#211 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3130 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:26 PM

The ChromeSoft 2016 is 4 instead 3 piece why I don't know other than the fact they are looking to replace the SRI balls

which didn't sell that well with the CS ball,,, so the price change makes sense as it is no longer trying to be a second tier

ball and they have to pay the Pro's contracts within its costs plus its one ball instead of 3 which can affect how much stock

they can push into outlets to sit in stock.

The Vision Project | UVee Staybright Ball Tec | @visiongolfball by WJB | #byWJB

#212 marcush39

marcush39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:39 PM

New chrome soft is retailing around the $60 a dozen mark which is a considerable rise from the $40 mark the previous model sold at. It is a nice ball, I used one on the weekend, but I wouldn't pay $5 a ball for one, not by any stretch. IMO, Bridgestone B330 range is a better ball at approx $40 a dozen.

I'd been given the Wilson Duo Urethane ball (released in November) to trial which I did at a corporate day yesterday & its an impressive ball. It has a 55 compression & feels really soft off the club face. It flies with a penetrating trajectory & stops well on mid iron approaches plus it backs up off wedge shots from 100m or closer. It checked up nicely on chip & bunker shots too but my only criticism was it felt a little too soft off the putter but all the same it's a damn good ball for the $40 price point.

#213 blindman

blindman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2954 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:53 PM

My fav ball, I'll just buy from the local bush walking ball finder for 40c a ball.
Not losing too many these days but still buy what ever he has(usually 100-200)
£1000 on Spieth to win all 4 majors this year.
Had to get it in UK, none in Oz.

Millionaire or a grand down ?

Place your bets !

#214 Tigerblood

Tigerblood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3116 posts
  • LocationRingwood East

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:51 AM

I'm stocking up on the 2015 model.

GCO have some stupid rule that only let you buy one box at a time, so I'v had a box sent to about 5 different addresses!

Edited by Tigerblood, 25 February 2016 - 04:51 AM.

• KEG likes this
<p>Hole In One Eastwood 17th 153 mtrs, 27/12/12
Hole In One Peninsula Kingswood South 3rd 165 mtrs 19/08/19

#215 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:23 AM

You talking about the 2016 version being made redundant or the 2016 version replacing the 2015 version?

The 2016 is supposed to be better than last year and more in line with a tour ball.

isnt that every ball makers goal. To make next years ball go further and spin more than previous model.

and why do they have to launch a new ball every year.?

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#216 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6642 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:15 AM

Never really liked the old chrome soft and for an extra $20 a box will definitely steer clear of the new model. The Taylormade project a is a better ball imo
http://www.golf.org....icap/4071372364

Game golf username : MattFC

#217 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3052 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:40 AM

isnt that every ball makers goal. To make next years ball go further and spin more than previous model.
and why do they have to launch a new ball every year.?

A lot of people are finding it spin less being a 4 pce instead of 3 pce ball so those with the higher SS can actually keep this ball down. My 2 biggest gripes with the 2015 CS was that it ballooned off the tee for me and spun off greens for me (ask Benny after Curlewis. I think he said it spun back around 6-8 meters after taking 1 hop.)

If this is the case then I might move on from the SR3 otherwise I will be stockpiling. Once I went back to the SR3 it lowered off the tee considerably and also I can not get this ball to spin back at all. In fact I struggle for it to hop and stop at times.

Never really liked the old chrome soft and for an extra $20 a box will definitely steer clear of the new model. The Taylormade project a is a better ball imo

Agreed $60 is too high a price point (I said $40 was for the original CS) but if it is as above with being a 4 pce I might be able to part with the $60 for it or wait for GCO to get them in and hope they price it in at around or under $50.

Edited by Joe79, 25 February 2016 - 08:42 AM.

OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts
OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.4 Gamegolf

WITB:
Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#218 blindman

blindman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2954 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:17 PM

Didn't like those Project A balls, felt like a rock to me.

Can't believe anyone pays 60 a dozen, wow !
£1000 on Spieth to win all 4 majors this year.
Had to get it in UK, none in Oz.

Millionaire or a grand down ?

Place your bets !

#219 Mr_C

Mr_C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6642 posts
  • LocationGold Coast

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:59 PM

They're $60 a dozen now? When I was playing them, they were $30
http://www.golf.org....icap/4071372364

Game golf username : MattFC

#220 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3130 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:20 PM

Has anyone taken notice of the fact so many Callaway Tour Pro's are not playing Callaway balls?

This has been the case since the SRI balls came out,,,,and to be honest Phil gets what ever ball

he wants and then its printed.

#221 adam76

adam76

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:38 PM

I can't can't seem to like callaway balls. I bought a box of chrome soft when they first come out and ended up giving 10 of them to a friend. Can't explain why I didn't like them either.
The new project A is not a bad ball they lowered the compression and has urethane cover so it feels a lot softer then the previous ball. Like the chrome soft the new project A feels s little too soft for me.

#222 Fill the Dill

Fill the Dill

Mong

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20821 posts
  • Location#teamgrank

Posted 26 February 2016 - 04:43 PM

Has anyone taken notice of the fact so many Callaway Tour Pro's are not playing Callaway balls?
This has been the case since the SRI balls came out,,,,and to be honest Phil gets what ever ball
he wants and then its printed.

Hey Boz,

Hope u and the family are well.

No surprise here that some Callaway Tour Pro's are not playing the newer balls.

When I worked there we had the HX Tour ball which was good. In 2008 (from memory) we released the Tour i Series.
The Tour i Series is one of the best balls I have ever used. We had many Non-Callaway pros playing the ball.

Since they stopped making the Tour i Series the tour use has dropped significantly.
To the point where some pros left as some of the new contracts stated which ball they had to use.

The Speed Regime balls are a shocker.
  • The_Boz likes this

#223 The_Boz

The_Boz

#iplayvision

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3130 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:18 PM

Hi Max, sorry to have been off the radar as I meant to make contact last year to see how you were going.
Please say hi to Mum and Dad,,,

Yes I agree ,, they didn't know what they had until they changed it, ChromeSoft is such a current

fad approach and the SRI black packs were nothing like the old Callaway packs that also looked great.

I have been looking at the Rule 35 Red and Blue for my new Pro balls,,,,, they were also very nice.

Take care,

Boz

• Fill the Dill likes this

#224 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I'm optimal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18409 posts
  • LocationHotel Shanker Lazimpat, Kathmandu 44600 Nepal

Posted 26 February 2016 - 06:34 PM

I liked the SR1 as the compression suits my swing.  The Wilson FG tour is the only other Urethane ball in this sweet spot.

Shanklink

OOM Tour
I am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide Tour
Winner 2017 Keysborough Invitational

Choppers Tour
Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine
Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#225 Fill the Dill

Fill the Dill

Mong

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20821 posts
  • Location#teamgrank

Posted 27 February 2016 - 04:45 PM

Hi Max, sorry to have been off the radar as I meant to make contact last year to see how you were going.
Please say hi to Mum and Dad,,,

Yes I agree ,, they didn't know what they had until they changed it, ChromeSoft is such a current

fad approach and the SRI black packs were nothing like the old Callaway packs that also looked great.

I have been looking at the Rule 35 Red and Blue for my new Pro balls,,,,, they were also very nice.

Take care,

Boz

No worries Boz.

I meant to touch base but I was also off the radar for a while.

Great to see Vision going well.

Hopefully catch up this year sometime.

:)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: golf ball, chrome, callaway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users