26 replies to this topic

#16 amanda_wong

amanda_wong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 03:29 AM

Was wondering how long it would take for people to get sick of paying $85 for an average round of golf!

#17 Joe Blake

Joe Blake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2851 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 10:36 AM

$85 is that all?

There are at least 7 here on the gold coast well past that price point, and none of the owners have realised the same thing yet either.

#18 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 14 June 2004 - 08:47 PM

With the Gold Coast prices (and a similar story for the trio up in Cairns/Port Douglas), do they tend to survive because of the greater percentage of sunny weather chasing holiday golfers? in other words, golfers who are less cost-conscious due to being on a holiday they've flown to. It seems to be the Aussie version of Florida. They seem to still get reasonable trade by offering those multi day passes for a few courses a little cheaper.

Down here, a higher percentage of the Mornington Peninsula golfing is by Victorian based day trippers on a regular day off.

I'll bet that the average golfing visitor to the Gold Coast doesn't know how all the courses roughly rank against each other, and doesn't target the specific courses they might want. Many Vics (unlike some of us nerds) can't even name them and wouldn't know one from the other until they'd been up there. One bloke went up to play "the Glades course at Sanctuary Cove and Royal Meadows". They see any 8-10 of them eligible to become one of the final 3-4 they end up playing. Wheras the visitor to down here who plays three games will probably choose at least two of them based carefully on expected course quality and reputation.

#19 Joe Blake

Joe Blake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2851 posts

Posted 15 June 2004 - 03:52 AM

Whether the Gold Coast courses "tend to survive" is a matter for speculation, most have been sold and onsold a few times over. The Glades is one thats doing it real hard right now.

Most of the the clientel that frequent these courses are the holiday makers, typically from the asian market, or those who are so blessed to think nothing of payin $100+ for a round and there is plenty of them.

#20 JIGSAW

JIGSAW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:20 PM

Karana Downs Country Club 24 k's from Brisbane on the river, would be a gold mine with right person. Currrently a tight par 66 with some tinkering could be longer. Ability to attract unctions and corporate clients right on Brisbane/Ipswich corridor without the Brookwater prices. Currently has 700 plus members. Currently under contract however buyer wants to develop into house lots, which will be very difficult given it is zoned sport and rec and has significant natural habitats. Check it out ...

#21 BroKar

BroKar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:36 PM

only a 6 year old thread

#22 SteveyMac

SteveyMac

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 02:57 AM

Karana Downs is a shithole. If it is a goldmine the rest of the courses out that way must be ordinary.

#23 Kiwi

Kiwi

Wholly Awesomeness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24046 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 10:35 PM

Currently has 700 plus members.
Currently under contract however buyer wants to develop into house lots, which will be very difficult given it is zoned sport and rec and has significant natural habitats. Check it out …

you work in the shop or on the mower?

#24 davkat

davkat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

can anyone add the details for St Andrews to this list?

#25 JIGSAW

JIGSAW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:46 AM

Karana Downs is for sale...currently under offer but unlikely the DA will get up...will be cheap,,,sub Million.

#26 JIGSAW

JIGSAW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:51 AM

Your avatar says it all.....its blokes like you that treat little community course like crap. Where do you think juniors play and develop skills if mum and dad can not afford Brookwater etc.... Ok if you dont like the place but more constructive comments are surely warranted. This is what the floods did to KD

#27 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3356 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:22 AM

My info is that Lakelands sold to Clubcorp for $18m. A valuer I knew reckoned the developable land was worth $9m so they paid $9m for the course, range and clubhouse. I wonder what Clubcorp onsold it to the mebers for. I would be surprised if they got the $9m back although I am sure they did allright with the subdivisions. I understand that the original owner (Sunland ?? whatevr) spent well north of $30m on the property.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users