• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Squirrel plays golf

Squirrel plays golf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:31 PM

When I started playing golf, I quickly chucked my fairway woods out of the bag because I didn't feel comfortable hitting them (thin, fat, top, all of it an once). The longest club in my bag apart from driver has always been a 4 hybrid (which I love). I'm now thinking I need something in between driver and 4 hybrid. Can't decide if I should go with a 2 hybrid, a 5 wood or a 3 wood...

When I've had a hit with a 3 wood I still don't feel confident hitting it off the deck, but like it off the tee. Just not sure if it's worthwhile carrying one around just for that. Can't really say I'm much more accurate with a 3 wood compared to driver and may just be something I don't really end up using. Had a hit with a 3 hybrid, but not much difference compared to how I hit the 4, so it doesn't really bridge the gap. Decisions, decisions. Will probably end up with all of them...

What do you have in your bag? Is there a place for the 3 and 5 wood if you're already carrying hybrids? 

#2 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39964 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

My 3W comes for a walk...without getting used much these days. Sometimes off the tee...hardly ever off the fairway...it just brings the potential for BAD and WIPE right into the conversation.

I've had a TM 3&4 hybrid (superfast) for ages, and like you, didn't notice a huge difference in them. I now have a Callaway X2-Hot Pro with the reg Aldila green shaft...and it goes as far as the 3W. And is WAY easier to hit off the deck.

So experiment with 3 hybrids / shafts to see if you can get one that makes a difference to your current 4H..that'd be my tip.

Also...beware of accepting tips from choppers....

• Francie and FairwayBomber like this
Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015
Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016
Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball
Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017
Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel
3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals
C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous.....

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#3 FairwayBomber

FairwayBomber

Just one more putt...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1460 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:49 PM

I carry a 3 and 5 wood in the shape of the TaylorMade RBZ 2.'s. I rarely use the 3 off the deck for reasons highlighted by Goldy, but use it off the tee with good effect. The 5wood off the tuff is a lot easier.

The other part of the equation is the shape of the clubhead. Compared with some others, the TM clubface is quite high, which does make it harder to get into the air. This is the case with their equivalent hybrids too, which is why i recently changed to the Adams Tight Lies hybrids. Noticeably easier to hit than the TM. 

The 5 wood goes a bit further (5 metres on average) than my 3 hybrid. If you are limited to 2 more clubs, perhaps a 3hybrid to complement the 4hybrid and a 4wood to fill the distance gap. Just be careful with the selection (make, model) of the 4 wood if hitting off the deck is expected.

hth

• Squirrel plays golf likes this

No one tells my caddy Kiwi that he is a f#$%^*g pr1ck!!

#4 Ball Breaker

Ball Breaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • LocationHome Club :Royal Westgate,Melbourne

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:51 PM

I have a three wood that hardly ever gets played. Actually cant remember the last time I hit it. The 3 hybrid plays like a 2 but is a better all round club. It gets you out of the short grass better . Ive started experimenting with it running the ball up on the green rather than chipping. I get me so much closer than I ever would with a wedge and with no fluffs to date.  

Just flops it out

#5 cerebr_al

cerebr_al

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:56 PM

I have a 3 wood and an 18deg and 24deg hybrid in my bag.  What you say about the fairway woods is pretty common.

This is my view the best fairway wood tip ever.

I would also try a 5 wood first because with the extra loft, you'll get the ball up easier.

"Competitive golf is played mainly on a 5 1/2 inch course... the space between your ears."

Bobby Jones.

#6 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3050 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:57 PM

Some people struggle to hit a 3w, some people can hit them with ease ( :D)

There are choices to make and only you will be bale to work out which way to go. My advice is:

If you like the 3w off the tee and do find it more accurate (at moment you said your not sure) you could look at a 2 Deep or 3 Deep (Callaway X2 Hot is one brand, there are others but to give you an idea) that can be used for both Tee and Fairway. Has the forgiveness of a Driver with large head and can be hit off deck easier than driver. So replace 2 clubs with 1.

If you don't want to go down that route then you need to find one that you can play. 3W as said are not everyones cup of tea. I do find them no harder to hit than a hybrid or or such. 

3H (and I am being approximate here not exact) are generally around the 18 to 20 degree mark so are closer to a 5w or 6w than a 3W. You aren't going to find a club to take the place of a 3w other than the Deeps I mentioned above.

If you are having a hate relationship with it my suggestion would be to try a 4W or 5w as you said or a 2H (Which will be around a 4w or 5W anyway). 

The only way your going to know which one is best though is too get out to a range or store and hit them and see how they feel. I have had many clubs I have read up on and thought yep thats the one for me only to get out and find I can't hit it.

I am guessing your 4H is around 20 - 22 degrees?

So to fill your gap I would do the following in order of testing:

5W (approx 18 degrees)

2H (approx 16 degrees) 

4W(approx 16 degrees)

2 deep (approx 12.5 degrees)

3 Deep (approx 14.5 degrees)

Edited by Joe79, 19 March 2015 - 12:59 PM.

OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts
OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.4 Gamegolf

WITB:
Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#7 Squirrel plays golf

Squirrel plays golf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

My 3W comes for a walk...without getting used much these days. Sometimes off the tee...hardly ever off the fairway...it just brings the potential for BAD and WIPE right into the conversation.

I've had a TM 3&4 hybrid (superfast) for ages, and like you, didn't notice a huge difference in them. I now have a Callaway X-Hot2 Pro with the reg Aldila green shaft...and it goes as far as the 3W. And is WAY easier to hit off the deck.

So experiment with 3 hybrids / shafts to see if you can get one that makes a difference to your current 4H..that'd be my tip.

Makes sense. I'm going to have a hit with the Ping G30 2-hybrid to see what that's like.

#8 Squirrel plays golf

Squirrel plays golf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:23 PM

Some people struggle to hit a 3w, some people can hit them with ease ( :D)

There are choices to make and only you will be bale to work out which way to go. My advice is:

If you like the 3w off the tee and do find it more accurate (at moment you said your not sure) you could look at a 2 Deep or 3 Deep (Callaway X2 Hot is one brand, there are others but to give you an idea) that can be used for both Tee and Fairway. Has the forgiveness of a Driver with large head and can be hit off deck easier than driver. So replace 2 clubs with 1.

If you don't want to go down that route then you need to find one that you can play. 3W as said are not everyones cup of tea. I do find them no harder to hit than a hybrid or or such. 

3H (and I am being approximate here not exact) are generally around the 18 to 20 degree mark so are closer to a 5w or 6w than a 3W. You aren't going to find a club to take the place of a 3w other than the Deeps I mentioned above.

If you are having a hate relationship with it my suggestion would be to try a 4W or 5w as you said or a 2H (Which will be around a 4w or 5W anyway). 

The only way your going to know which one is best though is too get out to a range or store and hit them and see how they feel. I have had many clubs I have read up on and thought yep thats the one for me only to get out and find I can't hit it.

I am guessing your 4H is around 20 - 22 degrees?

So to fill your gap I would do the following in order of testing:

5W (approx 18 degrees)

2H (approx 16 degrees) 

4W(approx 16 degrees)

2 deep (approx 12.5 degrees)

3 Deep (approx 14.5 degrees)

Great input, Joe. Thanks. I use the Callaway X2 hot hybrid and love it. The 4H is 22 degrees. Problem is I think it only goes down to 3H (19 deg) and I didn't feel the gap was big enough vs the 4H. I'll check out a few different clubs of the types you mention.

• Joe79 likes this

#9 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3154 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 01:42 PM

Pfffft. If we all took that advice we'd all be farken A Graders

Anyway, not giving advice here, but my set up currently is Driver, 2hy, 4hy.

The 2hy is decent off tee or fairway (when I'm swinging well that is).

I'm also in the corner where a 3W can sometimes lead to a nice 190M beauty up towards a far off green.

But too often it leads to a big slice/hook/top into the trees/drink/rough and here be dragons... :unsure:

• Buzz1927 likes this

#10 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3050 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:04 PM

Great input, Joe. Thanks. I use the Callaway X2 hot hybrid and love it. The 4H is 22 degrees. Problem is I think it only goes down to 3H (19 deg) and I didn't feel the gap was big enough vs the 4H. I'll check out a few different clubs of the types you mention.

No probelms, the only reason I have the info is I literally went through it as I was in a similar position where I had a 5w 18 deg and 3H 18 deg that were both the same distance in carry. Difference was the 3h would stop and the 5w would roll out. So i agonized for about a month on what to do.

Eventually I put a longer shaft in the 5w and hit it further so changed how I use the gap clubs now.

From the sounds of it a 4w might be the way to go to bridge the gap somewhat.

4w (17deg) and then 3H (19deg) and 4h(22 deg)?  If you stayed all X2 hot that is.

WITB:
Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#11 bill1978patt

bill1978patt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:10 PM

For me I prefer woods, 3w and 7w are in my bag, could never seem to get good results from hybrids.

#12 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3050 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:33 PM

For me I prefer woods, 3w and 7w are in my bag, could never seem to get good results from hybrids.

Were you playing them out of the front of your stance?

Hybrids need to be set to middle or just forward of middle in stance and is swung like an iron and not a fwy wood. 

2 things a lot of people get caught with are those so just wondering if you maybe one of these might be why?

WITB:

#13 INKY

INKY

Getting laughs somewhere else.

• Members
  • 36095 posts
  • LocationOutta here!!!!

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:39 PM

Some geezer used to say hit your hybrid like a 7 iron...

#14 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3050 posts

Posted 19 March 2015 - 02:41 PM

Some geezer used to say hit your hybrid like a 7 iron...

Hmm might be a bit too steep, probably would of said more so 5 maybe 6 at the very lowest but yeah not far off.

WITB:

#15 INKY

INKY

Getting laughs somewhere else.

• Members
  • 36095 posts
  • LocationOutta here!!!!

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:10 PM

Hmm might be a bit too steep, probably would of said more so 5 maybe 6 at the very lowest but yeah not far off.

you need to come to Kooringal again....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hybrid, fairway wood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users