• Please log in to reply
449 replies to this topic

#16 Bigred

Bigred

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:20 AM

Look as a netural observer this sounds like a terrible deal for Woodlands members.

A. You get two signiifcantly worse courses which as a Woodlands member would hold zero interest to play.

B All the members from the other 2 courses will gravitate to woodlands thus making an already packed weekend schedule even worse

C At present given Rossdale holds all the cash they are effectively taking over Woodlands

My view is this is a desperate attempt by the club to have there membership wake up and agree to an increase of around $1k pa in membership fees. If the members agreed to that then there is 1m extra pa and the end of there problems.

Edited by Bigred, 01 July 2014 - 07:21 AM.

• voss likes this

#17 Top_Cat

Top_Cat

Top_Cat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2753 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 01 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

Cant see Woodlands merging with anyone. Patto river & Rossdale & Keys would make more sense.

Received an email from Rossdale confirming this deal is being looked at. Rossdale has already said no to a deal with Keysborough because it mean't they would get our course to sell for housing and pay off their debt and the Rossdale members would have to find somewhere else to play because they don't have enough space on their timesheet for us and they thought that was reasonable. So for any deal to work we would have to get something. In the next 5 to 10 years several clubs are going to fall over because it is getting more expensive to operate them and the members won't put their hand in their pocket and the people they are trying to lure want them to discount it even further. When this happens cost of membership will increase and joining fees will be re introduced Try joining a club in the U.S. it costs about the price of a car p.a. for a midrange club.

• StewyGriffin and Flusher69 like this

Hi, my name is Steve & I'm a golfaholic, I even go to the meetings
Melb Southern Suburbs 3195

Australia's most mediocre golfer.

He who rules the short game takes home the gold...Dave Pelz

#18 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

Golf Guy 33   - as a member of Woodlands how do you assess this deal. 

#19 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:35 PM

This is a pretty exciting development I reckon.  The clubs that can bite the bullet now and get something that works could be in the box seat and watch others go t!ts up.

Sadly it would be impossible to get off the ground on our side of town, the clubs would rather take the odds to not being the first to fail and with Sunshine on its knees probably a decent risk to take..

#20 shanker

shanker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:42 PM

thats interesting. membership guys haven't told me this!!

#21 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:26 PM

This is a pretty exciting development I reckon. The clubs that can bite the bullet now and get something that works could be in the box seat and watch others go t!ts up.

Sadly it would be impossible to get off the ground on our side of town, the clubs would rather take the odds to not being the first to fail and with Sunshine on its knees probably a decent risk to take..

You are very keen to tell everyone how bad Sunshine is going, what's your go?

#22 golfguy33

golfguy33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3417 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:15 AM

Golf Guy 33   - as a member of Woodlands how do you assess this deal. 

I think the mix is wrong.

If the falling membership at Rossdale ( 550 odd ? ) continues then it could soon be a fire sale and worth looking at in the future. 

Patriver is also losing its member base, don't know the figures there.

It is inevitable that some clubs will need to merge to survive but what are the right mixes to make these happen ?

Can't wait for the chat on saturday around the club.

Jon...

ps: Btw, Keysborough & Southern are chatting again :)

#23 Top_Cat

Top_Cat

Top_Cat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2753 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:16 AM

If the falling membership at Rossdale ( 550 odd ? ) continues then it could soon be a fire sale and worth looking at in the future. 

It is inevitable that some clubs will need to merge to survive but what are the right mixes to make these happen ?

Jon...

Southern and Keysie won't work Keysie is zoned rural so they can't go high density housing and the owners of the land opposite have been trying to get theirs rezoned for a decade with no luck, something to do with being high flood area and I can't see them selling Southern.

#24 SdoggyK

SdoggyK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 07:15 AM

There is a very large developer well down the track in planning for a shopping Centre on that land you mention across from keysy. They might not get it rezoned for Res but I believe the shopping Centre is well on its way.

#25 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

Big new subdivision up the road from keys so it won't be long , would bet some developers have already knocked on their door

#26 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 10:03 AM

You are very keen to tell everyone how bad Sunshine is going, what's your go?

I think the situation of the club is going from bad to worse.  The club is divided.  The incoming board has a quality helper but pound for pound the board itself will probably be slightly worse than its predecessor.  As a fomrer insider I can say that with the personaltiies involved that it is bloody hard to get tough decisions across the line and even when they do get up sadly they did not always get implemented.

Bear in mind that for some time I have mostly just been a spectator.  I am not actively playing and have been going to the footy instead. 

I have become tired of all the bullsh!t that has gone on and continues to go on.  I am pretty pessimistic about the future, given the oversupply of golf compared to demand a quick death might not be a bad thing on a several fronts ...

#27 Bernie_Larkham

Bernie_Larkham

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2450 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

Southern and Keysie won't work Keysie is zoned rural so they can't go high density housing and the owners of the land opposite have been trying to get theirs rezoned for a decade with no luck, something to do with being high flood area and I can't see them selling Southern.

Zoning can be changed TC and believe me local government authorities are desperate for more revenue. Easiest way to do that is have a stack of new rate payers...

#28 jrg1166

jrg1166

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1359 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

Keysie has a problem with the zine change forthe areas round the 17th and across and this is flagged as Flood prone so ;and would have to be sold with a caveat which would greatly reduce value.

Edited by jrg1166, 02 July 2014 - 01:53 PM.

B Grade Vic OOM Winner 2018

Bad Play Indicator

#29 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I'm optimal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18403 posts
  • LocationHotel Shanker Lazimpat, Kathmandu 44600 Nepal

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

Jon...

Please let us know the mood after the weekend Jon.  Mate and I would join Rossdale or Patt River if it was going to happen and it seems likely it is the Woodlands members who will have the whiphand.  The joining fee at Woodlands is currently a show stopper.  A merger in 2 or 3 years would fit our plans/needs

Shanklink

OOM Tour
I am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide Tour
Winner 2017 Keysborough Invitational

Choppers Tour
Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine
Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#30 Top_Cat

Top_Cat

Top_Cat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2753 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

Please let us know the mood after the weekend Jon.  Mate and I would join Rossdale or Patt River if it was going to happen and it seems likely it is the Woodlands members who will have the whiphand.  The joining fee at Woodlands is currently a show stopper.  A merger in 2 or 3 years would fit our plans/needs

Let me know if you want to join Rossdale currently 7 day $1999 for 1st year and if I introduce you I get extra bucks on my house account.

• StewyGriffin likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users