37 replies to this topic

#1 TomHunt

TomHunt

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:33 PM

Hi all,

Long time reader, but first time poster.

I've played a lot of golf as a kid, Canberra on the Federal Golf course (2nd behind Royal Canberra). Recently moved here 5 years ago and started playing again after a bit of an absence (footy). My local course has been Sunshine Golf Club out in Derrimut, but would like to play somewhere closer to home and a course to stay at for the foreseeable future.

I'm 31 and have come to the decision that I would like to play at Commonwealth. The fees look great for someone my age, location is near home and from what I hear about it from members who are friends at Metro and KH, its a great track and a course they would sign up to if they weren't already members at their respective clubs.

However, as you've read above, I've got friends at Metro and KH, but not at Comm.... So I'm putting this message up to see if anyone can help me get on the course. From what I understand I need to play a round with a member and get the reference of another.

I've played pennant as a kid, represented Sunshine as a pennant player and fully understand the ethics and good golf etiquette of a top course. Just need someone to invite me for a round and see if they are willing to help me join the club.

Any help would be appreciated... Thank you

Tom...

#2 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3356 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:45 PM

I think its unlikely that you will find someone who will vouch for you who doesn't already know you via an internet request.

If I were you I would contact the Manager/Captain/President from Federal to see if they can help you with an intro.

Also I think you will find that there is another Sunshine pennant player was planning to join there, ask the players they will know who. Maybe he can hep you.

#3 TomHunt

TomHunt

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:58 PM

Unfortunately, I agree with you on this.

I have spoken to the club and they need me to play a round with an existing member. The do however say that I don't need to have known them for years, just that they are a member and invite me for a round.

I am just hoping someone is generous enough to help me out for a round. No harm in trying.

#4 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:18 PM

I assume the cost of metro and kh is the reason for not joining either of these?

#5 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:38 PM

Give the guy a break.  Did the right thing by actually picking up the phone and asking them without fear of being told to sod off.  Comm is a good club and anyone would be happy there - a much better course than its ranking suggests, although there seems to be a bit of squabbling going on about whether to continue with the reno work or chicken out.  It is more interesting than Metro, although perhaps not quite on KH level.

• Codboy, Francie, Mr_C and 1 other like this

#6 TomHunt

TomHunt

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:10 PM

Cost is a big advantage for someone under 40 at Commonwealth.

Subs are $2,658 for 29-31 and $3,067 for 32-35. Joining fee is $5000 to be paid up to 10 instalments to age 40.

Metro joining fee is quite high, 3 x commonwealth if my information is accurate and waiting list for KH seems to be quite long.

#7 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:16 PM

I have spoken to the club and they need me to play a round with an existing member. The do however say that I don't need to have known them for years, just that they are a member and invite me for a round.

I am just hoping someone is generous enough to help me out for a round. No harm in trying.

We keep hearing that clubs are looking for young blokes and certainly Commonwealths pricing policy seems to indicate this, yet they tell him to toddle off and find a member.

Seems poor form or poor info.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#8 TomHunt

TomHunt

Suspect

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

@Malvern - I did query this, it is written in their constitution (I think the lady I spoke to referred to it as), so understand that one.

#9 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:27 PM

@Malvern - I did query this, it is written in their constitution (I think the lady I spoke to referred to it as), so understand that one.

CW membership is also close to full since they restructured the joining fee and subscriptions about 3 years ago, so they are able to maintain the entry process. As a long term strategy it makes completes sense in order to maintain a healthy membership base at a Tier 1 club.

Edited by Drive4Show, 07 April 2015 - 03:30 PM.

• RobNewy likes this

#10 Jack_Golfer

Jack_Golfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:33 PM

Go and get a lesson from the club pro, that will give you an excuse to use their practice facility. Just find any old excuse to hang around and get chatting to some of the members while you are there. Ask if you can go in the bar and get a drink. Shouldn't be too hard to find someone to invite you for a round......particularly if you buy them enough to drink!!

Edited by Jack_Golfer, 07 April 2015 - 03:35 PM.

#11 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Moss Effect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16097 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:45 PM

Hi Tom hows Mike?

18.0 by Dec  2019  - 1.6 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Overall Tour Championship Winner*

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

* LoL

#12 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3356 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:51 PM

Hi Tom hows Mike?

and york and pork ...

#13 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3356 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 03:54 PM

Definitely get back in touch with your old club to try to get a referral.  Also if you are on good terms with the ACT Monaro DGA Vice President (who is a federal member and former NSWGA director) try him he might be able to hook you up. 

Edited by Hawkers2013, 07 April 2015 - 03:55 PM.

#14 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 07 April 2015 - 04:35 PM

Iv spoken to them a couple of times over the last two years, no chance of getting in unless you go about it the right way.

It's strange at the time I spoke with the GM and he was really enthusiastic about getting me on board but simply said his hands were tied with the entrance conditions.

I probably wouldn't recommend hitting people up in the bar/clubhouse though, I couldn't imagine anyone wiling to propose you under those circumstances.

Good luck though, I know Huntingdale and Yarra Yarra will be willing to bend the rules though.

Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs,  27/12/12

#15 kennyc

kennyc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:01 PM

I tried CW as well as everyone here knows I am looking at moving to a sandbelt course.
The fees are great at CW but there is no bending of the rule that a member has to invite you as far as I can see.

Tiger is correct about the other courses though. I am currently tossing up between Huntingdale and Woodlands as both are possible.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: golf, commonwealth, new member, member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users