28 replies to this topic

#1 Barney60

Barney60

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCanberra

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:25 AM

Just read a rules thread that made me question the whole caddy thing. It seems extraordinary to me that a caddy can provide so much advice and real assistance to a golfer, reading putting lines, lining up the ball on green, providing advice on club selection, distance to greens etc in what is in the most part ( foursomes etc excepted) an individual game.
Then when you contrast that with the reluctance of clubs and rules bodies to allow some smart phone apps and other course management devices, which in truth give little assistance to players, it is mind boggling.
It seems that with a lot of rules it is all about not giving players an advantage or using outside assistance yet I would assume that the biggest advantage a golfer can have is a very good caddy.
Is it just tradition or is golf really a team sport, like road cycling, and we choose to ignore the part the caddy has in the players success? Is it something completely else? I have no idea.
Comments invited.
  • CaNadiAn MiCk and Tolmij like this

#2 King Island

King Island

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:40 AM

I think for the most part people are very appreciative of caddies and they're role

Landing a good caddy is often big news in the golfing world and can be seen as a missing piece in a players puzzle to success

Whether they should be allowed is another thing, but it's hard to police if you have another person out there with the player

I think the status quo for caddies is fine, but wish things like smart phones were allowed

#3 Spartan52

Spartan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1849 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:52 AM

I thought the Smart phones had been allowed now?
Not with Slope but as DMD's at least.

I know playing Ambrose events having another set of eyes read the putt is a big bonus especially if they're better at it than me!

#4 BGH

BGH

Ruggedly handsome member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationYou stay classy Melbourne

Posted 08 January 2015 - 07:52 AM

Professional golf would be more interesting to watch if we scrapped caddies altogether.

• Tolmij and cummo_3 like this

#5 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27257 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:00 AM

Professional golf would be more interesting to watch if we scrapped caddies altogether.

Agree, can't think of any other sport where so much outside assistance is used. Are proffessinal golfers incapable of playing on their own.

I would think with the money involved they should be more self sufficient.
Intended to break 90 this year, not going well.

Concentrating just getting round the course

#6 BumpunGrind

BumpunGrind

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13414 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:05 AM

Agree, can't think of any other sport where so much outside assistance is used. Are proffessinal golfers incapable of playing on their own.

I would think with the money involved they should be more self sufficient.

without thinking, Gridiron would be is one that springs to mind.

Some Quarterbacks have the play book written on their arm guards nowadays. If that isn't outside assistance then I don't know what is. 

#teamgrank

#theyarenotmypants

#hashtag

#7 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27257 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:22 AM

without thinking, Gridiron would be is one that springs to mind.
Some Quarterbacks have the play book written on their arm guards nowadays. If that isn't outside assistance then I don't know what is.

Big difference, that is a part of their sport.

I cannot say to a fellow competitor, what club did you use? it's against the rules. Why then can you ask your partner or a caddie? it's the same action, the same outcome, some one has helped you so why the difference? It should be ask anyone or ask no one.

Golf is supposed to be an individual sport, it certainly is not an individual sport when you use a caddie.
  • Barney60 likes this
Intended to break 90 this year, not going well.

Concentrating just getting round the course

#8 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 09:30 AM

I have a suspicion that one of the major reasons they allow it is that it would be impossible to prevent it. IF someone is carrying your bag, it would not be possible to create or police a rule that prevented them from giving advice, there would be all sorts of tricks they could pull.

Other than carrying bags, much of the caddy's value and livelihood is based on their ability to offer local knowledge of a course that the player has not seen before. So would you then suggest it is ok for the caddy to say where a blind fairway was, but not ok to suggest what club to hit.

It would all be just too hard so they let them do everything

#9 JustABear

JustABear

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:05 AM

I thought the Smart phones had been allowed now?
Not with Slope but as DMD's at least.

I know playing Ambrose events having another set of eyes read the putt is a big bonus especially if they're better at it than me!

My understanding is that Smart Phones as DMD's are allowed, as long as the clubs allow it as a local rule. Unfortunately, many clubs take that to mean they can have a local rule specifically dis-allowing them as well.. 

#10 G_LENN

G_LENN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • LocationMacedon Ranges

Posted 08 January 2015 - 10:41 AM

Would be very interesting to watch.

Do you think it would result it quicker or longer rounds?

• The-new-dave likes this

your teachers lied, we ain't born equals

my whole life they said I was a cheat code

participation ribbons gon' get repo'd

cos your chance of playin on my level less than ZEROOOOOOO

#11 Barney60

Barney60

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCanberra

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:14 AM

Tolmij says ask anyone or ask no one. I like that . Simple.
I would simply amend it to ask anyone or anything or no one and nothing.
Currently allowed, ' Steve, I hit a 7 iron here yesterday, dead to the hole. Same club again.'
'No Tiger, the wind here yesterday was off to the left a bit more, this one is off to the right and blowing harder at the green, you got an extra 4 yards, your two in front, the danger is in front of the green so hit a knock down six and put it to the back. Remember you tempo, your been swinging a bit hard, ease it in. Cmon champ, knock it dead'

Currently not allowed.
Golfshot
Distance to green 180 yds, wind 12 knots from the n/e. Average yardage of clubs 7 iron 175 yards 6 iron 185 yds. Green 1 metre above current position.

And the second is disallowed because of the assistance it provides to the golfer!
The rules certainly need to keep up with the technology.
  • CaNadiAn MiCk, Tolmij, JustABear and 1 other like this

#12 The-new-dave

The-new-dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2451 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:34 AM

If the mad my way .....
And I have said this before ...l.

Caddies would carry the bag and that's it, clean the clubs and ball

I would ban club selection talk
I would ban lining up putts

I would ban the caddy having any "play advice" at all....zilch on advice

He carries the clubs that's it!

I know I will get shouted down for this view ......don't bother trying to change my view on it

I can't think of another sport that allows a coach and bag career on the field of play. There is no other sport bar maybe american football where coaches have such an influence on play and why I can't stand the game. ...I love the ga,e of golf but watching caddies and players stanf there for ages debating this and that is utter crap.

And I tell you what the game would be far quicker also.

I would allw the carry to say the yardages and calculate those but now allw him then to say yeah Greg that's strong seven or soft six iron

No club advice ..essentially the caddy would be under the same rules as an opposing player. Now I know people this will never ever happen so let's not bother debating it. It's a pipe dream I would love to see and I belive would speed up the game

Allw the caddies a yardage book and GPS ...they tell the player what he needs to know ......I'm sure the player who has hit ten million range shots knows what to hit when given the right yardage.

These are strong views I know. But watching the female caddies line up putts was insane ...I said to my wife....just give the stick to the cadie and let her hit the friggin putt ...she may as well.
  • Tolmij likes this

#13 The-new-dave

The-new-dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2451 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:36 AM

See my post

I agree

Yes initially would be slower

Allow the caddie to be like an opposing player

Distance fine, let him carry his yardage book and allow him a GPS also ....but no to any club advice or putting advice.

Over time I belive this would be a much better game to watch and a lot quicker for pros ...and if they don't speed up....then penalise them. Simple. They would soon learn.

#14 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16536 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

My understanding is that Smart Phones as DMD's are allowed, as long as the clubs allow it as a local rule. Unfortunately, many clubs take that to mean they can have a local rule specifically dis-allowing them as well.. 

Some discussion here from the experts http://forums.iseekg...-3#entry1259369

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#15 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:13 PM

It would definitely be a lot slower. Players now have to clean their own clubs, fix their own divots, etc. If players like to have their caddie help them read putts those guys would take even longer on the greens. The whole thing would be a shamozzle.

That being said, it's a good point Barney made about clubs not allowing smart phones, but would allow caddies. Removing caddies is a step backwards in my opinion and I'd even go further and say the PGA should hurry up and let caddies on tour use DMD's.

| GolfLink 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Caddies, help, assistance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users