#1248 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4805 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 April 2019 - 07:09 PM

Wow, it’s dusty in here. Have been playing a bit but otherwise been very busy so the updates have slided. Had a lovely day today at Northern. The first time I had played there and quite enjoyed it. Had a lovely group with Goldy, Chang and Mouldy so there were a lot of laughs.

Driver was working well all day. Never got used to the heavy sand in the bunkers, but got the hang of the greens towards the second half of the round and had some nice putts. Was disappointed to go out in 13 but came home with 18 to finish with 31. That should flag for me playing off 16, so a good day out on a course which is new to me.
  • Weetbix, Francie and iRON MiCK like this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1249 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4805 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 May 2019 - 04:43 PM

So, two rounds since I last updated.  Last week we had our Captain's Muster which is a fun team/individual game.  Any variation of team all playing individual stableford and for each hole one person has to play with the yellow ball (min 4 holes each).  The yellow ball gets its own scorecard.  Delightfully random game.  Managed three wipes for the day and two of them were with the yellow ball!  Played otherwise okay but not great and scored 29.  On a blustery day that was enough for a flag for me, but mainly because one of my better flags dropped out, losing me almost a full shot.

So I had an extra shot for the medal this week.  It was raining and windy and I have been travelling for work all week and have a cold, so I likely shouldn't have been playing.  But I had a great day nonetheless.  Started with a nice birdie which was just lovely.  We were playing off the tenth and was playing pretty well.  Had a sand save on the short par three which I don't normally get a shot on, so that was nice.  On the 16th though was stuck at an awkward distance and unsure what shot to play.  So decided to try and chip a 7 iron up there and shanked it.  Poor recovery and ended up with a triple.  The 17th is a hole I have played poorly on and I really made a hash of it.  Had a 5 iron approach which I struck well, but hit the left side of the green which all feeds to the bunker, so was short sided.  Tried to finesse it too much and left it in, then hit a nice bunker shot but three jabbed because the hole hates me.  Out in 48 nett 3 over.

On to the front 9.  Greenside bunker on approach and another hitler, but this time managed to hole the putt for a 5.  On the par 5 10th my drive went well right and just had to chip out.  Two cracking fairway woods had me on the green and holed the putt for a 5.  I was just trying to play clean from this point, thinking that if I managed to not lose too many shots I would have a chance to have a decent score.  And that was pretty much how it continued.  Driving was a little shaky at times, but all leaving me in recoverable spots.  Knocked out a few good two pointers until the par 3 8th where I don't get a shot. My tee shot stopped just on the lip of the greenside bunker, leaving me standing in the bunker with the ball well above me.  I managed to have a pretty decent chip on, but couldn't hole the putt.  I was happy with a bogey after that tee shot, but it left me needing a par at the 9th if I wanted to finish with the equivalent of 18 points.  So I had some hope as the 9th is reachable for me and very much a par opportunity.

However, drive was well right into the trees and again had to chip out,  though I had a clear line to the "layup" point (it is a short par 4 but there is a lay up area for the long handicappers or if you are out of position short of the large bunker about 50m short of the green).  Hit a decent shot on but a little bit thin so it scooted through to the fringe at the back - leaving a long breaking 35 foot putt from off the green.  I was now just trying to do my best to two putt and sign my card.  So I set it on its path and managed to get it exactly on the line that I wanted to and watched it track straight towards and into the hole.  It never looked like missing.  What a great end to the round.

A nett 75 for me today, which was pretty good in the conditions.  Coupla three putts, coupla hitlers, coupla chip outs and still managed a pretty good score.

• Weetbix and iRON MiCK like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1250 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4805 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 May 2019 - 09:36 AM

Back to 15.0 with one mediocre and one decent flag to drop off in the next two rounds.  After that though I should have a clear run at getting some good flags on the board.

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1251 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4805 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:34 AM

A couple more rounds and a couple more decent scores.  Played stableford last week at Rosebud in some squally rain.  Remember absolutely nothing about the round save that I couldn't buy a par on the front but was otherwise reasonably steady.   Early on the back nine I hit a nice purple patch with a couple of pars in a row and ended the day with 31 points.

Played a lovely round yesterday at Yering Meadows with Goldy, Ghetto and Dallas.  Nice opportunity to actually finish 18 holes there and much more suitable golf weather than the last time I played there.  We played par and managed to do pretty well, square on the front and +2 on the back.  Pleased with just about all parts of the game at the moment so probably time to go back to the coach so he can break something.

Handicap is at 14.7 so consistent with what it has been fore most of 2019, but with the difference that my last 5 rounds in a row have flagged, so hopeful I can do some damage in the coming months.  Just 0.3 off my anchor at the moment but still 2.1 off my best cap so there is some room to have a bit of a bash at it.

• CaNadiAn MiCk, Francie, iRON MiCK and 1 other like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1252 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4805 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 29 June 2019 - 05:05 PM

Nice weather for ducks today at Rosebud and was out for a quick round of par.  Managed a birdie on the first and then wiped the next 5 or 6 holes and the rest of the day was really just trying to come back from that.  Am playing off 16 at Rosebud at the moment as close to a new anchor point but none of it was really showing today.

Have had a few lessons in a row with the driver but too many thoughts going on in too many swings today meant that I was too often scrambling to make a score.  Holed some nice long putts later in the round after I couldn't get a hang of the green speed at all early.  Ended with -7 which was  a more respectable score than I deserved (-5/-2).

But the big news of the day is that I had a driver fitting to see whether all that good work on the swing would be augmented by some new equipment.  Tried 4 or 5 different drivers with varying results.  They all felt and performed much better than my current gamer but we spent some time honing in the best prospects with some different shafts.

Have not yet forked over the dough, but have a Taylormade M6 to take and have a play with at the range and on the course.  On the trackman there was a massive improvement - an extra 12-15 metres of carry and completely stopped the leaking to the right that I have had trouble with.   The price that the coach has given me is barely more than golfbox, so seems like a good deal to me (and the fitting is free with the purchase).

Actually will take it out for a bit more of a dedicated spin at the drive next week and then just throw it into play in a 4BBB matchplay match that I am playing next Sunday.  Awesome.

• Commish, CaNadiAn MiCk, Francie and 6 others like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1253 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1823 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 02 July 2019 - 10:13 PM

Just curious, what's the differences between your old Driver and the new one being 'trialled'?

Shaft?

Head?

Loft?

I'm curious as to what the fitting showed up as to the distance and dispersion gains.

Edited by hack2489, 02 July 2019 - 10:15 PM.

#1254 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4805 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:34 PM

Just curious, what's the differences between your old Driver and the new one being 'trialled'?

Shaft?

Head?

Loft?

I'm curious as to what the fitting showed up as to the distance and dispersion gains.

My old driver is a Ping K15 10.5deg.  I am currently playing with a shaft that Jon installed for me and cut down a little.  Can't tell you the specs of it, but it is slightly stiffer than what I have in the new tester.

The new driver is notionally at 10.5deg but it is adjustable and I am testing and playing it with increased loft.  My coach suggests that this adjustment increases the loft to close to 12deg and closes the face slightly.  I tested it with two different shafts.  This driver had better results than the others I tested regardless of shaft, but the shaft that performed better for me was  this one https://www.pxshaft....flow-max-carry/ but I can't tell you what the flex was without looking at it.  Specifically this shaft gave similar carry etc but with a slightly lower spin, which translated to greater distance.

The shaft as I am testing it is still a little long.  On the assumption that I choose to go with it he is going to cut the shaft down by 3/4 inch.

On the testing the main difference was carry (I was getting about 10m more carry) and the fact that my old driver was skewing right a decent amoun (which is the miss that I have been working on) and the new driver came fairly straight.  In fact all of the trials that I had were keeping much more on line.   I have definitely changed my driver swing quite a bit in the last 12 months (which was necessary).  The last time I asked him to fit me for a new driver everything I was hitting was having the same fault so he insisted that we work on swing changes before we choose equipment. This time was much more productive which suggests to me that was the right decision.

My feel about it is that the new driver feels heavier (even though it is actually lighter) so it has a different balance.  The head when I am hitting the ball feels more solid which gives me more confidence that I am hitting through the ball.  My mis-hits are much more forgiving than the current driver.

• CaNadiAn MiCk, RobNewy and hack2489 like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1255 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4805 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 05 July 2019 - 04:40 PM

So I went to the driving range on Sunday to try out Dwayne (the driver).  I must admit that I get terribly bored at the driving range.  I couldn't get a rubber tee at the right height to match what I like to hit off, so I was exploring the question of "what happens when I hit my new driver too high or too low on the face".   I was pretty impressed with that general disclaimer.  I will have a lot more interest in seeing what it does out on the course - I am throwing caution to the wind and using it in my matchplay match on Sunday.  That will be interesting because it will enable me to compare real outcomes and see if I can manage to control the swing on some of the holes that prove to be problems for me (typically where there is trouble right).

I have been trying a drill at the driving range lately to try improve my face feel - taking driver and trying to hit (with the same alignment) one to the left of my line, one to the right of my line and two straight down my line.  I was actually improving at this drill before my fitting which I think was helping me to get the feeling of where the face should be.  With the new driver I found the same drill quite a bit easier.

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1256 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3176 posts

Posted 07 July 2019 - 11:41 AM

My old driver is a Ping K15 10.5deg.  I am currently playing with a shaft that Jon installed for me and cut down a little.  Can't tell you the specs of it, but it is slightly stiffer than what I have in the new tester.

The new driver is notionally at 10.5deg but it is adjustable and I am testing and playing it with increased loft.  My coach suggests that this adjustment increases the loft to close to 12deg and closes the face slightly.  I tested it with two different shafts.  This driver had better results than the others I tested regardless of shaft, but the shaft that performed better for me was  this one https://www.pxshaft....flow-max-carry/ but I can't tell you what the flex was without looking at it.  Specifically this shaft gave similar carry etc but with a slightly lower spin, which translated to greater distance.

The shaft as I am testing it is still a little long.  On the assumption that I choose to go with it he is going to cut the shaft down by 3/4 inch.

On the testing the main difference was carry (I was getting about 10m more carry) and the fact that my old driver was skewing right a decent amoun (which is the miss that I have been working on) and the new driver came fairly straight.  In fact all of the trials that I had were keeping much more on line.   I have definitely changed my driver swing quite a bit in the last 12 months (which was necessary).  The last time I asked him to fit me for a new driver everything I was hitting was having the same fault so he insisted that we work on swing changes before we choose equipment. This time was much more productive which suggests to me that was the right decision.

My feel about it is that the new driver feels heavier (even though it is actually lighter) so it has a different balance.  The head when I am hitting the ball feels more solid which gives me more confidence that I am hitting through the ball.  My mis-hits are much more forgiving than the current driver.

Deege, interesting read about the new shaft option.

Can you remind me what the shaft was that I installed in your old K15 ( fixed head ? ) to compare the specs, please.

Interesting because the PX Evenflow Max shafts are quite soft in the tips and generate a lot of spin and launch ( Max 45 shaft - 5.5 flex medium stiff, 52 grams, 5.6 torque, low kp & high ball flight or Max 55 shaft - 5.0 flex slightly above reg, 56 grams, 5.0 torque, low kp & high spin )   

Have you stuck with the Ping drivers to test ?

The new driver face would be the main factor re lower spin and launch rates and setting the clubface slightly closed would result in it being squarer at impact.

Will compare shaft specs when you have time to have a look.

Jon...

ps: The " intuitive " modern adaptor settings and adjustments still won't change the lofts of any club, only the face angles but that's another story !

#1257 hack2489

hack2489

WTF, I can change this now?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1823 posts
  • LocationNorthern NSW

Posted 07 July 2019 - 12:20 PM

So I went to the driving range on Sunday to try out Dwayne (the driver). I must admit that I get terribly bored at the driving range. I couldn't get a rubber tee at the right height to match what I like to hit off, so I was exploring the question of "what happens when I hit my new driver too high or too low on the face". I was pretty impressed with that general disclaimer. I will have a lot more interest in seeing what it does out on the course - I am throwing caution to the wind and using it in my matchplay match on Sunday. That will be interesting because it will enable me to compare real outcomes and see if I can manage to control the swing on some of the holes that prove to be problems for me (typically where there is trouble right).

I have been trying a drill at the driving range lately to try improve my face feel - taking driver and trying to hit (with the same alignment) one to the left of my line, one to the right of my line and two straight down my line. I was actually improving at this drill before my fitting which I think was helping me to get the feeling of where the face should be. With the new driver I found the same drill quite a bit easier.

This may, or may not, help you understand more about shafts, flex, spin, launch etc.

I like the conclusion they reach. I think you're already onto it.

https://youtu.be/CKjWF_4gAuQ

#1258 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4805 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:17 PM

Deege, interesting read about the new shaft option.

Can you remind me what the shaft was that I installed in your old K15 ( fixed head ? ) to compare the specs, please.

Interesting because the PX Evenflow Max shafts are quite soft in the tips and generate a lot of spin and launch ( Max 45 shaft - 5.5 flex medium stiff, 52 grams, 5.6 torque, low kp & high ball flight or Max 55 shaft - 5.0 flex slightly above reg, 56 grams, 5.0 torque, low kp & high spin )   

Have you stuck with the Ping drivers to test ?

The new driver face would be the main factor re lower spin and launch rates and setting the clubface slightly closed would result in it being squarer at impact.

Will compare shaft specs when you have time to have a look.

Jon...

ps: The " intuitive " modern adaptor settings and adjustments still won't change the lofts of any club, only the face angles but that's another story !

First, please don't rely on my reporting of shaft/loft intricacies as I don't understand any of it.  I was basically just hitting stuff and then trying to remember/understand for the inevitable questions on the forum.  Okay, so the shaft in my new driver has 5.5.R 45G written on it.  The shaft that you gave me is blue and has Grafalloy Nan-technology Prototype NT 65G R.Flex written on it.

I tested a ping driver as one of the testers - which I think was the G.  It went well but not as good as the M6.

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1259 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4805 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:18 PM

This may, or may not, help you understand more about shafts, flex, spin, launch etc.

I like the conclusion they reach. I think you're already onto it.

Thanks for that, will have a look.

• hack2489 likes this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1260 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4805 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 07 July 2019 - 04:25 PM

So today was the first day out on the course with Dwayne, and it took a little adjustment.  My normal aiming points are a point just in the left rough out of range.   The normal idea is that if I hit it straight it ends up on the left side of the fairway, but if I have a little bit of a fade, I end up in the middle.  Today aiming at the same points was putting me in the left rough - allowing for an extra 20m or so of distance and the fact that the drives were mainly going straight where I was aiming meant that my old aim points weren't working for me.

I was also finding that I was still trying to keep control of the swing a bit much (an anti-right swing) which was ending up left also.  By about the 12th hole or so I was starting to get the confidence to aim up the middle of the fairway and just trust the swing and hit some lovely drives.  Only lost one right all day which ended in a fairway bunker on 11 and managed to scramble a par so that was great.

Just loved the thing all day.  I was playing 4bbb matchplay, so not a totally clean look at how it would work for me, but I was overall thrilled with the improvement.  Once I got in my groove I was matching my playing partner for driving distance and keeping the ball consistently in play in good position.  So have sent coach a note to say that Dwayne has found a permanent spot in the bag so just need to organise the final adjustment to the shaft and then we are off to the races.

• Weetbix, Goldy and koiom K. Asterisk* like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users