Photo

How Long Till Tiger Is Back, Or Will His Back Get The Best Of Tiger?

tiger woods

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#31 The-new-dave

The-new-dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2451 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:55 PM

Probably not wise to compare guys that played the game eons ago to the modern player.

Did AFL players spend much time in the gym in the 50's Dave?
Did cricketers spend much time in the gym even 15 years ago?

Sports evolve 

I imagine that many of the top 100 Tour players have a gym regime these days.
They may not all be looking to stack on pounds, but they'd certainly be looking to increase their endurance, flexibility and strength.

I agree

In certain sports I reckon gym and physical training had improved sports

But equipment demands that also.

Yup I agree that golf has an athletic element to it

But the way tiger talks is like he's training for an Olympic event not golf ...?He uses terms like a track athlete would ...he refers to Jordan's fadeaway jumper as change and evolvement ...sure I get that.

But agree his swing looks better this time and I hope he wins

Don bradman average 99.94 with bat weighing in just around 2lbs on uncovered pitches ....with no gym work

Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson bowled at hurtling pace before gym work really came in

Babe Ruth

In pure athlete if events like swimming and running and kayaking sure they are pure athletic events with some skill....

GOLF IS mostly skill in my view

It's interesting isn't with all the gym work, sports science in cricket .....batsmen and bowlers are now injured more than ever ...James pattinson and Patrick cummins case in point ....lots of injuries

#32 The-new-dave

The-new-dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2451 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:57 PM

clueless.jpg

Ok you really think golf is more athletic prowess than skill

That's Flamin clueless

It's a game of skill with maybe 10% athletic prowess to play the game

Like I said how did jack Nicklaus win 18 majors ....skill that's how

#33 The-new-dave

The-new-dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2451 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:01 PM

Your definition of athletic is waaaaaaaay too narrow Dave. Hitting hundreds of balls and walking miles day after day is a serious physical challenge.
The gym is not the definition of an athletic activity.
To equate a visit to the loo to hours of physical practice and walking for 5 hours day after day is silly.

See your point

I never gained any physical effect from golf .....walk stop...walk doesn't get your heart rate high enough to burn that many calories

Range session....yea it's a mini workout

But if you've hit lots of balls then your not extending yourself by repeating that are you

I have seen plenty of big flat blokes play off scratch and play good golf

Just like I have seen five foot five skinny blokes play darn good golf and hit it a mile also.

#34 Codboy

Codboy

Goat coniseu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7287 posts
  • Locationoutta here

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:35 PM

See your point

I never gained any physical effect from golf .....walk stop...walk doesn't get your heart rate high enough to burn that many calories

Range session....yea it's a mini workout

But if you've hit lots of balls then your not extending yourself by repeating that are you

Just like I have seen five foot five skinny blokes play darn good golf and hit it a mile also.

So what's your point my Tiger obsessed friend ?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be

#35 GhettoGolfer

GhettoGolfer

Duke Ghetto Moose

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10397 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 December 2014 - 08:22 PM

Not touching the fat bloke one.

Flusher fits the bill for the second example
  • INKY likes this
Because some idiots complain that my sig is too large:
th_Ghettobanner_zpsik8air89.jpg

Golflink: http://www.golf.org....icap/3013502329

#36 The-new-dave

The-new-dave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2451 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:21 AM

So what's your point my Tiger obsessed friend ?

I think he over worked his body and he lost some flexibility

But that's just an opinion and I'm happy to be wrong

He hasn't won a major for along time so clearly it ain't working whatever he's doing

#37 scousegolfer

scousegolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 07:46 AM

If Tiger stops hating the game that has given him so much then maybe it could be a new start for him but I have never seen anyone angrier on the golf course except for a few low markers i have had the misfortune to play with. Even one of the greats of the game must accept that golf is not a fair game & once you accept that no matter how good you are you will enjoy it more. Golf is ultimate metaphor for life & life is definitely not fair!
  • CaNadiAn MiCk and Jiminy like this

#38 wisp

wisp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 08:17 AM

I think he over worked his body and he lost some flexibility
But that's just an opinion and I'm happy to be wrong
He hasn't won a major for along time so clearly it ain't working whatever he's doing

His left leg action of trusting back violently into the left heel at impact was the cause of his knee issues. The knee impacts on the hip and the hip impacts on the back.
If anything his ball striking has improved, where his putting dropped off. If he ever gets his putting back to where it was then he will win majors again.
All the changes he has been making to his long game has been focused to have one miss on bad swings.
Similar to Hogan, Nicklaus, Trevino and the other Champions. It has been this, that has impacted on his putting which we all know is founded on confidence. He has lost confidence and why wouldn't he after realizing that the person he thought he was turned out to be the person he kept hidden. We are all a bit this way, only we get to deal with it in private. Tiger had to struggle with his inner demons with everybody in the world watching and criticizing and condemning.
  • CaNadiAn MiCk, Weetbix, 2Putts and 1 other like this

#39 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43454 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:10 AM

Wisdom from the wisp! Nice ;)

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#40 bazinoz

bazinoz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3154 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 09:25 AM

Athletic prowess, fitness regime, clean living lifestyle.

I give you -

Miguel-Angel-Jimenez-with-beer-and-cigar

My favorite current player I reckon :)

I wonder if he'd be any good if he gave up the booze & fags and went to the gym... :D

Edited by bazinoz, 05 December 2014 - 09:26 AM.

• scousegolfer, CaNadiAn MiCk, Goldy and 1 other like this

#41 Derpom

Derpom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:04 AM

Jimenez does go to the gym, he goes almost everday.

Tigers swing has been far too hard on his body, just look at his swing when he was winning, people were saying then, he is going to injure himself.

I think it was an American CBS commentator who started the Athelete thing when he said Arnold Palmer was the Athelet of the century some years back.

I cannot coment if it is an atheletic sport or not, i play because i enjoy playing, win or loose. Some of you guys are going burst a blood vessel if you dont calm down. Who cares what its called, just go out and play.

#42 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:02 AM

Golf isn't an athletic event ....the swing last a few seconds ...and you do that 35-40 times a round

.it's not an athletic event and it's why I was against it being in the Olympics

This logic is beyond ridiculous.

So what about all the "athletic" olymipc events? High jump? Shot Put? Discus? Javellin? Hammer Throw?

All these are periods of doing nothing, and one quick movement which lasts a second.Yet they are classed as athletic events by definition.

Edited by Monty85, 05 December 2014 - 11:10 AM.

| GolfLink 

#43 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16531 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:11 AM

Jimenez does go to the gym, he goes almost everday.

Tigers swing has been far too hard on his body, just look at his swing when he was winning, people were saying then, he is going to injure himself.

I think it was an American CBS commentator who started the Athelete thing when he said Arnold Palmer was the Athelet of the century some years back.

I cannot coment if it is an atheletic sport or not, i play because i enjoy playing, win or loose. Some of you guys are going burst a blood vessel if you dont calm down. Who cares what its called, just go out and play.

Wiki it

An athlete (American and British English) or sportspersonsportsman or sportswoman (British English) is a person who competes in one or more sports that involve physical strength, speed and/or endurance. Athletes may be professionals or amateurs.[1]

Most professional athletes have particularly well-developed physiques obtained by extensive physical training and strict exercise accompanied by a strict dietary regimen.

The word "athlete" is a romanization of the Greekάθλητὴςathlētēs, one who participates in a contest; from ἄθλος, áthlos, or ἄθλον, áthlon, a contest or feat.

It is the general term for all participants in any physical sport; its application to those who participate in other activities, such as horse riding or driving, is somewhat controversial.

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#44 INKY

INKY

Getting laughs somewhere else.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36089 posts
  • LocationOutta here!!!!

Posted 05 December 2014 - 11:20 AM

Not touching the fat bloke one.

Flusher fits the bill for the second example

I still have a few credits....

#45 wisp

wisp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 12:29 PM

This logic is beyond ridiculous.

So what about all the "athletic" olymipc events? High jump? Shot Put? Discus? Javellin? Hammer Throw?

All these are periods of doing nothing, and one quick movement which lasts a second.Yet they are classed as athletic events by definition.

I'm guessing he is confusing fitness with athletic.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tiger woods

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users