1436 replies to this topic

#31 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:24 PM

Colts are a joke tho when half the team have 10+ markers playing!!

This will help address that.

#32 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25276 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 21 November 2014 - 12:30 PM

Pros are club members too.

Yes, sometimes, but it's their place of work.  As distinct from amateurs who are there for fun.

• LongyBoy likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#33 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9735 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:51 PM

Guys

just because someone is a professional golfer doesnt make them any better than a low handicapper.

They are pro's because they derive an income from game due to skill of playing and or teaching ability and we as amateurs do not,  that's difference.

The best golf teachers arenot necessarily the best players, and best players dont always make best teachers.

Yes a number of pro's have club handicaps because they join club to have good access to practice facilities. and get a Golf link handicap.

So I have to ask, has his initiative come from PGA to VGA because suddenly Pros really want to play for their old clubs and play pennant against old buddies ???

or from VGA trying to accommodate the requests of larger clubs which have a number of VIS players as members.

if say 5 of these gun players from a Div 1 team all  become a trainee at same time and get lost to pennant team. then heaven forbid the once strong Div 1 team might drop to Div 2 or 3, oh no what a disaster.

(this rule just allows a young former player who is now a trainee to continue playing with his club for a few more years,)

but dont get fooled its unlikely you will see Adam scott playing number 1 for Royal Melbourne against Geoff Ogilvy at 1 for Victoria 

(although that clearly is what the VGA are hoping will happen)

Edited by CB80, 21 November 2014 - 07:58 PM.

• LongyBoy likes this

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#34 Harambe

Harambe

I said "cream" not "green"!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts
  • LocationBoooooooo

Posted 22 November 2014 - 12:09 PM

this will make pennant less relevent for blokes on the cusp on making a pennant squad playing off 2-4 it could also stop clubs from blooding youth in the senior side as potentially 2 spots will be taken by pros

So?

Pennant is about elite members of the club representing at a high level. Pennant is not about participation.

And then there is the bottom of them all - handicap pennant.

#35 Golfpunk64

Golfpunk64

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 09:04 AM

On this forum we no doubt have Professional golfers who partake in our topics. It would be great to get there point of views on this matter.

Except for the budding young Pro I really cannot see a lot of them taking the step to participate in weekly Pennant.

I have read the previous comments and I conclude in saying that the non benefits far outway the benefits and I find it hard to believe that this decision has been 'voted' in by Golf Victoria.

I am a Trainee pro who formally played Division 1 in Sydney. My years of playing pennants were the most fun I had playing golf, I've still got all my shirts and am proud to have played for some strong teams.

Having spent a few years playing top level amateur events around Australia, it is clear that with the exception of the top 20% or so that trainee golf is not nearly as strong as top level amateur golf. The best amateurs generally go to tour school and the rest either do a traineeship or move on to something else. So I can't see teams getting a huge advantage over others by likely including a few trainee's. I remember playing no.7 in Eric Apperly shield off a plus 1 handicap, and lots of pro's are playing of 1-2 handicaps.

From a personal point of view I would love to play pennants again. However, I can't really see what the competition gains from it. I think it would be a better idea in regional areas where lots of teams struggle to field a team and have guys playing of 8-10 handicaps down the bottom.

• voss likes this

#36 CaNadiAn MiCk

CaNadiAn MiCk

Head of the asylum

• Administrators
  • 16461 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:33 PM

Here is official word from Golf Vic. http://www.iseekgolf...for-gv-pennants

Join iseekgolf.com on Facebook

Follow iseekgolf.com on Twitter

For golf industry news.

Handicap

#37 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:13 PM

To be honest it's a non issue for me , am not likely to be a member of a top teir club and definitely won't be playing pennant for them , I will bet that a club will skirt around the edges and blur the lines at some stage , it could however, be good for some up n coming young golfer to get his arse kicked by some pro

#38 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:21 PM

To be honest it's a non issue for me , am not likely to be a member of a top teir club and definitely won't be playing pennant for them , I will bet that a club will skirt around the edges and blur the lines at some stage , it could however, be good for some up n coming young golfer to get his arse kicked by some pro

And vice versa...

#39 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:26 PM

And vice versa...

Agree could be a good way for someone to work out if they are good enough if they kick a few pros arse
  • BumpunGrind and Liberton like this

#40 chokea

chokea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 09:00 PM

Does this decision mean that amateur's will be able to win money in pro ams and still remain an am?

If you want to play pennant probably shouldn't have turned pro then   

• Flusher69, 3wood and beaurun like this

#41 Liberton

Liberton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 12:03 PM

Does this decision mean that amateur's will be able to win money in pro ams and still remain an am?

If you want to play pennant probably shouldn't have turned pro then   

The rules regarding what you can win as an amateur have changed recently, I know if you get a hole in one and win a car you can take it, cash at a pro-am may be a different story though.

#42 aidanjm1372662214

aidanjm1372662214

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 05:40 PM

I like the idea of pro's playing for regional teams and bolstering their squad a bit. But here's a tickly one... can a pro be paid by a club to play pennants?

Billy Dunk is my hero

#43 LongyBoy

LongyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:46 PM

This is a terrible move by the VGA
Pros have the opportunity to play for $$ week in week out, amateurs cannot claim prize money, it takes spots off guys who live to represent their club!!
Remember it is an amateur competition and has been for 100 years
  • beaurun likes this

#44 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:52 PM

This is a terrible move by the VGA
Pros have the opportunity to play for $$ week in week out, amateurs cannot claim prize money, it takes spots off guys who live to represent their club!!
Remember it is an amateur competition and has been for 100 years

In reality most of the pros that will actually end up playing pennant will be pros with limited or no status on the Australian or Asian tours.

#45 LongyBoy

LongyBoy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:35 PM

Totally agree
The unfortunate thing from my end is, these guys have had playing opportunities for years and still do via pro ams etc
Taking amateur spots from amateur players is not on
  • beaurun likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users