37 replies to this topic

#16 Lukos87

Lukos87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1628 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:32 PM

I tried CW as well as everyone here knows I am looking at moving to a sandbelt course.
The fees are great at CW but there is no bending of the rule that a member has to invite you as far as I can see.

Tiger is correct about the other courses though. I am currently tossing up between Huntingdale and Woodlands as both are possible.

If you want to enjoy your golf go to woodlands or Yarra yarra. I find huntingdale to hard for mid/high handicappers

#17 TomHunt

TomHunt

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:37 PM

If you want to enjoy your golf go to woodlands or Yarra yarra. I find huntingdale to hard for mid/high handicappers

I'm also currently looking at Woodlands as its only an extra 5 mins drive from Commonwealth and is rated highly. 

I guess I also wanted the sandbelt card that enabled me to play Royal Melbourne and the other clubs associated with the sandbelt group. 

Spoke to Woodlands earlier and they are quite obliging with new members. They are going to arrange a trial day for me and their fees (minus the building levy) look attractive for under 35s.

#18 kennyc

kennyc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:13 PM

I'm also currently looking at Woodlands as its only an extra 5 mins drive from Commonwealth and is rated highly. 

I guess I also wanted the sandbelt card that enabled me to play Royal Melbourne and the other clubs associated with the sandbelt group. 

Spoke to Woodlands earlier and they are quite obliging with new members. They are going to arrange a trial day for me and their fees (minus the building levy) look attractive for under 35s.

I have a game this Sunday as I couldn't play last Friday.

Will be good to see the conditions of the course.

Yeah the sandbelt card is a real positive for joining a T1 club. It is a shame that Woodlands can't get into the group, would make it a lot more attractive.

• TomHunt likes this

#19 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:20 PM

C'mon Guys
Surely there is a CW member in this forum ! You are only getting him a game, he still have to pay green fee.

#20 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:42 PM

Cant blame Comm for sticking to their guidelines, one must keep the peasants out.  But you will be surprised how asking can sometimes open doors.  Go into the bar, strike up a conversation with a likely looking old member and mention you are looking over the place with a view to joining

What you got to lose

#21 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:43 PM

Cant blame Comm for sticking to their guidelines, one must keep the peasants out. But you will be surprised how asking can sometimes open doors. Go into the bar, strike up a conversation with a likely looking old member and mention you are looking over the place with a view to joining

What you got to lose

I don't think that would go down well at CW.
  • RobNewy likes this

#22 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1776 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 07 April 2015 - 06:45 PM

I have a very good friend who is a recent Captain at Commonwealth.

I am willing to make a call to him and see if I can help. Would need to know more about your background though. PM me and let's see how we go.
  • Turfers Paradise, RobNewy and iRON MiCK like this

#23 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:01 PM

Give the guy a break.  Did the right thing by actually picking up the phone and asking them without fear of being told to sod off.  Comm is a good club and anyone would be happy there - a much better course than its ranking suggests, although there seems to be a bit of squabbling going on about whether to continue with the reno work or chicken out.  It is more interesting than Metro, although perhaps not quite on KH level.

Settle, merely a question as he has mates at two of the best tracks in town

#24 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:03 PM

Cost is a big advantage for someone under 40 at Commonwealth.

Subs are $2,658 for 29-31 and $3,067 for 32-35. Joining fee is $5000 to be paid up to 10 instalments to age 40.

Metro joining fee is quite high, 3 x commonwealth if my information is accurate and waiting list for KH seems to be quite long.

That's very attractive indeed, good luck with it. It's a top track.

#25 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:33 PM

Have played Commonwealth and Woodlands over recent months.  The presentation and quality of Commonwealth is far superior to Woodlands and as I see it Woodlands is very over-rated and Commonwealth is very under-rated.   The majority of Woodlands greens are very patchy though they rolled ok, but what will they be like in winter?  From what I hear, Woodlands was very ordinary during the previous winter.  I’d be checking out the financials of any club before joining.  The fees quoted for Commonwealth are excellent value.

#26 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:50 PM

Jesus f..ing H Christ, what the hell do you think goes on in these clubs?  Do you think they are super secret places with ancient rites of initiation and only the worthy are to be allowed in?

Its just a friggin golf course.   I have been a member at these sorts of places all my life and will attest hand on heart they are little more than golf, beer and bad jokes. Stop this ****.

If you can afford the fees, are a decent golfer and not a total dickhead then they would love to have you.  But...... most members are lazy pricks and couldn't be arsed doing the leg work.  So you have to ask. 

• Codboy and Turfers Paradise like this

#27 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:32 AM

Jesus f..ing H Christ, what the hell do you think goes on in these clubs?  Do you think they are super secret places with ancient rites of initiation and only the worthy are to be allowed in?

Its just a friggin golf course.   I have been a member at these sorts of places all my life and will attest hand on heart they are little more than golf, beer and bad jokes. Stop this ****.

If you can afford the fees, are a decent golfer and not a total dickhead then they would love to have you.  But...... most

members are lazy pricks and couldn't be arsed doing the leg work.  So you have to ask.

I don't think anyone is suggesting "it's a super secret place with ancient rites of initiation"

All we are saying is they have their policies of how to gain entrance and they have to be adhered to.

I know for a fact members have been warned off proposing people they don't know, I know of one member that was found out doing it and was warned he would face disciplinary action if he did it again.

So all I'm saying is approaching strangers at the bar is probably not the best method
  • Drive4Show likes this
<p>Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs, 27/12/12
Hole In One Peninsula Kingswood South 3rd 165 mtrs 19/08/19

#28 jocapo

jocapo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:52 PM

I have a friend currently in the market for a T1 club. He has narrowed it down to CM and Hungtingdale.... his preference is for CM due to price and he thinks both courses are really nice to play so he doesn't really have a favourite. Only problem is he is struggling to find a current member with no luck as of yet and he has tried to speak to the club but they weren't interested in him or his money! He is a good guy with a respectable job, a good grasp of the game and all that is required to be a member at a club (has been a member elsewhere in the past) and very keen to get in to a good club now and be there for an extended period of time, if not life. If anyone that has replied previously can help him out in anyway he would be keen to talk with you. 

On a side note, I get these clubs have rules and protocols to follow but surely they need to look at updating this part of their club. These rules were probably written when the club was created 60/70/80/90/100 years ago which was clearly a different market to what we have now. With the way golf membership is going, the clubs still surviving need to put appropriate measures in place now to ensure their longevity isn't compromised if/when a time comes that they are vulnerable like so many others we see today. 

• FairwayBomber likes this

#29 FairwayBomber

FairwayBomber

Just one more putt...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1447 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:08 PM

I have a friend currently in the market for a T1 club. He has narrowed it down to CM and Hungtingdale.... his preference is for CM due to price and he thinks both courses are really nice to play so he doesn't really have a favourite. Only problem is he is struggling to find a current member with no luck as of yet and he has tried to speak to the club but they weren't interested in him or his money! He is a good guy with a respectable job, a good grasp of the game and all that is required to be a member at a club (has been a member elsewhere in the past) and very keen to get in to a good club now and be there for an extended period of time, if not life. If anyone that has replied previously can help him out in anyway he would be keen to talk with you. 

On a side note, I get these clubs have rules and protocols to follow but surely they need to look at updating this part of their club. These rules were probably written when the club was created 60/70/80/90/100 years ago which was clearly a different market to what we have now. With the way golf membership is going, the clubs still surviving need to put appropriate measures in place now to ensure their longevity isn't compromised if/when a time comes that they are vulnerable like so many others we see today. 

I think you will find that clubs that are struggling with membership numbers will change their policy. However, those that still have long waiting lists have no reason to change. Not to say I agree with that, but its just the nature of supply and demand.

• Francie likes this

No one tells my caddy Kiwi that he is a f#$%^*g pr1ck!!

#30 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 08 April 2015 - 01:09 PM

What you need to understand, in Commo's case, they are flush with members, yes they will take more but they are far from desperate and don't need to take every one that rings up.
They are cashed up, have land assets outside of the club itself.
The club is bucking the trend and is in an extremely strong position, both financially and membership wise.
  • BGH likes this
<p>Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs, 27/12/12
Hole In One Peninsula Kingswood South 3rd 165 mtrs 19/08/19

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: golf, commonwealth, new member, member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users