20 replies to this topic

#1 Jaster Mereel

Jaster Mereel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2610 posts

Posted 16 August 2002 - 07:29 AM

I was going through my yearly golf stats recently and realised that I need to improve my chipping and wedge play if I am to reach my goals in golf. My driving is not brilliant but I am sorta long (255ms average on fairways hit, 275m overall) and feel that my irons are quite good if not spectacular.

I feel though that if I could wedge, pitch and chip closer my putting would be easier and take the pressure off the rest of my game as I would have less 30fters and more 15fters for birdie and less 8-10fters and more 4-6fters for par...in fact I have had an average of 81.6 shots over my 14 rounds (best of 74 worst of 87) and if my putting had of been at my goal level of 28 I would have averaged 76.6!!! Which is about 3-4 marker range on the 2 courses I play usually here in Toowoomba which is my goal for next year.

This year in April after almost 6 years away from the game (I was playing off 3 when I stopped) I started back on 11.0 and I am now down to 7.7 with a season low of 7.6 with a goal to get to around 5.0 by the years end!! Now I practice at least 4 -5 days per week early in the mornings and play about 1-2 times a month in competitions. At this stage that is all I can manage as I have a young family (4 month old and a 2.8 year old) and a lovely wife who fight for my attention with golf :twisted:

I would love to know what you guys think?
Does this sound reasonable enough or am I missing something?

My total stats are below if you like to peruse...

Jaster

Rounds Played -14
Best Score -74
Average Score -81.6
Worst Score -87
Avg GIR -8.0 44%
Avg FWH -41.8%
Putts Game -33.1
Putts GIR -2.03
Avg Putts -1.84
Avg Par 3 -3.5
Avg Par 4 -4.6
Avg Par 5 -5.4

#2 Jaster Mereel

Jaster Mereel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2610 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 08:53 AM

What no comments? Laughs? Cries? Anything?

Come on people!!!

#3 miike

miike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 09:36 AM

Don't really know what I think...what was the question?

#4 hind0

hind0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 17 August 2002 - 11:40 PM

My first thought was that you had way too much information about your game. tongue.gif

I've got enough trouble remembering how bad I played last week, let alone earlier this year.

But I'll post some serious comments very soon.

#5 gooner10

gooner10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 01:17 AM

Forget about the stats!

Work on your 100 metres in game, around the greens and your putting!

Just take some weeks off and practice your ass off before hitting the course again!

#6 Matt

Matt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1115 posts

Posted 18 August 2002 - 05:15 AM

Are you trying to get on the tour or playing for the enjoyment? Relax with the stats and practice your putting.

#7 Jaster Mereel

Jaster Mereel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2610 posts

Posted 19 August 2002 - 08:29 AM

I use a stat program that takes around 5 -30 mins after a round for you to enter in your details called GStat Pro, Sorry if I confused or put off people with the post :?

You can view details of it here... http://www.gstatpro.com

I like stats as they show what weaknesses or strengths your game has very easily and gives solid evidence to back up performance (or lack off!)

I guess I did have dreams of gettting on tour once (even got offered an assistant job at Hope Island!!!) but reliase now that this was almost 10 years ago and I am older, rounder and have other priorites but at the same time I became inspired after reading a post that was put on the GEA forum (Golf Aficionados) about a guy who went and spoke with Dr Bob Rotella (http://www.bobcullen.com/rotellapage.htm)...I have posted this post if intersted in a new thread as it is quite long.

100 metres in is certainly where I am concentrating most of my practice time and also putting. Instead of just playing by feel as I had done previous I decided to buy a Gap wedge and get serious and I must say that knowing I do not have to hit softer or harder from around the 100m mark really does inspire confidence. And hopefully the Scotty cameron will help the putting average smile.gif

Anyways, I hope this explains a few things? Knowing that I am putting in the work to reap rewards is more enjoyable to me than playing underprepared as I had done previously.

Jaster

#8 sharkboy

sharkboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationNewcastle NSW

Posted 21 August 2002 - 12:44 PM

Tentatively i would suggest that getting down to an average of 28 putts per round is going to be tough. Those sort of putting averages are tour worthy. I suppose working on say 30 per round first is always a more achievable goal to set and then after that shoot for 28.
Maybe your fairways hit could be something to work on going by your averages.
Just my humble, unqualified opinion after only a cursory glance at your stats and not too much thought :wink:

#9 Jaster Mereel

Jaster Mereel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2610 posts

Posted 21 August 2002 - 04:06 PM

Thanks for the reply sharkboy...I realise 28 will be hard to acheive so have decided that 30 will be a good interim target but will still try to acheive as good as I can without pressuring myself.

Fairways hit are a big concern and I am glad you commented, I am getting my 975d reshafted with a DGx100 next week and having it trimmed to 44". Hopefully this may add a little control as I am aiming for about 9-10 fairways per round.

Thanks again and good golfing

Jaster

#10 sharkboy

sharkboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationNewcastle NSW

Posted 22 August 2002 - 02:19 AM

Sounds like a good plan JM.
The distances you mentioned earlier for your drives seemed pretty long so even with the shorter steel shaft distance shouldn't be a big issue, with the added advantage of greater control. I'd be interested to hear how much difference the steel shafted driver makes. Lots of of good trainee pro players were using steel in D's and J's at a local tournament and still getting good distances.

#11 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 03:58 AM

JM,

seems like you have a plan, and you obviously got game - DGX100 shafts??? (how fast is ur swing???) And know what u want out of ur game...am interested to know why u gave up when u were off 3...

anywayz...if you were playing low figures, it means that all round game is in great shape, so I am surprised to read that ur putts are averaging mid30s...

sure u'll lose touch here and there/ now and then, but...u must hit lots of greens...must be tuff when u only have short irons in, isn't it?!?! (compliments to the drives...)

well...as someone said b4...practice those 100m shots in, coz if'ur chipping and pitching close to the pin, you're bound to make more short putts...than miss them...if not...may i recommend u consider taking up the broomstick?!?!

maybe i should listen to my own advice...*hmmmm*
i only had 29 putts the other day when i shot 34-40, and missed two birdie putts from 5 ft in. but that was only becoz my irons were on fire that day...and that 40 was the result of my oh-so-stupid-useless-lobwedge...

anyway...good luck and don get too bogged down with the stats...if u think too much about it when u're playing, then ur not playing!!! Been there, done that!

Happy golfin'

#12 Jaster Mereel

Jaster Mereel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2610 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 07:46 AM

Thanks for the replies folks...a lot of good stuff coming out now which is what I was hoping for!! 8) The 100m in is a great area to practice and I have already started seeing an improvement in my scoring and general play in this area after 3 weeks of 2 days a week wedge practice. Also practicing bunkers for the first time ever and really confident I can get up and down if I go in. I played in the RAIN! this morning before work and only got 7 holes in before the heavy stuff came but played a lot of shots that really gave me hope and only had 9 putts for the 7 holes with one 18ft on the fringe for Bogey and an awesome drain of 40ft with about 1ft left to right break for Birdie on the last hole!! But I had 4+ as I could not hit a green or get up and down for my first 5 holes...I went 1 putt Bogey, 2 putt bogey, 2 putt Bogey, O putt Bogey, 2 putt Bogey, 1 putt par, 1 putt Birdie.

sharkboy - I will let you know how the new shaft goes...it should be done hopefully by Tuesday or Wednesday next week as this is when the shaft gets in. Apparently the Pro said not many people request x100s in their woods heheheheh...I have seen one of the local assistant Pros using a D with one and it is lonnggggg.

mau - my Driver Swing speed was measured at 115mph in the local Golf World but this was without warming up and in thongs!!! Last week I hit a drive on our uphill 10th hole which is 415ms and plays 430 at least and I was left with 112m to the middle!! I realise that the long ball is useless without control and currently my Driver length is 45” 65g graphite so I will be getting 44” Steel (or maybe 43.75 Tiger length :twisted: )

Without exaggerating my approx full swing carry for all clubs is –

8.5° Driver – 255m +
13.5° FW – 225m
2 iron – 209m
3 iron -200m
4 iron – 190m
5 iron – 179m
6 iron – 168m
7 iron – 155m
8 iron – 145m
9 iron – 134m
PW 49° – 124m
GW 53° -115m
SW 57° - under 100m

After much deliberation I decided to get x100s in the 990s as everyone kept saying only Pros can hit them etc etc but I have not looked back. I hit my irons now higher than I use to and can control the trajectory better than ever. Even True Tempers shaft chart recommended I get x100s!!!

To go into why I stopped playing after getting down to 3 is a long story but the short of it is I moved away to study and had no money or transport to join a club :cry: so I just played about 4 rounds a year socially until April this year when without playing for 8 months I shot 8 over with a few friends who gave me a talking to about what a waste it is that I don’t play. So here I am 4 months later playing off 8 and just wanting to improve...and share the joy of golf.

Jaster

#13 miike

miike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 09:44 AM

Hey Jaster all your previous posts have been deleted...can you tell me again how damn good you are. Jeez guys, stop feeding his ego !

#14 sharkboy

sharkboy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationNewcastle NSW

Posted 22 August 2002 - 10:03 AM

JM, with those distances you are one of those freaky guys that 98.5% of average golfers talk about. You know the " there was this one guy in my group that drove it to within 20 meters of the first " biggrin.gif
When i asked one of the trainee guys what he was using in his driver he mentioned Rifle Light (Lite?) saying that is was nearly as light as graphite, but still had the control and consistency of steel. I don't know that much about shafts though so i can only assume this makes some sense.
I have got what you might call a 'girly' swing speed, 71 mph (driver) but i want a recount biggrin.gif The club i used at the golf shop had a stiff flex shaft, so i want to take my own reg flex driver in and try again. Maybe i will crack 74mph :wink:
The guy running the True Temper shaft lab swing monitor thingy at the PGA show mentioned that Davis Love III when tested, came out as a reg flex, but uses X stiff iron shafts because of the control and consistency he gets. I thought my swing would result in an A flex recommendation sad.gif but i made it to reg flex! I currently use S300 shafts...

#15 Jaster Mereel

Jaster Mereel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2610 posts

Posted 22 August 2002 - 05:02 PM

sharkboy - I would be interested in the Shaftlab but alas the backwoods here in Toowoomba have nothing like it. X100s just feel very solid...especially when taking a rip at the ball. I was speaking with one of the +2 markers in town and he told me he has been tested and S300s and X100s are similar in stiffness but it is the weight that makes the difference.

miike - Have I offended you or said something that was a lie?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users