Photo

From Scratch to Scratch in one year - possible?

• Please log in to reply
817 replies to this topic

#796 Dave_11372662112

Dave_11372662112

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:54 PM

I wouldnt say its impossible I rememeber a story about an archery person who went from begining in one year to making the Olympics in he next year... hmm that said I would say its unlikely as the golf mechancis are hard to master

#797 Sanchez89

Sanchez89

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 06:56 PM

No, i believe he means shooting 3 under on any course consistently.
Due to courses being easier than what there par is..
e.g course rated 70, par 72, therefore shootin 69 is playing to a +1 handicap.

yer thats what i meant cause the CCR isn't always gonna be the same as the par

#798 zenobia

zenobia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 05:36 PM

i'm sure no one would rob you of saying you had a par round even though the CCR is a couple under. IMO par is par, F#*k the CCR.

#799 DownTheGuts

DownTheGuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 08:10 PM

no way........i will buy you 20 years supply of Pro V's if you can pull it off Good Luck though

#800 NoHookLefty

NoHookLefty

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 10:40 PM

No. I am off 2. I go between 1 and 2. 2 in Winter LOL. Have been to scratch. +0.4 actually. Thats with practising every other day. Playing mid week and weekends. Also things to consider. My home track rates under par CCR to be of SCR you need to be consistantly breaking par. Par 71 and CCR is nearly always 70. Play at a mates course and par 72 rates 75 74 frequently. He can shoot 3 or 4 over and not move or loose point one. Married and kids at 37 and cannot break 100. Scr in a year. NOPE and I would like some of that bet. One funny story is that I can play a bit right handed probably shoot 80 to 84. Then turn up lefty and skin them wild. LOL

#801 Seoul

Seoul

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 12:25 AM

QUOTE: WhataShot @ May 29 2006, 04:09 PM

Gee this guy added to the thread didn't he!! And this is only a couple of the ** posts he made...what happened here? dry.gif

And how exactly did you add to the thread with that insightful contribution?

huh.gif

Beware of cheap imitations - Especially from the US

No worse than about 5500 of your posts Mr Fireypooh.

#802 mavrick80

mavrick80

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 10:29 AM

Interesting topic. I too had this dream, about 2 years ago. I still don't have my handicap yet....... Anyway, I'd say you'd have to have someone watch you're swing a lot so you don't waste time hitting balls with a bad swing and and grooving bad habits. See a coach at least once a week. It'd be good to see a head coach as well. You'd need to study the course you want to play on, so that you know where to hit it, where the slopes are etc. You'd need some good forged clubs, so the distance is more accurate. So obviously you'd need to know how far you hit your clubs. A GPS would help on the course. And having a lot of practice on the course instead of on the range would help as well. I've given it some thought before, and this is what I came up with. Also, if you get down to 10 in one year, that's still a great achievement.

#803 GunnerGolf

GunnerGolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:46 AM

No. I am off 2. I go between 1 and 2. 2 in Winter LOL.
Have been to scratch. +0.4 actually. Thats with practising every other day. Playing mid week and weekends.

Also things to consider. My home track rates under par CCR to be of SCR you need to be consistantly breaking par. Par 71 and CCR is nearly always 70.

Play at a mates course and par 72 rates 75 74 frequently. He can shoot 3 or 4 over and not move or loose point one.

Married and kids at 37 and cannot break 100. Scr in a year. NOPE and I would like some of that bet.
One funny story is that I can play a bit right handed probably shoot 80 to 84. Then turn up lefty and skin them wild. LOL

Read from the start... his target was not to get to scratch handicap, but shoot a level par round. Read it all the way through, with the coaching and time he put in I reckon it was totally legit.

#804 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12714 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:19 PM

Very interesting old thread by Irishman John Richardson who went on to Publish a best selling book titled "Dream on". Obviously with some assistance from this forum.

#805 RodgerDavid

RodgerDavid

Suspect

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:22 AM

well dont know if i'm repeating self, but hey play golf for 40 years only jusf learnt the game. What u say been as low as 7 but did i ever play to 7 again no. its not hard my best game dropped handicap from 12 to 7 but could never repeat it consistantly so back at 10 not long after. what a load of sh.t and thats my response at 51years 3months and 7 days played the the best game of golf ever i have played.......no joke 1 over, gailes gc qld. 5,7,putter only clubs in bag. 14 clubs the best in golb balls what a load of ****. Yes, to be T%GER, P&IL or any of the top 100-1000 u need everything that they do, practice, practice practice. BUT 4 average JOE easy to drop shots, play smart!!!!! djrodger@iprimus.com.au lets chat.

#806 AlexMc

AlexMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1903 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:42 AM

http://scratchtoscra...three-chapters/ There's the first three chapters of the book...

#807 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12714 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:46 AM

Good one Alex, thanks...

#808 Daves

Daves

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7439 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:48 AM

Surest way for someone to succeed at something like this is to get a whole heap of experts telling them it can't be done! Eh Cliff!

#809 HoleIn100

HoleIn100

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:04 PM

Amazing thread, and congrats Scratch to Scratch!!! My only issue is that i get to page 29 - Sorry, something has gone awry. Page 30 - Sorry, something has gone awry! These are the pages where Scratch announces his achievement :-(

#810 waffle_iron

waffle_iron

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12714 posts

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:10 PM

You may have to buy the book Hole :) Its the only reason I can think of the pages are gone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users