#1201 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 November 2018 - 02:34 PM

Well had a great day out at Gardiners today.  A very enjoyable golf course and a gorgeous day for it.

I drove the ball well all day and was very pleased with that aspect of the game.  My last couple of games have really seen the change in the driver start to come good so will be time to go off and start working on the next thing soon.  I putted quite well most of the day and had a number of quite pleasing saves, but had two disappointing three putt two pointers.  Fairway woods were quite good and most of the greens were in range of regulation for me which makes a huge difference to potential score.  Ended up 20/21 with a wipe which I am very pleased with.

Lost almost a full shot off the handicap and have set up well to head off to Tassie next weekend to play at Barnbougle and Lost Farms with some of my friends from Rosebud.  Looking forward to it.

• Goldy, koiom K. Asterisk*, Fill the Dill and 1 other like this

Golflink

Winner C Grade Long Drive 2013 OOM #2 Heidelberg

Winner B Grade Long Drive 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Winner B Grade NTP 2015 OOM #4 Heritage

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1202 Goldy

Goldy

Ed Rayner's love child

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 39808 posts
  • Location20m closer than you expected

Posted 11 November 2018 - 02:49 PM

Well played today Lt Dan....driver was awesome....and everything else wasn’t shabby either!

Fun day watching Geoff have a conversation with himself for 4 hours.
  • Kiwi, Francie and Deege like this

Winner Moonah Legends 2013 ISG Nationals

Winner The National 2013 ISG Nationals

Winner 4BBB 2013 ISG Nationals
Winner Stink's 3 Club Challenge 2015

Winner C grade OOM The Sands 2016

Hole-in-one Growling Frog 14/1/17 5th hole 137m TM RBZ 5 hybrid, Srixon AD333 ball

Growling Frog GC Matchplay Champion 2017

Winner B grade OOM Curlewis 2018

Other, less impressive stuff...(I know...it's marginal...)
R/Up ISG Nationals 2013

C Grade LD Growling Frog 8/2/14, 11th hole, TM R1, HOF Patriot shaft, testicles of steel

3 Birdies in one round The Glades 2015 ISG Nationals 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 26/12/17, 15th hole, Callaway BB Alpha, HOF Patriot shaft, same old testicles of steel
C Grade LD Growling Frog 11/8/18, blah blah blah,,,,this is getting to be almost monotonous..... 

C Grade LD Growling Frog 1/9/18,...maybe these are now so commonplace I should just stop listing them

Never contended for the trophy named for me

Low Handicap point 12.7 9/4/16

Finally...and most importantly...
Smoldy....when only the best will do.

#1203 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I'm optimal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18403 posts
  • LocationHotel Shanker Lazimpat, Kathmandu 44600 Nepal

Posted 11 November 2018 - 03:08 PM

Well played today Lt Dan....driver was awesome....and everything else wasn’t shabby either!
Fun day watching Geoff have a conversation with himself for 4 hours.

I don't know if he was listening though.

Great round of golf Deege. Very stiff to cop that bunker position which was always going to be a wipe. I'd blame those bloody social groups who don't rake the bunkers properly.
  • Kiwi likes this
Shanklink

OOM Tour
I am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide Tour
Winner 2017 Keysborough Invitational

Choppers Tour
Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine
Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#1204 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24048 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 03:27 PM

Well had a great day out at Gardiners today.  A very enjoyable golf course and a gorgeous day for it.

I drove the ball well all day and was very pleased with that aspect of the game.  My last couple of games have really seen the change in the driver start to come good so will be time to go off and start working on the next thing soon.  I putted quite well most of the day and had a number of quite pleasing saves, but had two disappointing three putt two pointers.  Fairway woods were quite good and most of the greens were in range of regulation for me which makes a huge difference to potential score.  Ended up 20/21 with a wipe which I am very pleased with.

Lost almost a full shot off the handicap and have set up well to head off to Tassie next weekend to play at Barnbougle and Lost Farms with some of my friends from Rosebud.  Looking forward to it.

Well played LT Dan. You go alright kiddo.
Enjoy your trip.
& just so u know Our game at moonah was a highlight for me this year. :)
  • Deege likes this
Half the Trentham dream team

#1205 GPJ_Longdriver

GPJ_Longdriver

Long Iron Appreciation Society President.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20012 posts
  • LocationWithin reaching distance of a golf club.

Posted 11 November 2018 - 04:07 PM

Have a great n safe trip Dan, a couple of fun courses ahead of you .....  ;)

http://www.golf.org....icap/3160102708

Le Hole in 1 (#1) ..... Beaconhills 30/06/2013 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#2) ...... Beaconhills 09/08/2014 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / TM Lethal ball.
Le Hole in 1 (#3) ...... Beaconhills 22/02/2015 6th Hole - Mizuno MP 68 7 iron / Titleist NXT Tour ball.

WINS
2012 Rotary Charity Day Dream Team
2013 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 Cardinia Beaconhills Invitational Classic
2014 W.A. Invitational Classic (Joondalup)

2015 Cardinia Beaconhills - Captain's Trophy Winner
2016 W.A. Invitational Classic (Albany)
2017 W.A. Invitational Classic (The Cut)
2017 Baconwide Tour 4BBB Flinders -with Chip In King

2018 Coober Pedy Opal Fields Open

2018 Alice Springs Invitational
Stink / GPJ Trophy - Lowest Score Off The Stick (OOM's) - Sandhurst, Settlers Run, Growling Frog, Gardiners Run.

President of ISeekGolf - Long Iron Appreciation Society.

Lead proponent for the abolition of Hybrids, G'brids and Rescues
"Caffeine n Darts" - Proud sponsors of GPJ Golfing 2018.

#1206 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 11 November 2018 - 06:23 PM

Thanks guys. Really looking forward to the weekend in Tassie. I figure that a golf trip with little old ladies might be a bit different to the environment at the Nats.

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1207 HitNhope

HitNhope

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14829 posts
  • LocationHere but not There

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:00 PM

Thanks guys. Really looking forward to the weekend in Tassie. I figure that a golf trip with little old ladies might be a bit different to the environment at the Nats.

It won't be that different.. :D

#1208 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I'm optimal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18403 posts
  • LocationHotel Shanker Lazimpat, Kathmandu 44600 Nepal

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:11 PM

Merely more buckets of white rather than red I suspect. I'm more concerned about the young Tasmanian men who might get molested. What happens on tour stays on tour except here where we insist on hearing the sordid details.
Shanklink

OOM Tour
I am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide Tour
Winner 2017 Keysborough Invitational

Choppers Tour
Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine
Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#1209 Joe79

Joe79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3050 posts
  • LocationVic (Metro North)

Posted 13 November 2018 - 02:31 PM

Enjoy the trip!

• Deege likes this
OOM 4 2017 Moonah Open C Grade and Overall Winner - 39pts
OOM 1 2018 Growling Frog B Grade and Overall Winner - 40pts

Cap: 15.4 Gamegolf

WITB:
Primary: X2 Hot Pro 8.5 on Kuro Kage Silver TiNi Stiff | Big Bertha 3W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Big Bertha 5W on Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50 Stiff Shaft | Wilson Staff FG Tour 3I on Project X 5.5 | Mizuno MP 54 4-PW on Project X 5.5 Stiff Shafts | Mack Daddy 2 56* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 60* bent to 58* | Odyssey Works Metal-X #1 (2013) |

Spare: Big Bertha Mini on Aldila Tour Green Shaft | Great Big Bertha 3W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Great Big Bertha 5W on Fujukura 665 Reg Shaft | Cally X Forged 13's on Project X PXi 6.0 Steel shafts 3-PW | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 52* bent to 54* | Mack Daddy 2 Slate S Grind 56* bent to 58* | Odyssey Metal X Milled #1 |

#1210 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:36 AM

Well I am back from the Tassie trip, and what a glorious trip it was.  The plan was to head over with a group of four from our club - we often play as a group of a Saturday morning and were just idly chatting one day about how we would love to go and play Barnbougle/Lost Farm one day.  We realised there was nothing stopping us and organised a weekend.

Unfortunately one of our group was a scratching due to some health issues, but the three of us had a great time.

Accommodation on the course wasn't available on one of the days we booked, but we snagged a good Airbnb in the middle of the bustling town that is Bridport for significantly cheaper accommodation costs anyway.  A slight mishap when I left my cabin baggage at home when I went to work.  There wasn't much that I could do without, except it included the trophy for the weekend that I had picked up, and of course the key to the lock on my golf travel bag.  So had to break the second one of those locks in less than a month after a similar issue at the Nationals.  I have learned my lesson and bought a combination lock for the future.

We were playing for our trophy which we dubbed "The Maureen" after the member of our group who hadn't managed to make it.  We decided that the trophy should be perpetual as we plan to have some more similar trips in the future to check out courses we wanted to play - thinking about going up the Murray next year.

Day 1 was playing on the Dunes course.  One of the women I played with was concerned about being able to walk the course so had arranged to have a cart.  This required a medical certificate, and also to pay for a caddie to drive the cart.  The cart fit two bags, so the other of our group planned to put her bag on the cart also with me pulling up the rear in a pull cart.  When we got there, the lovely Ross said that if I chucked him a $20 cash in hand, he would put my bag on the cart as well and we would all ride in style.  While I wouldn't have paid full whack for the privilege, it did make the logistics and speed of getting around the court much better.

On the first day, they recommended the tees based on the highest handicap in the group, which meant we played off the forward tees, rated at about 116 from memory.  We had lovely weather, and we all really enjoyed the Dunes course.  Some spectactular views at different times, with a very links style.  The course was immaculate, though Ross related that they had to do a lot of work when it was windy to keep the sand in the bunkers.

For me, I played passably well but managed to miss some opportunities to get a decent score.  Disappointingly ended the day on 29 points with 4 wipes or something.  Played well out of bunkers all day, putted decently but had a couple of holes where I couldn't hit the ball cleanly to save myself.  But after the first day I was leading the charge by one point.

• CaNadiAn MiCk, iRON MiCK, Fill the Dill and 2 others like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1211 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:44 AM

Day two and playing the Lost Farm course.  We decided to play off the blues which was one tee box more difficult than the day before.  I don't know why we thought this was a good idea given that our high handicapper had scored 17 points the day before, but YOLO.

Even allowing for the different tee boxes, we found the course significantly more difficult - plenty of forced carries over grassy crap.  As the day went on, whenever there was a forced carry our high handicapper played from the forward tees, so as not to rob herself of all enjoyment.  Given that it was a non-handicapped game, we also reserved the right to allow for some mulligans or 3 seconds off the tee type recalls for truly terrible shots.

Both the fairways and greens were much more undulating than the previous day, and some of the greens were simply huge.  The penal fairway bunkers were well in play from all over the course and there were a lot more recovery shots required from our group.  The golf was not great as a result.  Even with the assistance of the ever-pleasant Ross, the blind shots and guessing of directions meant that we had too many shots which were disadvantaged by not knowing the safe lines and bailout areas.

I found the course to be more spectacular than the Dunes though.  Each of the holes just about was a gorgeous picture which did not translate at all into my inept iphone photographs.

All in all, both excellent and enjoyable courses though the Dunes had the edge for us.  We did learn that they are courses where playing the appropriate tees for your group makes the day much more enjoyable - on the second day the blue tees were fine for me and my friend playing off about 20 but for the 38 handicapper they were not fun.

While the golf wasn't great, I ended up taking the Maureen by quite a margin when my two playing partners failed to break 20 on the second day.  Ahh, the benefits of a three person field.  The trophy will be presented on Saturday when we reconvene at Rosebud (with the actual Maureen expected to be in attendance for the first time since she suffered a mild stroke earlier in the year - so should be a good day all round).

• BumpunGrind, CaNadiAn MiCk, Francie and 5 others like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1212 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:49 AM

Verdict and recommendation - definitely worth checking it out.  I flew in Friday and came back Sunday and it was entirely manageable as a weekend trip from Melbourne.  The green fees were $120 per day which was pretty fair for the quality of the courses.  Staying off site (and we had heaps of options for this) was affordable with a group.  You wouldn't go there for any other reason than to play golf, so I doubt I will get back there unless there is an iseek trip or something similar.  However, I would be happy to go back for a similar weekend if people did want to as I certainly thought it was a great option for a golfing weekend.

• CaNadiAn MiCk, Weetbix and Fill the Dill like this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

#1213 BumpunGrind

BumpunGrind

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13412 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 20 November 2018 - 07:55 AM

YOLO haha

you are awesome Deege

great read and well done

• Deege likes this

#teamgrank

#theyarenotmypants

#hashtag

#1214 Francie

Francie

Inaugural Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37981 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 November 2018 - 03:08 PM

Well I am back from the Tassie trip, and what a glorious trip it was.  The plan was to head over with a group of four from our club - we often play as a group of a Saturday morning and were just idly chatting one day about how we would love to go and play Barnbougle/Lost Farm one day.  We realised there was nothing stopping us and organised a weekend.

Unfortunately one of our group was a scratching due to some health issues, but the three of us had a great time.

Accommodation on the course wasn't available on one of the days we booked, but we snagged a good Airbnb in the middle of the bustling town that is Bridport for significantly cheaper accommodation costs anyway.  A slight mishap when I left my cabin baggage at home when I went to work.  There wasn't much that I could do without, except it included the trophy for the weekend that I had picked up, and of course the key to the lock on my golf travel bag.  So had to break the second one of those locks in less than a month after a similar issue at the Nationals.  I have learned my lesson and bought a combination lock for the future.

OMFG!!!!!    :o   You did it again!!!  Where's Beef when you need him.   ;)

• Inaugural winner "Castlemaine" Vic ISG golf day 2009
  • Inaugural Victorian OOM Putting Champion - Long Island 2011
  • Inaugural ISG National Golf Champion - Queensland September 2012
  • Inaugural winner Casey Rotary Golf Day 2012 - Part of the 'Dream Team'
  • Hole In One - 7th Hole Portsea GC - 9/10/2012
  • Long drive "champion" - Stinks 3 club challenge - 22/9/2013
  • Shipwreck Coast Classic - B Grade Men Winner (Warrnambool) - 9/11/2013
  • Inaugural holder - ISG TBPNTHWAOOM trophy - 2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 18th at St. Andrews Beach - 1/9/2015
  • Eagle - Par 4 - 3rd at Long Reef GC (NSW) - 18/9/2018
  • Eagle - Par 5 - 8th at Cape Schanck GC - 18/3/2019
  • Holder - Brass yacht trophy - 2015
  • Player of the Year (VPGC) - 2015
  • Winner - ISG Tombstone event - Lang Lang - 4/9/2016
  • Half of 4BBB Champion team with Commish - 2016 National Event
  • Half of winning finalist - Doubles Match-play team (VPGC) - 2016
  • Team member - Winners of Australian ...... Matchplay Championship - 18/11/2016
  • Veterans Champion (VPGC) - 2016
  • Best stroke score OTS - 77 - Gardiners Run GC - 11/11/2018
  • Captains Trophy winner (VPGC) - 2018

#1215 Deege

Deege

Really nice person

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4848 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 20 November 2018 - 03:17 PM

OMFG!!!!!    :o   You did it again!!!  Where's Beef when you need him.   ;)

Beef managed it much more quickly than I did.  I was reduced to bashing it with a car jack iron against the concrete of the parking lot.  Of course after I got in, this was happening at 11pm so that I could rescue my pajamas packed inside my golf bag before going to bed.  No more key locks for me!

• Francie likes this

Golflink

Handicap PB - 12.6, baby

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users