61 replies to this topic

#31 Ekiebraes

Ekiebraes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 05:35 AM

Not fish oil capsules unless you are willing to swallow 12 a day. You MUST get the liquid fish oil because the dose is 12ml a day. A couple of capsules a day is sub therapeutic and will do nothing.
By the way I am not only a fellow sufferer but also a heath professional who got advice from a top rheumatologist, so this is legit advice.

What is your opinion on Krill oil,i take twox500. Mg a day for arthritis in knees .

#32 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27257 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:04 AM

What is your opinion on Krill oil,i take twox500. Mg a day for arthritis in knees .

Talked to a doctor last year who concentrates on arthritis management, he said krill oil is the biggest health industry con ever, just very expensive fish oil with minimal extra benefits.
Intended to break 90 this year, not going well.

Concentrating just getting round the course

#33 INKY

INKY

Getting laughs somewhere else.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35940 posts
  • LocationOutta here!!!!

Posted 14 October 2014 - 09:39 AM

Haven't had the opp to play with anyone named Arthritis.

• Turfers Paradise likes this

#34 Ekiebraes

Ekiebraes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:41 AM

Talked to a doctor last year who concentrates on arthritis management, he said krill oil is the biggest health industry con ever, just very expensive fish oil with minimal extra benefits.

Yes I had heard that,however i worked. with a construction worker doing fairly heavy work in his early 60s recently and he absolutly swore by red krill oil for his knees.
I have been on fish oil previously and krill last 6 months,probably fell for the hype surrounding it.
Researching the net has the head spinning with all the fors and against.
Daughter just chipped in ,a medical student she worked with was involved in some research project as part of their studies and came up with krill MAY benefit rheumatoid arthritis but not osteoarthritis.

#35 lucidair

lucidair

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2023 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 10:45 AM

my rheumatologist told me to take fish oil, not krill oil

#36 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27257 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

Yes I had heard that,however i worked. with a construction worker doing fairly heavy work in his early 60s recently and he absolutly swore by red krill oil for his knees.
I have been on fish oil previously and krill last 6 months,probably fell for the hype surrounding it.
Researching the net has the head spinning with all the fors and against.
Daughter just chipped in ,a medical student she worked with was involved in some research project as part of their studies and came up with krill MAY benefit rheumatoid arthritis but not osteoarthritis.

There are lots of may help comments on the bottles these things are in, no one will give a definite answer on the effectiveness on them because they have never been proven to be effective.

#37 Node

Node

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2379 posts
  • LocationMaryborough Queensland

Posted 14 October 2014 - 12:09 PM

I worked with a guy who swore Emu oil worked fantastic for him, I tried it and it did nothing so I gave the left overs to him.     Each to their own I think.

#38 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5699 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:26 PM

The research was done on fish oil not krill oil so not sure if it would work the same. Also 1gm is less than a tenth of the recommended dose
Will look up the research paper and post a link
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#39 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5699 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:31 PM

Ok this is the info sheet on fish oil from arthritis Australia on this topic. Note the recommended dose of 15ml a day.
This is actually proven by research and not just something written on a bottle.
http://www.arthritis...es/FishOils.pdf
  • Gilbert Grape likes this

#40 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5699 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 01:46 PM

There are lots of may help comments on the bottles these things are in, no one will give a definite answer on the effectiveness on them because they have never been proven to be effective.

Not true. Proven to work but at the correct dose, which is never given on the bottles. As I said before this is good research from New Zealand Rheumatologists.
  • Turfers Paradise and Node like this

#41 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27257 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 03:54 PM

Not true. Proven to work but at the correct dose, which is never given on the bottles. As I said before this is good research from New Zealand Rheumatologists.

Toph, I think your comment was about fish oil, mine was about the more very expensive krill oil, have been told it does not live up to the hype and is not better than fish oil which being an old bugger I take every day as it is also a recomended blood thinner. That helps stop my regular brain clog.

#42 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5699 posts

Posted 14 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

Toph, I think your comment was about fish oil, mine was about the more very expensive krill oil, have been told it does not live up to the hype and is not better than fish oil which being an old bugger I take every day as it is also a recomended blood thinner. That helps stop my regular brain clog.

Sorry. Yep misheard you.
Fish oil does help prevent stroke and heart attack too.
Krill oil I know nothing about.

#43 Node

Node

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2379 posts
  • LocationMaryborough Queensland

Posted 16 October 2014 - 06:28 PM

Played Wednesday morning the Pro gave me a Cobra Bio Cell 7i with a Reg Graphite shaft to test out.

I was also playing for the first time using the interlocking grip as the overlapping grip was causing me some pain.

On the day I noticed that I didn't really have any power in my shots due to the change of grip of course I expect that to change over time and I was about a club shorter than usual.

The Cobra Bio Cell 7i with Reg Graphite shaft went a mile phew and felt very soft on the hands...

The Driving range has a Mizuno Demo Day next Wednesday afternoon and as I normally play MP53s I be checking out the GI Clubs with Graphite shafts to see what suits me....

#44 sudsoz

sudsoz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:11 AM

Someone mentioned gloves - there are leather gloves by bionic that have ribs on the fingers that help arthritis sufferers keep the club their and not their palms.  Also soft oversize grips such as the treated leather from Gripmaster. 

#45 Robroy22

Robroy22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationSurf Coast

Posted 17 October 2014 - 08:11 PM

I use oversized grips on all my clubs but the best thing I've found (besides playing in the tropics all the time) is regular immersion in salt water (surfing) and my arthrexin tablets!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: arthritis, golf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users