#76 Rusty_Chopper_1984

Rusty_Chopper_1984

The Next Big Thing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11945 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:22 PM

I tried the callaway supersoft today nota good ball at all

from the 1st tee it decided it didn't like golf and escaped the golf club by jumping the fence and headed down the street never to be seen again

it was the 1st time in over 12 months a golf bal wanted to depart ways with me on my home course

Did you touch it inappropriately Oz?.;-) I dont have an issue with them.:-) I find they are not a bad ball but each to his own.:-)
http://www.golflink....k_No=5012901532

2014 C Grade Winner OOM 2 Growling Frog

47 pts 55/40 off 35 at Kooringal Golf Club after shooting 107 first time I played it.

2014 Eagle on 15th par 4 at Rosebud Country Club on North/East.

2015 Eagle 17th hole at Trentham Golf Course.

2015 C Grade Winner 00M 2 Settlers Run

2015 Race to 18 Winner

2015 BHIC shortest Drive winner 61m

2015 Overall C Grade Runner up

Roy McAvoy: Such a pure feeling is the well struck golf shot.

#77 mbrownstone

mbrownstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:16 PM

I would expect that any new ball from Callaway should help me play like Phil and his 30 or more years of constantly playing the game. His playing four pga games a week and hours of constant practice, three coaches and equipment designed to his specifics should be mimicked by me investing no more than $40 a dozen.
  • The_Boz, KEG and Rusty_Chopper_1984 like this

#78 marcush39

marcush39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

Used a couple of my prizes in the pro shop on these balls today & it's not a bad ball. I won't be rushing out to buy a box of them but wouldn't return them if given a box for Christmas. Feels nice off the driver & a soft feel off the irons. I didn't notice a lot of extra green side spin as per the other online reviews, though I have been using a B330RX so perhaps I've grown accustomed to it. Feel off the putter was ok, didn't notice a big difference to the SR2 I had previously tried. My criticism of Callway balls has been lack of durability. Having used SR2, X2Hot, Supersoft & Hex Chrome balls before, I've noticed they scuff really easily. I have an SR2 in my bag that had been used on 4 holes & had hit a gum tree once, yet the ball looked like it went the distance with Mike Tyson in his heyday. Chrome Soft is still in reasonable shape (used it for 13 holes today) and performed quite well. Overall, it's a decent ball but would I pay $45 a dozen? No. FWIW, IMO the Bridgestone B330RX is a better ball in the same price bracket.
  • The_Boz likes this

#79 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3052 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:43 AM

.....My criticism of Callway balls has been lack of durability. .... Supersoft ....

The others I will concede but Supersoft not durable? Find this hard to believe.

I have balls I have hit into trees, into rocks, into you name it and the only time I have seen the ball scuff is from a mis hit drive that skimmed the cart path three times other than that I have balls that are a a month old with minimal show of use (and Yes it has been used :P).

And even then the ball was still good enough to use as a chipping ball. 

• The_Boz and Rusty_Chopper_1984 like this
OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts
OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.4 Gamegolf

WITB:
Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#80 marcush39

marcush39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

I don't dispute you Joe, not at all.  I'm merely conveying my experiences with those balls.  I'll admit I only had one of the Supersoft balls to try and the one I had scuffed after being hit into the trees, not unexpected, granted, but many other makes don't scuff like the Callways tend to.  Each to their own I guess.  I'm reliably informed that Supersoft is by far and away Callaway's best selling ball so it'll be interesting to see if Chrome Soft affects the sales of Supersoft.

• Joe79 likes this

#81 upnin

upnin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1908 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:46 PM

Tried it today - quite impressed. No real loss of distance with the driver. Good distance with the irons. Certainly feels softer to chip and putt.

Only played 9 - the real test comes tomorrow over 18.

Did scuff after a well hit wedge shot though. The price point doesn't bother me as I'll get them for cost + 10%...whatever that's going to be.

#82 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3052 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 27 January 2015 - 08:06 PM

All good Marcush.

On the CS front. I see golf box has them for 45. The frog has them at 39. Only 2 I have seen so far.

39 would be the most I would pay for them. Waiting to see where GCO falls with them.

I would of thought a 35 price point would of been spot on for them but if it is going to 40+ then they need to be SR3 replacements before I think about it.

Stand by what I said earlier. Buy 1 do for every 2 or 3 SS. Use the CS for comp and SS for practise and social rounds.
OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts
OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.4 Gamegolf

WITB:
Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#83 Zenstb

Zenstb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2919 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:07 AM

I brought a box of Chromes and pretty impressed with them so far. I generally use two balls, down at the Nash when it's really windy I found the Taylor made didn't move as much in the wind as the Pro V1, at LI , I use the Pro V1 being softer around the greens. So far I'm finding the Chrome is a combination of both balls. the ball is soft around the greens and doesn't seem to move as much as the ProV1 in the wind and plays like the TM. 

I have to still play more with it to make a final decision although so far pretty happy. On one shot from 40 meters I got slightly thin which with the Pro V1 skips on a little, I was surprised the Chrome pulled up quick and didn't skip on as much. I also found I didn't seem to lose as much distance in the wind as the ProV1 and to me I feel it plays softer and feels better off the face than the ProV1. Although still reserved until i play more with the ball although so far so good.  

IMO this ball is about performance not durability, if people are after durability they should use a more durable rock instead. The old balata days you hit one thin you would put a smiley face in the ball.  If we compare a similar performance ball like the old balata the Chrome is far more durable than  the old ball with similar performance capabilities. 

Edited by Zenstb, 29 January 2015 - 11:13 AM.

Coordination is the key to movement

#84 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11279 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:50 AM

HoG hove the Chrome Soft for $44.95

#85 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6952 posts
  • Locationbacchus marsh

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:06 PM

I have been playing this ball for awhile now

I am not sure wether I am getting any new distance of the tee with it as I think I am only hitting it as far as the callaway sr2 was going

I found the ball doesn't scuff up as bad as what the sr2 does and  on pitches and chips the ball is very receptive and can stop on a dime if needed to  as well as getting some good spin back for just a chopper like me

hitting the ball with  irons  well  its a nice clean crisp sound

putting with the ball I  find it rather good off the putter face

I think this ball is very good for the average joe blow  as this ball can do what a pro v1 can do  but you don't get that bad side spin  like yado with the pro v's

I just not certain if its everyones type of ball  but I rather like it it and I think I will be keeping it in the bag

I AM ALWAYS FORCED TO DO SH1T I'M NOT QUALIFIED FOR. LIKE BEING NICE TO BLOODY ID1OTS :P :D

golflink # http://www.golflink....k_no=3040204492

#86 INKY

INKY

Getting laughs somewhere else.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36099 posts
  • LocationOutta here!!!!

Posted 08 March 2015 - 05:14 PM

I have been playing this ball for awhile now

I am not sure wether I am getting any new distance of the tee with it as I think I am only hitting it as far as the callaway sr2 was going

I found the ball doesn't scuff up as bad as what the sr2 does and  on pitches and chips the ball is very receptive and can stop on a dime if needed to  as well as getting some good spin back for just a chopper like me

hitting the ball with  irons  well  its a nice clean crisp sound

putting with the ball I  find it rather good off the putter face

I think this ball is very good for the average joe blow  as this ball can do what a pro v1 can do  but you don't get that bad side spin  like yado with the pro v's

I just not certain if its everyones type of ball  but I rather like it it and I think I will be keeping it in the bag

how do you think it compares to the SR2 on the short game?

#87 KEG

KEG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1024 posts
  • LocationLeicester City

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:25 PM

I like them bought a sleeve to try them and yeah can't fault them very hard to scuff up as well. Spewing I bought a box of Z Stars and E6s with some vouchers.

-2015 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade & Overall Winner
-2016 Team Winner of the Vincent Cup @ Barwon Heads
-2017 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "B" Grade Winner & N/P
-2017 GDGA Div 5 Pennant Winners (Winchelsea)
-2018 ISG Vic OOM#1 GROWLING FROG "A" Grade Winner

-2019 Team Winner Barwon Cup @ Barwon Heads

-2019 A Grade 27 hole Nett Winner Geelong GC Open
Single figures reached(9.5) on 28//8/2016
Lowest H/C 5.3  on 22/09/19
PB Round 69/7/62!! (16/3/19) Winchelsea par 69
PB Round 76/11/65 (14/7/18) Curlewis par 72
2018 Nationals Putting God!!😎👊
http://www.golflink....49&dt=1&skip=1#<p><p>https://www.gamegolf.../player/keggolf

#88 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6952 posts
  • Locationbacchus marsh

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:27 PM

how do you think it compares to the SR2 on the short game?

the sr2  to the chrome soft well I get more  spin on the chrome soft then I do with the sr2 not much more

I am finding If I mishit a chip shot or a pitch in  with the chrome soft it is going to pull up pretty quick 

where as an sr2 it would pull up and run a tad more.. I am finding a lot of confidence around the green with this ball

to be honest  though inkosi  both the sr2 and chrome soft  not much difference  if anything the chrome soft  re-acts better with the short game

Edited by ozdevil, 08 March 2015 - 11:28 PM.

• INKY likes this
I AM ALWAYS FORCED TO DO SH1T I'M NOT QUALIFIED FOR. LIKE BEING NICE TO BLOODY ID1OTS :P :D

golflink # http://www.golflink....k_no=3040204492

#89 INKY

INKY

Getting laughs somewhere else.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36099 posts
  • LocationOutta here!!!!

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:59 AM

the sr2  to the chrome soft well I get more  spin on the chrome soft then I do with the sr2 not much more

I am finding If I mishit a chip shot or a pitch in  with the chrome soft it is going to pull up pretty quick 

where as an sr2 it would pull up and run a tad more.. I am finding a lot of confidence around the green with this ball

to be honest  though inkosi  both the sr2 and chrome soft  not much difference  if anything the chrome soft  re-acts better with the short game

Will give the CS a run the next couple of weeks...

#90 Kannis

Kannis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSydney NSW

Posted 09 March 2015 - 01:19 PM

How is the stopping power of these? looking to try a new soft ball that spins and stops on the green. Cheers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: golf ball, chrome, callaway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users