#1 Condor

Condor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:26 PM

Hi guys,

Wondered if anyone has some tips or ideas for me barring going to see a pro as i cannot get there until January.

My irons... straight to slight draw

3 wood ......straight to slight draw.

Driver ...... slice, slice, slice, slice!

My driver is a Ping G30 which has a 45.75" long shaft (which may be the problem).

I can get around the slice by closing the face at address but I hit an ugly low flighted shot that feels bad. I try to have a flat swing, left forearm across chest and right elbow tucked into right hip, while turning completley from hips but noooo joy. My get out at the moment is 3 wood off the tee.Maye i need to lop 2'' off the shaft length.

#2 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I'm optimal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18409 posts
  • LocationHotel Shanker Lazimpat, Kathmandu 44600 Nepal

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:57 PM

Similar issue and my problem was ball too far forward and a closed stance.  Couple of things to eliminate.

Disclaimer : I am a chopper

Edited by mouldy, 30 November 2014 - 09:58 PM.

• KEG, Rusty_Chopper_1984 and Condor like this
Shanklink

OOM Tour
I am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide Tour
Winner 2017 Keysborough Invitational

Choppers Tour
Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine
Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#3 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25761 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:57 PM

Maybe you do need to lop off 2", but that's a bit drastic when you have no evidence that it will help. You could try gripping down to simulate a shorter shaft.

I'd be more concerned about "turning completely from the hips". I have seen some players turning their hips a lot in the backswing, pretty much carrying their whole upper body, then their legs do lots of funny stuff, too. Your shoulders turn 90°, but the hips only turn as the shoulders drag them around. In the downswing, the hips return first then the shoulders follow.

If the whole torso is turned (too much hip), you can't swing from there so you turn it all back before the downswing, with the consequence that you swing from out to in.

There's also the possibility that your shaft is not suited.

Next time you take your driver, try to convince yourself that it's your 3 wood and swing it accordingly. See what happens.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#4 Condor

Condor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:18 PM

Thanks i will mess around on the practice field some more.

When I got the club, my swing speed suggested a stiff shaft, but I hit the regular shaft better and the same went for the 3 wood (shop staff agreed).

My irons are a stiff shaft soft stepped x 1 so I'm an inbetweener (or just plain hard to please!)

#5 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10214 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:53 AM

Thanks i will mess around on the practice field some more.

When I got the club, my swing speed suggested a stiff shaft, but I hit the regular shaft better and the same went for the 3 wood (shop staff agreed).

My irons are a stiff shaft soft stepped x 1 so I'm an inbetweener (or just plain hard to please!)

Just because driver says S or R on shaft doesnt mean it will play that way.

your 3w and Driver have a different type of shaft, so thoise shafts will have a different characteristic.

at 45.75 inches yes you are right it is too long, however cutting 2inches of butt might not improve playing characteristic of shaft.

good advise: go to a good club fitter like TGP in Oakleigh or Custom Golf in Sydney.

have them check the driver flex, cpm, and swing weight.

The other cause is "I have a driver in my hand syndrome".

(this instinctively makes golfers swing harder thinking they will get more distance) (driver swing should be same as iron swing).

This is easily fixed however.

if you are wanting to score better leave driver in boot of car and use a 3w all the way round.

180m in middle of fwy with a 3 wood is better than 230m in deep rough with a driver.

Edited by CB80, 03 December 2014 - 05:55 AM.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#6 Smergen

Smergen

Green Egg Goat Smuggla

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12441 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:11 AM

My advice is simple... listen to this man...

This is easily fixed however.

if you are wanting to score better leave driver in boot of car and use a 3w all the way round.

180m in middle of fwy with a 3 wood is better than 230m in deep rough with a driver.

The one thing I'm grateful for is a semi-consistent shape to my shot. It might not be pretty and it might cheat me out of a few metres (being a fade rather than a draw) but I can at least plan my shots and round around it. So if one club throws all that out, i.e. driver right, everything else left, just ditch the driver.

Castlemaine Non-Handicap Winner - Net 73

2013 OOM4 A Grade Winner - Heritage St Johns - 33pts

2016 TSC Winner - Eynesbury - 34pts

Taking midtable mediocrity to the top of the podium...

Smoldy. - Baconwide Tour Creators and Ambassadors

VTTP #008

http://www.golflink....k_no=3040204213

#7 bill1978patt

bill1978patt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:31 AM

Is it a slice or a straight push? By this I mean does the ball start on target and spin right, or does it start right and go straight right?

With the other clubs to hit a draw you must have an in to out swing path and slightly closed club face normally. It's possible with the longer stick you just are not releasing the club in time.

However this is all here say, if you are serious get a lesson from a pro who uses trackman or similar, they will sort you out lickity split.

#8 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3025 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 06:46 AM

Hi guys,

Wondered if anyone has some tips or ideas for me barring going to see a pro as i cannot get there until January.

My irons... straight to slight draw

3 wood ......straight to slight draw.

Driver ...... slice, slice, slice, slice!

My driver is a Ping G30 which has a 45.75" long shaft (which may be the problem).

I can get around the slice by closing the face at address but I hit an ugly low flighted shot that feels bad. I try to have a flat swing, left forearm across chest and right elbow tucked into right hip, while turning completley from hips but noooo joy. My get out at the moment is 3 wood off the tee.Maye i need to lop 2'' off the shaft length.

Instead of reading about how not to slice, I read about how to hit a draw. To hit a draw you need to aim right (for RH), very hard to do when you are a slicer. Grip also plays a big part, have to see some knuckles on that left hand at address. I went with what I thought was a closed club face at address and got a mate to look from the side, he said it was square to slightly open, I thought it was closed.

• WasabiPea_Shooter likes this

#9 Toolish

Toolish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3771 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 07:32 AM

If it is only driver that is the issue check ball position.  It may need to go further forward in your stance.

#10 languid

languid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:45 PM

You are searching for your swing and like all of us get very involved in the mechanics on this route. 

Of course setup, posture is very important but  you  might get good results by relaxing your grip and shoulders at address. Try that and in the practice swing make a swing with a good stable follow-through.

You should be up on left side roughly facing the hit direction and able to hold the finish in a pose. 

Try to get mechanics out of your head.

Various methods are useful.

One that can work is make your thought limited to hit the ball in the dead center of the clubface. 

You are not CONTROLLING just allowing it to happen because you want that to happen.

#11 wisp

wisp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 01:52 PM

Condor,
What is your bad shot/ misses with the irons and fairway metals on the course?

#12 INKY

INKY

Getting laughs somewhere else.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36099 posts
  • LocationOutta here!!!!

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:23 PM

Ping G30..isn't that an adjustable driver...Why don't you set it to draw instead of adjusting it at address?

• Francie likes this

#13 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3025 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 05:53 PM

Put something you value like your mobile or something on a line outside the ball about 1 foot behind it. I bet you won't swing outside in.

• Mr_C likes this

#14 cerebr_al

cerebr_al

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:22 PM

Go to the range and experiment by gradually putting the ball further and further forward (by no more than 1/2 and inch at time), and then further and further away from you (or closer, if you like).  Watch what happens.  

NB: You're not going for distance during this exercise so remember to relax and not try to swing too fast or hard. 

Have fun and I hope this helps!

"Competitive golf is played mainly on a 5 1/2 inch course... the space between your ears."

Bobby Jones.

#15 Juggs Judy

Juggs Judy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

Buy a new driver.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: slicing, driver

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users