9 replies to this topic

#1 endzaz

endzaz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 12:01 AM

After watching the PGA over the weekend I thought it was good to see some of the Pros seemingly enjoying their golf. With the like of Fred Funk and Rich Beem out on the course looking like they were having fun while still being competitive. Also hats off to Rich Beem who showed you can play agressively and beat Tiger. I thought that the way he played took the challenge up to Tiger without being over protective of his lead and or making mistakes that would give the round away. The standard of golf was what you would expect from this high class field with some amazing saves and attacking play. Let's hope we can see more golf of this quality in future majors.
Cheers 8O

#2 Jaster Mereel

Jaster Mereel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2610 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 06:51 AM

I totally agree with you, I enjoy watching all golf but this PGA really left me with a good feeling. I hope its a sign of things for next year smile.gif

Jaster

#3 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 09:29 AM

Yes it was great to watch but I was so annoyed with the news coverage on Monday night. :x

Seriously, even though he closed with 4 birdies, Tiger was never really in the event after Beem eagled the 11th. Rich's play on 16 was conservative, his tee shot on 17 was front, middle of the green and his 3 putt on 18 was ultra conservative.

Now if you believe some of the news coverage I saw, Tiger was just a whisker away from winning - hey there's an unintended pun there 8) . Why not report it like it is, and give the winner the coverage he deserves.

Well that feels a bit better now.

#4 sharkboy

sharkboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationNewcastle NSW

Posted 21 August 2002 - 12:33 PM

Agreed, a great win in many ways. My whinge is the lack of coverage given to anybody but the leading 3 or 4 players. I know those 3 or 4 are where the action is at in terms of winning the tournament, but i would really like to see some Aussie players get some air time.

#5 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 12:24 AM

So we could see Shark's 80 or Allenby's 8 on the Par 3? laugh.gif

But yeah that's a good point Ricky.

#6 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 01:59 AM

well, to be fair - its the US coverage...when it's the australasian tour, they always show aussies/kiwis playing - i guess thats becoz the majority are anzacs...anywayz...its the same story with all coverages...thursday and fridays are usually dull, coz they keep showing their 'favourites' and tidbits of other players here and there...Saturday is the best...coz u get to see ppl shoot great scores (usually) to jostle for position, and then sunday's boring, coz they always focus on the last 2 groups, and usually they're playing boring golf...with the exception of the PGA...it was great to watch wasn't it?!?! to see tiger "choke" on two holes, and then bounce back like the champ he is, and better still was to watch a player not get intimidated by tiger...I think ppl like lefty, vijay, DD, sergio, els etc etc should learn from Beem...play smart aggressive golf...

#7 gooner10

gooner10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 09:10 PM

Thing is Phil does play agressive golf, its exciting at times, but when you 4 putt from 4 feet its actually quite painful to watch!

Well done to the Beemer, he deserves it...

#8 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 09:39 PM

rusty...

true...phil is an aggressive player...but sad to say...he is a stupid aggressive player...

he doesnt seem to know when to back down...u would think after all the dissapointments he's had, he would learn...but he doesnt...and that's stupid...especially when he goes on to say that he's not gonna change...Tiger is a smart aggressive player...he picks his moments to attack...

classic example is one of the tournaments on the PGA early this year, when phil pulled his drive to the right and tried to cut a 6 iron round some trees onto a green that was going away from him, lake guarding all round the front and left...it was sad to watch...

btw...I think when he does win his first major...I think he'll fall off the scene...just like DD is now...sad...but true...

#9 gooner10

gooner10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 12:17 AM

Very good point Mau!

Good article on GolfDigest.com,

Beem is 1 from 4 in Majors

Mickelson 0 in 42...

Intersting fact...

Phils gotta work out something before he retires...

#10 Ben

Ben

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3715 posts

Posted 23 August 2002 - 01:18 AM

The biggest advantage Tiger has over the field is his mental approach to the game. Pitty Phil can't get his head (that looks too much like Colin Montgomerys head for my liking!) around this!

ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users