#1216 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37981 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 November 2018 - 03:26 PM

Beef managed it much more quickly than I did.  I was reduced to bashing it with a car jack iron against the concrete of the parking lot.  Of course after I got in, this was happening at 11pm so that I could rescue my pajamas packed inside my golf bag before going to bed.  No more key locks for me!

:D  :lol:    the mind's eye of that situation makes me laugh

• Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
  • Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
  • Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012
  • Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
  • Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
  • Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013
  • Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013
  • Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018
  • Eagle - Par 5 - 8th at Cape Schanck GC - 18/3/2019
  • Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015
  • Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015
  • Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016
  • Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event
  • Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016
  • Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016
  • Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016
  • Best stroke score OTS - 77 - Gardiners Run GC - 11/11/2018
  • Captains Trophy winner (VPGC) - 2018

#1217 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 November 2018 - 03:30 PM

:D  :lol:    the mind's eye of that situation makes me laugh

Even better when you imagine my two little old lady travelling companions already in their pajamas by the time I arrived feeling like they had to watch me from the doorway to make sure I could get into my bag, even though they couldn't really help.  Then we all had a nice cup of herbal tea and went to bed.

• Francie likes this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1218 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39808 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 20 November 2018 - 03:51 PM

Kill me.

• Francie and Fill the Dill like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals

Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals

Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015

Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball

Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#1219 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Swing like......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16223 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:49 PM

No pillow fights?

18.0 by Dec  2019  - 2.0 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Overall Tour Championship Winner*

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

* LoL

#1220 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:53 PM

No pillow fights?

Seriously, what is it with you guys and sleepover pillow fights?  Jelly wrestling takes up quite enough time as it is.

• Francie, iRON MiCK, Goldy and 1 other like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1221 iRON MiCK

iRON MiCK

Swing like......

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16223 posts
  • Locationwww.iseekgolf.com

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:56 PM

Seriously, what is it with you guys and sleepover pillow fights? Jelly wrestling takes up quite enough time as it is.

What flavour Jelly? Asking for a friend?

18.0 by Dec  2019  - 2.0 to go

2017 VIC ISG OOM "The Goldy" Overall Tour Championship Winner*

2017 VIC OOM #5 Gardiners Run Overall Winner

http://www.golf.org....icap/3010407931

"Team Grank" founding member

* LoL

#1222 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:42 AM

What flavour Jelly? Asking for a friend?

Ewww

• iRON MiCK likes this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1223 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 January 2019 - 11:52 AM

Okay quick summary of the Summer of Golf.

Went for the annual tradition of playing a round with my Dad at his club Box Hill.  He was dead proud cause the lesson I bought him for Christmas the previous year had managed to get his handicap under 36 (to 35) for the first time in 5 years.  Started with a par and continued with one of the worst ball striking rounds I have played in recent years.  Adjusted gross of 98 so still beat Mick and my Dad off the stick.

Had a couple of rounds at Rosebud with various configurations.   Some semi-consistent play led me to getting a new anchor point just before Christmas.  Still two shots above my low anchor and have already gone out half a shot again since then.  But is fun to be a bit more regularly playing off less than 18.

Though round of the year so far goes to my effort on Saturday where I managed to salvage 30 points with 5 wipes, 6 pars and 2 doubles (off 16).

Am about due for another lesson as the driver is (largely) behaving itself.  Want to go and see what clubs I might aim to update this year.  Thinking new driver is a definite.  Logically I should update my irons, but to be honest, I am perfectly fine with the ones that I have, so don't know if I am that keen on spending money on them.

Time for another lesson and some more stuff to work on - my review of the year just gone is that I have managed to significantly increase my distance through most of the bag, just with swing changes.  I think my short game has improved (particularly putting in the second half of the year).  So I really hope that I can continue to get some consolidated movement on the handicap and define playing off about 15 as "the new normal".

Edited by Deege, 16 January 2019 - 11:57 AM.

• iRON MiCK, Goldy, INKY and 1 other like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1224 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:09 PM

So played yesterday at Rossdale for the first time.  I didn't find the course particularly thrilling though there were some nice holes.  I drove the ball well all day, but everything else was just a little off.  Only a couple of genuinely unforced errors, but lots of instances of just not getting the right result.  Found myself underclubbing all day, and it was obviously that I wasn't getting the run on the fairways that I expected.  But that meant that I was constantly scrambling to try and get two points.

Had a couple of wipes, no three pointers all day and a lot of one pointers.  

Only hit two bad drives all day - one on the first (inexplicably a "double dogleg" par 5 - one of the holes I particularly did not like) where I put myself under a tree without a swing which I proved by subsequently fresh-airing it.  One was on the 9th, an annoying long and narrow par 3 with overhanging trees - I very much dislike it when course designers try to make par 3s "interesting" by just making them punitively difficult.  Forced me to take driver which didn't work out well on a narrow hole with overhanging trees (!).  The provisional ball went in a similar direction but I managed to find it but couldn't get up and down for a point around the previously mentioned overhanging trees.

The score was a bit of a write-off, but it was a pleasant enough morning.

One of my playing partners suggested I really should have tried to hit my drive more to the left where there is more room and a better angle.  If only she had given that advice before I hit off!

Otherwise my driver was pretty much superb, which is a good sign going forward.  I think I am going to try to get in for a lesson on the weekend to do a final check on the full swing and see whether all is in order.

• CaNadiAn MiCk and Forrest Gardener like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1225 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 January 2019 - 02:26 PM

Stableford at Rosebud today in the last hitout before OOM1.  And as it happened, I had a lovely day.  19/18 = 37 with one wipe (so frustrating cause the short putt for a one pointer horseshoed its way out.

There were a few shots left out there as well.  Had a couple of hitlers early, and flubbbed a chip later in the round unnecessarily.

Drove the ball well all day and putted well which was a bit of a saviour for me.  The early bunker woes gave way to a couple of lovely bunker shots later in the round.  Apart from that, nothing too spectactular but a good steady day when there weren't too many mistakes.

• Weetbix, iRON MiCK, koiom K. Asterisk* and 2 others like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1226 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 26 January 2019 - 09:18 PM

New cap, new anchor mark 14.3

• Francie, iRON MiCK and koiom K. Asterisk* like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1227 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 12 February 2019 - 04:11 PM

Okay, so a little break from golf after the meltdown at the OOM.  Looking forward to entirely more reasonable temps expected on the weekend so I might even complete the round.  The annoying thing about the OOM was that generally speaking I was playing reasonably competently and was every chance for a flag if I had managed to actually, you know, complete the round.  Oh well, would have been silly to actually do myself an injury in search of flag on the old handicap.

Have booked in for a lesson this Saturday with the pro at Rosebud.  Need to check in on progress with the driver swing (though it has been generally good, need to check whether any tweaks are needed).  I will see if he will then let me organise a fitting for a new driver (he wouldn't until I fixed the swing a little) but I will schedule that separately.  Will take the rest of the lesson to get him to teach me some options from 30-40m where I am feeling a little bit like I am not sure what sort of shot I am trying to hit with the result that the distance control in particular is seriously lacking.

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1228 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:12 AM

Well a round yesterday that was all over the place.  Started with a lovely up and down par, had 10 points after 4 holes and then the wheels fell off.  Ended up with a bunch of wipes and 25 points for the day.  Was so pleased to get out and play and feel much better for it.  Had a lesson after the round trying to work on the driver swing.

I know I shouldn't keep being surprised when the pro is good at his job, but he is really good at his job.  He made a few tweaks, gave me a new swing thought and suddenly I am getting these lovely high straight hits with the driver.  Looking at the trackman and comparing the before and after was amazing, even with just a few small little changes.  Looking foward to getting out and giving it a go on the course.

• CaNadiAn MiCk, Francie, iRON MiCK and 2 others like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1229 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3428 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 09:38 PM

Well a round yesterday that was all over the place.  Started with a lovely up and down par, had 10 points after 4 holes and then the wheels fell off.  Ended up with a bunch of wipes and 25 points for the day.  Was so pleased to get out and play and feel much better for it.  Had a lesson after the round trying to work on the driver swing.

I know I shouldn't keep being surprised when the pro is good at his job, but he is really good at his job.  He made a few tweaks, gave me a new swing thought and suddenly I am getting these lovely high straight hits with the driver.  Looking at the trackman and comparing the before and after was amazing, even with just a few small little changes.  Looking forward to getting out and giving it a go on the course.

Got the new driver yet ?

Jon...

#1230 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 19 February 2019 - 03:00 PM

Got the new driver yet ?

Jon...

Not yet.  Going to schedule some time in a couple of weeks on the trackman trying out some different combinations and see whether it is worth upgrading.  Once we get the actual swing under control, my main concern is that my current driver head is close to 10 years old so I feel like a) I might be missing out on some technical advances/design features that are more suited to my swing but it could be that B) the manufacturers are all full of bullshirt and there is not really much to be gained from technical improvement in clubs.

Kind of frustrating that I have been trying to get a new driver for close to 12 months now and people keep saying "let's just change the set up of your current driver first" or "let's fix your swing so you are getting more consistent contact before we get a new driver" or "let's check to make sure that a new driver will give you improvement before you spend that money".  I wouldn't get this sort of treatment at Drummonds!

• Francie and Schmuck like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users