Photo

From Scratch to Scratch in one year - possible?

• Please log in to reply
817 replies to this topic

#16 amanda_wong

amanda_wong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 07:05 PM

ScratchtoScratch

- my only suggestion would be to find a top teaching pro, let them know about your plan and get them to figure out some sort of 12-month program to help you get there (and of course, I'm sure they'd want co-authoring on your book - but it might be an advantageous marketing tool)

#17 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 09:10 PM

It just came to mind...
Project Golfer by one of the Aus Golf Magazine...
in one year...he could only get his hcp down by 10 or so to a 9hcp...and this was with proper equipment, playing with the pros, taught by the pros...

#18 _Andrew_

_Andrew_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2337 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 02:14 AM

If you have played other sports at a top level you may have a chance.

Pat Rafter plays off 4 at Terry Hills without trying too much. Don Bradman played off about 9 in his playing days, but after he retired from cricket he concentrated more on golf & got down to scratch in about a year & stayed their for many years to come.

Of course, Don Bradman had a test average of 99.94, also won the South Australian Squash Championships, regularly played tennis with Jack Crawford who was quoted to say that the Don good enough to go straight into the top 10 tennis players in the world & he also went as close to beating Walter Lindrum as anyone in the world did at that time.

I'm not sure if you have a sporting pedigree like that. (I'm not sure anyone has)

Good luck though. I'm sure you will have alot of fun with it. Even if you only get down to single figures, you should not consider that a failure.

#19 ScratchtoScratch

ScratchtoScratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 03:13 AM

More good stuff thanks.

I am doing it in conjunction with a teaching pro. She is an ex-tour player (European) so knows a fair bit about it. The program will be very strongly driven by her.

I don't have a very strong sporting pedigree and agree this would help. Part of the thinking behind this whole thing was prompted by a friend of mine who was a professional basketball player and then took up golf. In about two years he was playing off 2. Not quite what I'm after but still a very good example of what can be done if you have some basic ability.

Just to clarify - I'm not trying to get my handicap down to Scratch - I simply want to be able to play one scratch round. I'm assuming I can get my handicap down to 3 or 4 and then play one very hot round. Massive assumption I know but that's my thinking.

I've kicked this idea round now for 8 years and have to give it a try for my own sanity. It's not about making money from a book (which is an incredibly hard thing to do) it's about the challenge and pushing myself to see what can be done.

#20 lvlong

lvlong

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 05:49 AM

I personally think it is possible for you to play a par round within a year. Keep working on your swing but don't rush, one bit at a time. But the most important part is the short game like put, chip and pitch within 100 m to the green. With the time that you have, if you keep practicing 2h per day for the rest of the year, i reckon you have some chances there.
I broke 80 within a year and only practiced 2 times a week and had about 10 lessons with the pro. My friends who learned all by themself broke 90 after 5 years and that after they heard me and had some lessons. So get it right at the beginning is extremely important.

#21 butchy

butchy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1507 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 06:04 AM

I'm not lumping you into this category by any means - I'm just interested that you set a goal and didn't get there.

you may have misunderstood what i said. aiming to be off scratch at the end of this year, which will be 2 years after i set the goal. hopefully i can get my arse movin' and get there in time!!!!!!

#22 AlexMc

AlexMc

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1903 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 06:09 AM

it's a big ask...i dont think it can be done to be honest. i started when i was 14, was pretty good at cricket and tennis and it took 3 years to hit a par (it was better actually) round - and i practiced alot (school was sacrificed...lol). however i didnt have a coach...

good luck with it though. you going to keep track of it on a website or something?

#23 boonie

boonie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 07:28 AM

"The more I practice the luckier I get" is Gary Player

#24 heckler

heckler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1380 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:17 AM

"The more I practice the luckier I get" is Gary Player

Take your pick

Gary Player
Jerry Barber
Arnold Palmer

It's been attributed to all of them.

#25 jimandr

jimandr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 08:20 AM

Sorry to be one of the doomsayers, but I don't think you can do it. The Project Golfer series in Golf Australia was a good read, and an indicator of how difficult it is to do what you are trying to do.

The main reason why I don't think you can do it is due to your age and life away from the course. Once you get old like me, your learning capacity, and most particularly your ability to put your lessons into practice is lessened. Literally, you are probably too smart to completely and utterly put yourself in the hands of your pro. The temptation will be too great to try something all by yourself, or question the advice you are given.

You will also find it really hard to devote the time you need to the task. Ten hours a week is harder to find than you think it will be, particularly if during some of those hours its raining, cold or windy.

Having said that, there are two scenarios where there is hope. Firstly, if you hit the ball a long way, you already have the clubhead speed, so the basics may already be in place. Secondly, if your main weakness is your short game, that's the easiest to practice, and maybe the potential exists for a really hot round with three chip-ins to get to the magic par.

Anyway, now you have advertised the challenge on ISeekGolf, you are obliged to keep us up to date.

#26 dean

dean

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 810 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:41 AM

I know a guy that went close.

Got the golfing bug and did the following...

Left his job

Left his partner

Sold his unit,moved back with family

Practiced all day,everyday,even with car lights on the practice fwy at night

12 months later he went back to work,hcp was around 4

This bloke was a Vic Park member and I believe now plays at
Jindalee.Tells a few tall tales but apparently this one's close to
the mark. :wink: Was early 20's at the time.

D smile.gif

#27 amanda_wong

amanda_wong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 09:07 PM

I am doing it in conjunction with a teaching pro. She is an ex-tour player (European) so knows a fair bit about it. The program will be very strongly driven by her.

Is it Dennise Hutton by any chance?

#28 miro67

miro67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:12 PM

StoS,

You do not have a hope in h..ll of doing this. But hey I will be interested in watching you fail. biggrin.gif My money, like Mau's, is around the mid teens maybe a bit lower but not single figures. You will get that low if you are a reasonably talented athlete.

To me the difference between a 30 marker and a 15 marker is roughly equivalent to a 15 marker to an 8 marker which is equivalent to 8 marker to a 4 marker which is equivalent to a 4 marker to a 1 marker which is equivalent to a 1 marker to a scratch marker. In other words you will drop quickly at the start but that is completely misleading as to how hard the last part of the journey is.

A scratch golfer is a rare beast, the ones I know have natural aptitude, have played for many years (even the juniors off scratch) and practice a lot more than 10 hours a week.

Good luck and keep us informed! biggrin.gif :!:

#29 3oneday

3oneday

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:28 PM

The guy is hoping to shoot a par round within 12 months, not play off scratch. The question should be, if he were in Sydney, is he trying to shoot a par round at Monash or a more sedate place like say Bardwell Valley (sorry if I offend any members of Bardwell Valley).

So, his question, as pointed by him at some stage recently, is can he shoot a par round in the next 12 months... after my rant :oops: , no.

#30 miro67

miro67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 31 May 2004 - 10:47 PM

Yeah just saw th first backdown to one round of par.

OK so it takes maybe 2 degrees of difficulty out of the quest as I suspect par rounds are not that regular once you carry a handicap greater than 4. Assuming the par round needs to be at a good track (say one of Sydney A grade courses) and preferably off the plates he still has no chance. If the round can be at the local putt putt then he has very little chance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users