239 replies to this topic

#226 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 27 February 2016 - 06:45 PM

I find that the yellow chrome soft has a harder feel than the white !!! Can this be ?

• The_Boz likes this

#227 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3112 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 27 February 2016 - 08:18 PM

Depending on how the cover material is coloured the non white balls tend to be harder,

Ti Oxide in White covers can make the material more flexible and springy,,,, what I am

finding is a slight adjustment to the mantle can compensate for this effect,,, no one is

going to do this though as they big companies don't listen to players.

The USGA and R&A asked us to start supplying all colours separately due to this issue

except in reality all colours are pretty much the same except the full white version.

No coloured ball has ever been non conforming just slightly longer and with slightly less spin.

So its just a USGA money maker,,,,,

Edited by The_Boz, 27 February 2016 - 08:19 PM.

The Vision Project | UVee Staybright Ball Tec | @visiongolfball by WJB | #byWJB

#228 ellimb

ellimb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1622 posts

Posted 29 February 2016 - 06:48 PM

So I could be right ! That's unusual :D 

• The_Boz likes this

#229 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3112 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:59 AM

already on sale for less than $50

#230 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:02 PM

already on sale for less than $50

Noticed that Boz, I daresay that would have sold sweet f.a at the $65 price point.

<p>Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs, 27/12/12
Hole In One Peninsula Kingswood South 3rd 165 mtrs 19/08/19

#231 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3112 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:06 PM

Hi TB, The 4 piece isn't as sweet a feel as the 3 piece was,,,,and yes it is a really hard sell over $50 when

Srixon and Bridgestone are clearing their Tour balls so cheap all the time,,,,  :o

#232 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 10 March 2016 - 03:16 PM

Hi TB, The 4 piece isn't as sweet a feel as the 3 piece was,,,,and yes it is a really hard sell over $50 when

Srixon and Bridgestone are clearing their Tour balls so cheap all the time,,,,  :o

Are Callaway introducing a new 3 piece at the $35 mark to replace what was the Chrome Soft?

<p>Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs, 27/12/12
Hole In One Peninsula Kingswood South 3rd 165 mtrs 19/08/19

#233 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3112 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 08:48 PM

No they have a 3 piece soft surlyn/ionomer 55 compression ball that sells in that spot.

The deal is making premium urethane balls for our market to sell at under $40 is not

really worth the effort.

I can only get say $35 / $40 retail for my regular balls which is seen to be fair , proshops 3/$10

for the past 11 years,,,, and Srixon can only get $47.50 tops for Zstar down to $27.50 on special.

Why go to all the trouble to make a premium ball for our market, no real extra dollars.

Titleist are being squeezed down but that is in retail terms, the shops are having their margins

smashed on ProV1 / NXT Tour / Velocity / DT but the wholesale prices have been increasing

with the dollar weakening,,,,    Tough market and no real volumes,,,,,, 

Edited by The_Boz, 10 March 2016 - 08:55 PM.

#234 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3050 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 11 March 2016 - 07:13 AM

Boz,

Not aimed at you but at the big manufacturers.

Did they go too hard too soon on the prices during the highs not allowing for the downturn and the impact it would have on the prices?

To me it seems like the ball market in the big companies is way over priced for a commodity that is, essentially, a consumable (in that they are lost and cut so easily they need to be replaced on a regular basis). I get the $ exchange impacts the price and I get that R&D leads to these high costs as well but to have a ball that is essentially ~$70/doz is just ridiculous and to me screams over priced because of name and not quality.

Happy to be told I am talking out my a$$ but I just don't get the highest of high prices these companies charge. My thought are with you that most balls should be in the $35 - $50 range and I guess most would happily pay that as a consumer.

OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts
OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.4 Gamegolf

WITB:
Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#235 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3112 posts

Posted 11 March 2016 - 10:10 AM

Good question,,,,, for a number of years the best balls were all expensive because players will pay

more for the best. Taylor Made 5 piece Penta was up to 20 more than the ProV1's / Callaway were

also more expensive ,,,, but they couldn't quite crack the Prov1 ,,,, mainly because their balls did

not address the feel and sound of the Titleist ,, at all. 

So when you get desperate you go to your last port of call ,,, discount ,,,, firstly cheaper then to

really train players into believing premium urethane is a commodity they both brought out 2nd tier

premium 3 piece Tour balls Chrome / TP3 list price in the mid $30's ,,,,dumb / very dumb.

Your question has to be thought of differently though ,,, do you pay $2 + for a can of coke in a retail

shop,,, many people do ,,, it is a commodity that you can also buy for $0.65?? in bulk and there are

plenty of nice alternative drinks that are cheaper in any case.

The brand / celebrity / advertising / being seen with a brand ,,,, is all why people will pay a premium

over an above what a product is really worth ,,,, why because its a feeling / not a smart reason at

all but its in the mind and heart stuff ,,,, Apple phones and computers are all about this concept and

their products are good / look good / the ads are good look good ,,,,, do we pay a lot extra for this, yes!

Why has Holden and Ford failed in Australia with local products over the past 20 years,, they failed

to get people to love the brands the way they did ,,, Mercedes are selling as many cars as Holden

sell Commodoes ,,, I think that was the story,,,, we are paying a premium price to basically show off.

Just a thought but isn't that what the facebook generation is about ,,,, look at me and what I wear / buy

/ eat / drive / live / went to school / good looking I am  ...

Please look at me ,,, I'm special, I know I am,, aren't I?  :(    Sad to say its true.     Boz  ( my opinion only)

Edited by The_Boz, 11 March 2016 - 10:11 AM.

• RobNewy and Joe79 like this

#236 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3050 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 11 March 2016 - 11:20 AM

Yes you are special Boz, especially for the time and effort you put into your balls and with all the gifts etc you give to those here. Also extremely special to take the time to answer my question!!!

• The_Boz and RobNewy like this
OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts
OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.4 Gamegolf

WITB:
Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#237 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationAs Above

Posted 11 March 2016 - 01:57 PM

Good to see the whinge never varies ..... Callaway are awesome ;)

If your dad doesn't have a beard then you've got two mums ....

https://www.golf.org...icap/2121701916

#238 HitNhope

HitNhope

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14812 posts
  • LocationHere but not There

Posted 11 March 2016 - 03:01 PM

Good to see the whinge never varies ..... Callaway are awesome ;)

So why do you use Srixon??  Oh, I get it... sarcasm :P  :)

#239 2Putts

2Putts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9874 posts
  • LocationAs Above

Posted 13 March 2016 - 11:51 AM

So why do you use Srixon??  Oh, I get it... sarcasm :P  :)

You know I use whatever ..... I was just being courteous and sticking to the thread topic ;)

Oops ..... Callaway Chrome Soft are particularly awesome .....

Edited by 2Putts, 13 March 2016 - 11:55 AM.

• HitNhope likes this

If your dad doesn't have a beard then you've got two mums ....

https://www.golf.org...icap/2121701916

#240 blindman

blindman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2954 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:54 PM

I have been playing Srixon soft feel along with chrome soft and ad333.

Quite like all of these.

Played my mates TM preferred X today, just seemed to be brilliant off the driver and the wedge.

Just too expensive for me :(
£1000 on Spieth to win all 4 majors this year.
Had to get it in UK, none in Oz.

Millionaire or a grand down ?

Place your bets !

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: golf ball, chrome, callaway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users