#1276 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:37 PM

Okay, so we had the next round of our 4BBB matchplay today and it was windy but dry out at Rosebud.  Dwayne was ready for me to pick up (and pay for) before the round so the first round with actual-Dwayne in the bag, but the only difference from the version I have been hitting the last couple of weeks is 0.75 inches off the shaft.  Can't say that I noticed the difference on the course of the shorter shaft, but was certainly more convenient to get him in the boot of the car after the round.

Both teams were playing a low-marker/mid-marker combo - with the two low markers within a shot of each other.  The higher marker on the other team was taking 6 shots from me, so it basically broke out to a third of the holes where she had a shot only, a third of the holes where both of us had shots and a third where nobody did.  It really highlighted the matchplay index as those thirds were spread out evenly across the round.

It was close and never got out by more than 2, but it generally seemed to be us catching up.  We were down by 2 with three holes to go and really looking at pulling out some good shots to keep in the match.  On the 16th which is a longish dogleg left, it is not a guarantee to be in range for GIR for any of us, but with a lovely drive from Dwayne I was in position 1.  Followed it up with a great approach to leave me 10 feet below the hole.  That was enough pressure to make the other team fall apart, both hitting through the green for three.  With a shot in my pocket, they conceded the hole when their respective chips were poor, which had us one down.

The 17th hates me for no particular reason - it is a not terribly long not terribly difficult par 5 with some trouble around the green but it kicks my butt week after week.  Another good drive from Dwayne had me playing last.  My second was struck well but wandered left into the rough at the end, so my approach was going to depend on what shot I had under the overhanging trees.  Not an easy shot but nobody else was on the green in reg though one of my opponents with a good short game was 20m short.  Needed to punch a low shot and try and draw it a little and managed to pull it off almost perfectly, leaving me barely in the fringe at the front of the green.   Good short game opponent didn't leave herself a gimme for par, so I just needed to get down in two to win the hole.  Decent approach putt left me 4.5 feet for par with my opponents in for 6.  Managed to pop it straight in the hole and we were all square heading up the last.

Both my partner and I put good drives in the fairway while both our opponents leaked theirs into the rough right.  The high marker had a shot on the hole, but the green is only barely in range even with a good drive for us.  The best the opponents could do was leave a full shot on for their third, which left the door open.  Both my partner and I hit good shots, but neither on the short grass - her about 50m short and me about 10m off the green with a chip running down the hill.  One of us needed to put it close to try and close out the match.  I hit an okay shot, but my partner put it within 3 feet.  That proved too much for our opponents to match and the conceded the hole and the match.

A great victory in the end won with good shots rather lost with errors.  We are now through to the grand final, which isn't to be held until the first week in October.  Time for some more lessons and practice before then.

• Bogey Golfer, Francie, Goldy and 2 others like this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1277 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43178 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 20 July 2019 - 04:49 PM

Well done Deege
  • Deege likes this

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#1278 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39808 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:37 PM

A good read too.

Well done Lt. Dan.

• Deege likes this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals

Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals

Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015

Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball

Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#1279 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • 37984 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:49 PM

Okay, so we had the next round of our 4BBB matchplay today and it was windy but dry out at Rosebud.  Dwayne was ready for me to pick up (and pay for) before the round so the first round with actual-Dwayne in the bag, but the only difference from the version I have been hitting the last couple of weeks is 0.75 inches off the shaft.  Can't say that I noticed the difference on the course of the shorter shaft, but was certainly more convenient to get him in the boot of the car after the round.

Both teams were playing a low-marker/mid-marker combo - with the two low markers within a shot of each other.  The higher marker on the other team was taking 6 shots from me, so it basically broke out to a third of the holes where she had a shot only, a third of the holes where both of us had shots and a third where nobody did.  It really highlighted the matchplay index as those thirds were spread out evenly across the round.

It was close and never got out by more than 2, but it generally seemed to be us catching up.  We were down by 2 with three holes to go and really looking at pulling out some good shots to keep in the match.  On the 16th which is a longish dogleg left, it is not a guarantee to be in range for GIR for any of us, but with a lovely drive from Dwayne I was in position 1.  Followed it up with a great approach to leave me 10 feet below the hole.  That was enough pressure to make the other team fall apart, both hitting through the green for three.  With a shot in my pocket, they conceded the hole when their respective chips were poor, which had us one down.

The 17th hates me for no particular reason - it is a not terribly long not terribly difficult par 5 with some trouble around the green but it kicks my butt week after week.  Another good drive from Dwayne had me playing last.  My second was struck well but wandered left into the rough at the end, so my approach was going to depend on what shot I had under the overhanging trees.  Not an easy shot but nobody else was on the green in reg though one of my opponents with a good short game was 20m short.  Needed to punch a low shot and try and draw it a little and managed to pull it off almost perfectly, leaving me barely in the fringe at the front of the green.   Good short game opponent didn't leave herself a gimme for par, so I just needed to get down in two to win the hole.  Decent approach putt left me 4.5 feet for par with my opponents in for 6.  Managed to pop it straight in the hole and we were all square heading up the last.

Both my partner and I put good drives in the fairway while both our opponents leaked theirs into the rough right.  The high marker had a shot on the hole, but the green is only barely in range even with a good drive for us.  The best the opponents could do was leave a full shot on for their third, which left the door open.  Both my partner and I hit good shots, but neither on the short grass - her about 50m short and me about 10m off the green with a chip running down the hill.  One of us needed to put it close to try and close out the match.  I hit an okay shot, but my partner put it within 3 feet.  That proved too much for our opponents to match and the conceded the hole and the match.

A great victory in the end won with good shots rather lost with errors.  We are now through to the grand final, which isn't to be held until the first week in October.  Time for some more lessons and practice before then.

.....and to push the handicap ....OUT?   :unsure:

• Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
  • Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
  • Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012
  • Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
  • Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
  • Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013
  • Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013
  • Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018
  • Eagle - Par 5 - 8th at Cape Schanck GC - 18/3/2019
  • Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015
  • Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015
  • Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016
  • Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event
  • Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016
  • Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016
  • Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016
  • Best stroke score OTS - 77 - Gardiners Run GC - 11/11/2018
  • Captains Trophy winner (VPGC) - 2018

#1280 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:46 PM

.....and to push the handicap ....OUT? :unsure:

God no. Now that I have got the driver working well, it’s time to do some hard work and entirely put myself out of the running for the nationals. It was just so refreshing today to step up and hit the drive without THE FEAR. I didn’t hit every fairway, but my errors didn’t get into my head either and I had plenty of good shots to go with. Such a different feel than I have had over the last year or so.

Edited by Deege, 20 July 2019 - 07:56 PM.

• Francie and Goldy like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1281 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43178 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:25 PM

Feel the Dwayne love

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#1282 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • 37984 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 July 2019 - 08:29 PM

God no. Now that I have got the driver working well, it’s time to do some hard work and entirely put myself out of the running for the nationals. It was just so refreshing today to step up and hit the drive without THE FEAR. I didn’t hit every fairway, but my errors didn’t get into my head either and I had plenty of good shots to go with. Such a different feel than I have had over the last year or so.

Good on you....so refreshing reading that some people want to improve their golf....even to the detriment of their comp games.   ;)

• Bogey Golfer, Goldy and Deege like this
  • Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
  • Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
  • Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012
  • Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
  • Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
  • Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013
  • Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013
  • Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018
  • Eagle - Par 5 - 8th at Cape Schanck GC - 18/3/2019
  • Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015
  • Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015
  • Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016
  • Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event
  • Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016
  • Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016
  • Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016
  • Best stroke score OTS - 77 - Gardiners Run GC - 11/11/2018
  • Captains Trophy winner (VPGC) - 2018

#1283 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Swing like......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16223 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 20 July 2019 - 09:34 PM

GG Lt Dan.

18.0 by Dec  2019  - 2.0 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Overall Tour Championship Winner*

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

* LoL

#1284 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:07 PM

Good on you....so refreshing reading that some people want to improve their golf....even to the detriment of their comp games.   ;)

I still think that there might just be a single figure golfer in me struggling to get out - it just might take me another 5 or 10 years to unearth her. But what a journey to look forward to over the years.

I have found it interesting playing this tournament with my friend playing off 9. There aren’t too many shots that she can hit that i can’t. In fact, I can’t think that there is anything in her game that would prohibit single figures for me. I can drive just as far. My putting is comparable and my chipping and bunker play is generally better. Just need to eliminate the really poor shots (a few duffs or bladed shots really do cost me). Looking to discovering my next ‘worst part of my game’ to work on.
  • Weetbix and Goldy like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1285 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5742 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 21 July 2019 - 08:16 AM

I still think that there might just be a single figure golfer in me struggling to get out - it just might take me another 5 or 10 years to unearth her. But what a journey to look forward to over the years.

I have found it interesting playing this tournament with my friend playing off 9. There aren’t too many shots that she can hit that i can’t. In fact, I can’t think that there is anything in her game that would prohibit single figures for me. I can drive just as far. My putting is comparable and my chipping and bunker play is generally better. Just need to eliminate the really poor shots (a few duffs or bladed shots really do cost me). Looking to discovering my next ‘worst part of my game’ to work on.

That’s interesting. I’ve often thought the same thing when comparing myself to better golfers. My good shots are just as good as theirs. But I hit crap shots (often off the tee) and sometimes 2-3 on a single hole that really cost me. So you don’t need to make your good shots better you need to make your bad shots better. Or less frequent. It’s consistency that’s key. My problem is clubbing down on the tee for safety doesn’t work as I’m just as likely to totally screw up a shorter club than a driver.
  • Deege and hack2489 like this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#1286 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 28 July 2019 - 01:56 PM

So played stableford yesterday on a day that was just a great winter's golf day.  Chilly and foggy to begin but no wind or rain to speak of.

Started with a lovely and unexpected par when I holed a long putt.  The driver was working pretty well most of the day (with the exception of a couple of skied shots mid round which were rectified).   I hit some of the longest and best drives I had had on several holes and didn't have any with an uncontrollable shape.  Pulled a couple when I had a bit of an "anti-right" swing but didn't bother me at all and didn't get inside my head which was a lovely change.

All in all the day could have been a good one, if you just took out the four wipes over the course of the round.  Was still in with a chance of making 30 points as late as the final hole but admittedly needed to hole a very lengthy putt to manage it after finding the greenside bunker.

Stroke round next week and hopefully will manage to minimise some of the poor shots and eke out a good score for a change.

• OldBogey, iRON MiCK and Goldy like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1287 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 August 2019 - 04:31 PM

Medal today and the plan was that the "almosts" of last week would translate into a good round today.  And it certainly started off that way.  Had a nice par to start, then stuttered with a hitler on my second.  Managed to get the second attempt to 3 feet to save my bogey.  The 12th (we played off the 10th) is a long par 4 and our number 1 rated hole.  Dwayne managed an absolute mint hit and followed it up with an absolutely clean 5 wood that ended up 4 feet from the hole.  It was a curly down hill putt but managed to mosey it in for a birdie on a hole I don't know that I have ever reached before in regulation.  So that was nice.

What followed for the next couple of holes was a bit more reflective of my normal rounds - a few mis-hits, a few-mis calculations but still in good shape given my great start.  Then everything fell apart on the 15th - a par five dog leg right.  Dwayne had his only real mis-step of the day and blocked me straight into the tea tree scrub to find me playing three off the tee. Dwayne redeemed himself.  Didn't get on to my fourth but got away with it.  Tried too hard to save the hole with the next hit and chunked it straight back into the scrub.  Took an unplayable, clipped a tree when chipping out.  Hit nice approach pin high but on the wrong side of the flag and it trickled away into the bunker.  Downhill lie so got it out and well past.  Managed to hole the putt for a crowd-pleasing 10.

Was pretty down about all of that wasting a good start so played the next couple of holes pretty relaxed.  Then slowly realised that despite my unpleasant 10, my stableford score was still standing up okay so I could still play out for a potentially good flag.  After a few more holes of that I realised that my stroke score wasn't actually terrible either as I was keeping it decently tight otherwise, and a good back 9 could put me back in decent position.

Played well on the back, hampered only by realising that I had left my 6 iron back on our 9th hole, which required a few creative shots.  Taught me that I can actually hit 7 on our short par 3 which is nice as I got on the board for the closest to the pin with the junior jackpot on the line.  Went to tee off on the next hole and looked behind me to see the 7 marker from the next group just about hole her tee shot.  So much for the junior jackpot.

Carried on with Dwayne behaving well.  With 3 holes to go I calculated that if I managed to just nett par in, I would wind up with a nett 77 which was very respectable.  Promptly parred the next hole.  And then followed it up with a couple of two pointers and a nett 76 for the day (with a 10).  Very pleased, and even apart from the 10 there were plenty of shots still out there.  Should flag two shots better again once the 10 is knocked out, which is starting to head back in the right direction.

• Weetbix, Francie, Goldy and 1 other like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1288 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5742 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 03 August 2019 - 05:01 PM

When are you and Dwayne getting engaged?😂
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#1289 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:51 PM

When are you and Dwayne getting engaged?

Purely platonic

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1290 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:52 PM

And it turns out that in a small field in the middle of winter, you can win the medal with a 10 in your score.
  • CaNadiAn MiCk, Weetbix, Francie and 3 others like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)