#1231 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25355 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:58 PM

Not yet.  Going to schedule some time in a couple of weeks on the trackman trying out some different combinations and see whether it is worth upgrading.  Once we get the actual swing under control, my main concern is that my current driver head is close to 10 years old so I feel like a) I might be missing out on some technical advances/design features that are more suited to my swing but it could be that B) the manufacturers are all full of bullshirt and there is not really much to be gained from technical improvement in clubs.

Kind of frustrating that I have been trying to get a new driver for close to 12 months now and people keep saying "let's just change the set up of your current driver first" or "let's fix your swing so you are getting more consistent contact before we get a new driver" or "let's check to make sure that a new driver will give you improvement before you spend that money".  I wouldn't get this sort of treatment at Drummonds!

New drivers are expensive. Some 'people' offer you good service and want to be as sure as reasonably possible that you wiil get worthwhile improvement for your outlay. Drummonds just want the turnover, now.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#1232 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4875 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:02 PM

New drivers are expensive. Some 'people' offer you good service and want to be as sure as reasonably possible that you wiil get worthwhile improvement for your outlay. Drummonds just want the turnover, now.

That is entirely new information.

• Weetbix, Francie, Goldy and 3 others like this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1233 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20034 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:39 PM

That's a pretty broad sweeping statement there Phil, with no doubt …. **** all to back it up with.

I've lost count of the number of times I've said to a customer

a … "save your money and get a couple of lessons instead of wasting it on a new driver"

or 

b …… "go and get your driver so that you can compare it directly with a new one, and see if there is in fact, anything to be gained".

• Francie likes this

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#1234 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20034 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 07:49 PM

or "let's check to make sure that a new driver will give you improvement before you spend that money".  I wouldn't get this sort of treatment at Drummonds!

Dan . that is the sort of service you should get.

There is no point (in spending your hard earned) …. unless there is an improvement, so by all means, grab your driver and go and compare it directly with some new ones.

Unless you can actually swing a new driver faster than you can swing your existing one, you won't see much in distance gain, so look at the dispersion of your shots with your driver versus any potential new one.

That is where you want to see gains with the slightly newer technology.

Just my thoughts …. 

If you want further info etc, just message me xo

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS

Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

#1235 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4875 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:13 AM

Dan . that is the sort of service you should get.

There is no point (in spending your hard earned) …. unless there is an improvement, so by all means, grab your driver and go and compare it directly with some new ones.

Unless you can actually swing a new driver faster than you can swing your existing one, you won't see much in distance gain, so look at the dispersion of your shots with your driver versus any potential new one.

That is where you want to see gains with the slightly newer technology.

Just my thoughts …. 

If you want further info etc, just message me xo

Thanks Gaz, I wasn't actually meaning to cast aspersions on Drummonds.  I really appreciate the advice that both my primary coach, and supercoach and Jon have provided.  And it shows that I am getting improvements in distance and consistency from swing changes and tweaks to the equipment without actually doing anything about getting new equipment at the moment.

The part of me that wants the shiny new bling gets a little miffed from time to time, and I do think it will be worth it to be re-fit given that it has been a long time since I have been and my swing and game has changed a lot.  But I want to make sure that I am happy with the other changes and have them bedded down before I do get re-fit, to maximise the chance that that process will be helpful to me.

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1236 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25355 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 10:36 AM

That's a pretty broad sweeping statement there Phil, with no doubt …. **** all to back it up with.

I've lost count of the number of times I've said to a customer

a … "save your money and get a couple of lessons instead of wasting it on a new driver"

or 

b …… "go and get your driver so that you can compare it directly with a new one, and see if there is in fact, anything to be gained".

Gaz, my comment was just following on from Deege's Drummonds comment. There have been many derogatory comments in here over the years about Drummonds.

I realise that Drummonds are franchises and, while the stock held may be somewhat standardised, the service provided at each store is the responsibility of that store and hence subject to variation. I have been to a number of Drummonds stores over the years, but not frequently, so I personally am not an authority on their common standard of service. Similarly, I've not had any cause for complaint. I know of others who are very satisfied with Drummonds.

However, if there was a general consensus that their service was inferior to their competitors, I have no doubt whatsoever that you provide a much superior level of service and expertise, as you did for me recently.

Please accept my apology and let me correct my earlier post by deleting "Drummonds" and inserting "some golf retailers". They are not all tarred with the same brush.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#1237 VijayJay

VijayJay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:26 AM

Perhaps some considered thought for the outcome before posting next time might be useful.
I'd hate to think you were plain cheating by writing something you didn't necessarily articulate clearly what you were trying to say which results in some unintended consequences otherwise.
  • Francie and Deege like this

#1238 OldBogey

OldBogey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25355 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 07:45 PM

Perhaps some considered thought for the outcome before posting next time might be useful.
I'd hate to think you were plain cheating by writing something you didn't necessarily articulate clearly what you were trying to say which results in some unintended consequences otherwise.

An obvious comment. I'm surprised there's only been one.
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club

#1239 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20034 posts

Posted 21 February 2019 - 05:53 PM

The part of me that wants the shiny new bling gets a little miffed from time to time, and I do think it will be worth it to be re-fit given that it has been a long time since I have been and my swing and game has changed a lot.  But I want to make sure that I am happy with the other changes and have them bedded down before I do get re-fit, to maximise the chance that that process will be helpful to me.

I understand the shiny new bling and "miffed" feeling.

Just ask Bradley who has been in countless times over the last six months or so, trying all manner of the new model drivers …. and I've sent him away empty handed every time.... simply because they don't outperform his current gamer to the extent that the $$ outlay would pay off ... (I think he might try to shop elsewhere soon) ….. ;)

Bedding down your swing first is a good idea, as for some with really variable swings a "fitting" one day could be entirely inappropriate the next day when they wake up with a different swing.

Our swings do change over time, but its more of a gradual change (unless we get professional intervention and try to throw the baby out with the bathwater).

A consistent "swing" is certainly a much easier one to fit, and it can narrow down to a few of the possibilities very quickly.

No doubt that little voice wanting new bling will overpower everything else at some stage, but I reckon you'd have a pretty consistent swing by now.

Good luck with it all though, and enjoy the fun of experimenting with some clubs …..  :)

Edited by GPJ_Longdriver, 21 February 2019 - 05:54 PM.

WINS

#1240 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 38117 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:00 PM

I understand the shiny new bling and "miffed" feeling.

Just ask Bradley who has been in countless times over the last six months or so, trying all manner of the new model drivers …. and I've sent him away empty handed every time.... simply because they don't outperform his current gamer to the extent that the $$ outlay would pay off ... (I think he might try to shop elsewhere soon) ….. ;)

Bedding down your swing first is a good idea, as for some with really variable swings a "fitting" one day could be entirely inappropriate the next day when they wake up with a different swing.

Our swings do change over time, but its more of a gradual change (unless we get professional intervention and try to throw the baby out with the bathwater).

A consistent "swing" is certainly a much easier one to fit, and it can narrow down to a few of the possibilities very quickly.

No doubt that little voice wanting new bling will overpower everything else at some stage, but I reckon you'd have a pretty consistent swing by now.

Good luck with it all though, and enjoy the fun of experimenting with some clubs …..  :)

Ha, who keeps telling me to upgrade my putter?
  • Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
  • Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
  • Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012
  • Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
  • Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
  • Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013
  • Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013
  • Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018
  • Eagle - Par 5 - 8th at Cape Schanck GC - 18/3/2019
  • Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015
  • Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015
  • Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016
  • Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event
  • Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016
  • Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016
  • Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016
  • Best stroke score OTS - 77 - Gardiners Run GC - 11/11/2018
  • Captains Trophy winner (VPGC) - 2018

#1241 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Swing like......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16263 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 21 February 2019 - 06:57 PM

I was given the same advise by my Local HoG retailer. He wanted to give me lessons, but I insisted he sell me a new driver.

I wanted the Ping G400.

He said he in good conscience he couldn't sell me a new driver, because my swing had too many obvious faults and I would not get any benefit from it.

I disagreed, and we had a honest and open discussion about how I felt, and he gave me a take away tip, and sold me what I wanted.

I tried a few shafts and other Drivers, but went with the G400.

I put it into play at Moonah Links at the 2017 OOM. Never looked back.

I have absolute confidence with this Driver, that if I swing within my own limitations it will go about 200m up the middle, with the smallest of fades.

I am under no illusions that I could have done the same with the old R8, but in my head, I know I would not be as confident as I am with the Ping.

Golf is, in my humble opinion played mainly above the neck after a few years, that you have a swing that will work for most shots. It comes down to whether you believe you can hit the shot. My G400 can.

• Bogey Golfer and Schmuck like this

18.0 by Dec  2019  - 2.0 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Overall Tour Championship Winner*

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

* LoL

#1242 INKY

INKY

Getting laughs somewhere else.

• Members
  • 36037 posts
  • LocationOutta here!!!!

Posted 21 February 2019 - 08:13 PM

What's your approach with the other 96 shots Mick?
  • CaNadiAn MiCk, Schmuck, Goldy and 1 other like this

#1243 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4875 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 March 2019 - 04:02 PM

So we had our monthly medal today.  In the forecast hot conditions I was a little conscious of the fact that the last hot day I played was the OOM, so I organised to hire a cart with a mate and was much happier for it.  Last week when I played with the new driver swing thought it was a real struggle.  The swing felt unfamiliar enough that I just struggled all day to hit it in the middle.  Probably one third good drives and the other two third all over the shop (tops, toes, chunks the whole kit and kaboodle).  Today was fortunately the other way round.  Still felt unfamiliar and had a few mishits, but hit some of the best drives I have ever hit.  That of course didn't mean that I could handle it in from there - like my best drive of the day which left me with 7 iron in on a whole I normally have to hit a fairway wood.  Hit a lovely approach to about 15 metres.  The birdie putt slid by and managed to two putt from 4 feet to walk away with a bogey on a hole which I should have done a lot better.

The putter was really the missed opportunity.  We had our pro-am on Thursday so the greens were lightning quick.  I just missed too many in the 3-5 feet range which were just missed opportunities.  Did have a lovely birdie from off the green though which will bring me back again.  Have to go and get a putting check up from the coach, but part of the difficulty is that I just don't have time to practice.  Am going to try to make some time for some carpet putting.  I bought myself one of these a while back https://www.amazon.c...p/dp/B01718IPUKso think I will set them up on the spare putter in the office and get some reps in.

Ended up 46/49 95, for a nett 79 which is actually better than I thought I was going to do after a flat spot in the middle of the round.

• iRON MiCK and Schmuck like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1244 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4875 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 03 March 2019 - 08:28 AM

So was pretty pleased when I loaded up the game golf stats. One of my drives came out as the longest I have recorded in the year or so since using the system. 218 metres without wind or slope assistance. If I can get to a point where I am regularly putting it out about 200 then that will make a huge difference to my ability to score well.

While still a work in progress, my last ten rounds compared with all rounds recorded sees an increase in average driving distance of about 20m which is frankly huge. And given that the move I am working on is to improve rotation, that increase should filter down through the bag as time goes on.
  • RobNewy and Forrest Gardener like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1245 INKY

INKY

Getting laughs somewhere else.

• Members
  • 36037 posts