if they could give them a hurry up.

He just looked at me then continued talking to his colleague in another buggy and nothing was done.

#13 KeyboardWarrior

KeyboardWarrior

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 499 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:34 PM

My mail is that Golf Australia rented a six-bedroom house at the Masters, less than 1km from the course. Market rate of $US20-30k for the week. They had an amateur playing (Murdaca) but he wasn't staying there, he was in the Crows Nest at the club. What justified six staff at the Masters?

When you pay your subs and get hit with the affiliation fee, remember what they're spending it on.

• Tolmij likes this

#14 chokea

chokea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:12 PM

Funding heavily stacked in the elite players favour more money for grass roots golf i reckon.

As for successful pros being funded by golf aus shouldn't be required.

pat rafter was spot on if you aren't able to fund yourself as a pro after a few years on tour maybe you shouldnt be out there.

• Shanks4ever likes this

#15 pt73

pt73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

My mail is that Golf Australia rented a six-bedroom house at the Masters, less than 1km from the course. Market rate of $US20-30k for the week. They had an amateur playing (Murdaca) but he wasn't staying there, he was in the Crows Nest at the club. What justified six staff at the Masters?

When you pay your subs and get hit with the affiliation fee, remember what they're spending it on.

You can most probably double that when you add airfares and meals etc.

They make politicians look like beginners but they don't answer to anyone so it's unlikely to ever stop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users