37 replies to this topic

#31 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:15 PM

What you need to understand, in Commo's case, they are flush with members, yes they will take more but they are far from desperate and don't need to take every one that rings up.
They are cashed up, have land assets outside of the club itself.
The club is bucking the trend and is in an extremely strong position, both financially and membership wise.

Spot on.

#32 Danz

Danz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4667 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:17 PM

No wonder the sport is dying when you have to know the secret handshake to get in the door.

#33 jocapo

jocapo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:17 PM

I understand that and it may not apply to Commonwealth but surely the writing is on the wall in some way and somewhat 'future proofing' your club should be on the minds of administrators. Unfortunately I don't know the history of say a Kingswood but do you think management would have been considering a merger 20/30 years ago when club golf was strong? Bring it forward to 2015 and Keysborough, Patterson River, Rossdale, woodlands, Long Island, Southern and many others all seem to be vulnerable and could be in trouble in the coming years, if they had of maybe considered their options to mitigate these problems earlier things could be different, or maybe not... who knows? I think it is important to recognise the environment you and your counterparts are in and learn from the misfortunes of others to ensure it doesn't happen to you also... 

#34 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:28 PM

I understand that and it may not apply to Commonwealth but surely the writing is on the wall in some way and somewhat 'future proofing' your club should be on the minds of administrators. Unfortunately I don't know the history of say a Kingswood but do you think management would have been considering a merger 20/30 years ago when club golf was strong? Bring it forward to 2015 and Keysborough, Patterson River, Rossdale, woodlands, Long Island, Southern and many others all seem to be vulnerable and could be in trouble in the coming years, if they had of maybe considered their options to mitigate these problems earlier things could be different, or maybe not... who knows? I think it is important to recognise the environment you and your counterparts are in and learn from the misfortunes of others to ensure it doesn't happen to you also...

LI merge with The Nash to preserve their shoe term future, Woodlands has heavily discounted rates for under 40's, Keysie has a strategic plan to sell up and build a new course, Southern membership is over flowing (last I heard), Patto and Rossdale are always talking to each other about mergers.

They are all taking steps to preserve their future, they all are also clubs you can walk straight Into with one phone call.
Isn't your original argument about it being too hard to get into a club?
  • Drive4Show likes this
<p>Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs, 27/12/12
Hole In One Peninsula Kingswood South 3rd 165 mtrs 19/08/19

#35 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:31 PM

No wonder the sport is dying when you have to know the secret handshake to get in the door.

Their is only probably six Cl lubs in Vic you can't get into without proposers.
Out of the hundreds you can get into no worries I'd say the golfer has never had it better

Edited by Tigerblood, 08 April 2015 - 01:31 PM.

• BumpunGrind, Francie, FairwayBomber and 3 others like this
<p>Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs, 27/12/12
Hole In One Peninsula Kingswood South 3rd 165 mtrs 19/08/19

#36 jocapo

jocapo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:17 PM

LI merge with The Nash to preserve their shoe term future, Woodlands has heavily discounted rates for under 40's, Keysie has a strategic plan to sell up and build a new course, Southern membership is over flowing (last I heard), Patto and Rossdale are always talking to each other about mergers.

They are all taking steps to preserve their future, they all are also clubs you can walk straight Into with one phone call.
Isn't your original argument about it being too hard to get into a club?

All true statements, I was just trying to use current and past incidents for discussion purposes and trying to look in the crystal ball and what may possibly lie ahead for clubs. Whilst it is hard to imagine, for all we know the T1 clubs that are in a very comfortable and stable position now, say in 20-30 years we could be faced with the possibility of an asian styled market where there are fewer courses and those that do remain are only for the wealthy.... 

#37 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:33 AM

Draw a 10km radius circle centred on the club house of KIngston Heath, as that seems to be about the middle.  There must be damned near 20 courses within that circle.

So the problem is not global oversupply, but local oversupply.  The happy accident that created the sandbelt in the first place, when the old city clubs were forced out to the burbs in the 20's is now biting them on the bum as there are just too  many in this region

#38 golfbuddy999au

golfbuddy999au

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:11 PM

Hi Tom,

I am a member at Commonwealth and would be delighted to invite you to play a round. It is a great club and easy get a tee time when you want to, which is a key requirement in my books when joining a new club.

Please PM me with your details.

• Mr_C likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: golf, commonwealth, new member, member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users