16 replies to this topic

#1 Tillsy

Tillsy

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLakelands WA

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:40 AM

Hi guys I'm currently looking at purchasing a new driver, fairway wood and a hybrid but have worked my self up to a state of complete confusion as to what I should consider right for my game.

I am 166cm short and play with a second hand Callaway razr xtreme fit 10.5 aldila regular shaft with a arthritic grip, bought it off an elderly gent, I usually drive about 180-220 meters but vary between a draw and slice (still getting lessons)

I hit a g25 driver today 9.5 stiff and didn't have much luck but I had just completed a round of 18 holes, I also hit the 3 wood g25 and loved it.

I read many good things about the bio cell range, jetspeed range and Nike covert range but have no idea which would better suit me, I use speed blade regular length and flex irons too if that helps.

#2 bill1978patt

bill1978patt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 06:17 AM

The G25 may not have suited you as it was a stiff shaft. I suggest if you are using Reg now and getting that distance stick with it.

All the clubs you mentioned work just as well as each other, it all just comes down to personal preference, like which one feels easier to hit or hotter of the face.

#3 The Robinator

The Robinator

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3025 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:29 AM

Golfbox is selling a Nike combo at the moment of driver and fairway for under $400.

#4 antz30

antz30

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationQueenslander

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:49 AM

I have a mate with the same issue with the Ping 25 driver and 3 wood.

Loves the 3 wood smashes it a long way

Driver so so meh

When i had a fitting for Ping earlier this year, I had the same feeling in regards to the driver but the Ping Anser driver with the same shaft was a beast wish i bought that. 

At the moment in regards to drivers there are some really good options out there all seem to perform roughly the same comes down to how it feels at address overall weight of the club shaft few other little things.

If you can get yourself to few demo days that would be good try different clubs.

If your member of a club and your on course golf shop has a few demo clubs try them

Same with local shops if they demo`s try them

Driver: Wilsion D100 9 deg Matrix Ozik 45g stiff shaft

Hybrids: 15.5d H1 20.5d H3 Cleveland Classic, Matrix Ozik Xcon stiff shafts

Irons: Mizuno 3-PW MP 4`s blades with NS-Pro 1150gh tour stiff shafts

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX Black Pearl 46,50,54,58 

Putter: Scotty Cameron square back no:2

Ball: Sirxon Z-Star XV yellow

Bag: Mizuno Aerolite stand bag

#5 BigBrazilianMuff

BigBrazilianMuff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1921 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

i did a bit of research before i bought my G15 about 4 years ago...

i borrowed 3 drivers from the pro shop at Melton Valley GC....took them out for a hit and came back with a decision having been made....

since then I have upgraded to a Covert on a whim only to have it knock the g15 out of the bag...

So, the suggestion is, form a shortlist based on internet research and then head out to a course which has an on course golf shop (preferably a friendly pro) and take them out on course....I personally can get any driver to behave when I am able to hit 10 shots back to back at the range, but taking it out on course is the real "test drive"...

• Turfers Paradise likes this

https://www.golf.org...icap/3013405666

--> Captain Shagger <--

- 2019 Kooringal Open Amateur Winner (NETT) 

- 2017 Southern Golf Club Order of Merit Winner

- 2017 Melbourne Corporate Games Bronze Medalist

- 2015 ISG Vic Annual OOM Champion (A-Grade & Overall)

- 2015 ISG Matchplay Championship Runner Up

- 2015 OOM3 Sandhurst B-Grade Winner and Long Drive winner

- 2015 ACGC National Final-  3rd Individual Aggregate,

- 2015 ACGC National Final-  NTP Day 1 Blue Course Hole 2, NTP Day 2 Green Course Hole 7

- 2015 OOM2 Settlers Run Runner Up

- 2015 OOM1 LeFrogge B Grade Long Drive Winner

- 2014 ISG Vic Annual Order of Merit- B Grade Winner and 3rd Overall 

- 2014 Auto Club Golf Championship- Regional Event KGC- Winner

- 2014 ISG Vic OOM#1@ Sanctuary Lakes GC- Winner 

- 2013 AFL Golf Championship @ Yarra Yarra GC- Winner

- 2013 Stink's 3 Club Challenge- Runner Up 

#6 INKY

INKY

Getting laughs somewhere else.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36099 posts
  • LocationOutta here!!!!

Posted 04 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

My first driver buying experience, I was fitted for a shaft, loft and then desired flight.

Brand names had nothing to with.

I ended with a brand I had never heard off, but with results that suited my game.

Choose one that suits you and your game.

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25655 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 04 June 2014 - 12:20 PM

Tillsy, you're supposed to be confused - that's how the manufacturers want you to be.  Just so you'll go out and get something different in 6 months.

Being a short arse, most off-the-shelf clubs will be too long.  They can easily be shortened, but just get fitted.  Then you'll know exactly what you need.

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018
Warragul Country Club C Grade champion 2019

#8 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5810 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:20 PM

Agree with the above

Driver worth getting fitted for - don't think it matters so much for fairways or hybrids

Went through a similar process recently myself - see "Hybrid Suggestions" thread below this one

Would agree that hybrids and fairways are very similar these days - it is largely personal preference and price, all the main makes make good clubs, so just try out as many as you can

http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#9 Tillsy

Tillsy

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLakelands WA

Posted 04 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

Thanks for all the help guys, I had a lesson this morning and also hit 20 balls with a jetspeed, bio cell and ping g25 drivers and ended up deciding on the bio cell range of clubs and moving up to a stiff shaft option as my instructor says I'm not far off and with a bit more work it will suit me better rather than hold me back like a regular flex may.

Swing speed was between 85-90mph and drives where mild fades and mild draws on the monitor at 220-230 yards, the driver was set up at 11.5 degrees draw bias, the fairway wood was great too nice solid hits around 215 yards at 14.5 degrees, the hybrid was a bit harder to hit but I've never hit one before, still got some nice 200 yard hits from it though at 20.5 degrees. Drummond had a $50 off each club deal so I bought all three and got a golf craft target caddie rangefinder all up for $847 now to get out on the course and see how this new found wishful confidence pans out!

Edited by Tillsy, 04 June 2014 - 01:39 PM.

#10 INKY

INKY

Getting laughs somewhere else.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36099 posts
  • LocationOutta here!!!!

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:27 PM

Tillsy...welcome BTW...

Whereabouts are you?

#11 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5810 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

Those are nice clubs and about the right distance for your swing speed I think - though im just a hacker

What colour? (very important decision!)

http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#12 Tillsy

Tillsy

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLakelands WA

Posted 04 June 2014 - 02:57 PM

Im located in Lakelands WA, I usually get out a few times each week and play at meadow springs golf and country club, nicest course I have ever played and its only a 5 minute drive there too.

I had to get the blue colour line of clubs to match the speed blade irons!, I tried a green limited edition bio cell first and hit it well at 10.5 degrees then the instructor handed me my preffered blue colour in 11.5D and I said this one'll go an extra 20 yards for sure, and instantly hit the longest straightest hit of the day!

only 1 hour and 40 mins to go now till tee off, can't wait to get out there.

• Turfers Paradise, Mububban and INKY like this

#13 Spartan52

Spartan52

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1849 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 June 2014 - 05:09 PM

I'm a big fan of loft on your driver, makes it easier to hit straight and the main component of the drive is carry so get the thing airborne higher!!

#14 Tillsy

Tillsy

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLakelands WA

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:44 PM

Well the first 9 hole round is over, clubs did great I was held up by a group of 5 people playing in front, took 3 hours and 50 minutes! Drives are easy now but I used the 3 wood a few times to tee off and hit some rippers after somehow hitting under the ball on the tee with the driver and having it fly straight up and land down on the ladies tee, slow play is terrible, theres no way I can maintain any sort of consistency when I'm  waiting a good 4 or 5 minutes between shots.

• INKY likes this

#15 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9910 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

Go and see a good club fitter, learn your specifications in terms of loft and shaft flex.

If you can go on a launch monitor then you will get spin data on various driver loft and shaft combinations.

this is the key to selecting a driver.

if you select the right specifications your driver will last you a long time.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: g25, bio cell, jetspeed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users