19 replies to this topic

#1 hackin jim

hackin jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:15 PM

I have a mate who will be in Singapore for a few days at the end of June. I've heard this can be a good market for buying golf clubs and other golf gear and was wondering if anyone (Mau biggrin.gif ) knows the best places to check out :?: .

#2 Trung

Trung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:28 PM

Suntec SC is a good place to go, there are about 6 places selling golf gears within 200m of each other. 8)

#3 Trung

Trung

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:29 PM

Another one if on Orchard Road, Far East Shopping Centre. Next to the Hilton Hotel. 8)

#4 speckymagee

speckymagee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:40 PM

Last time I was there about a year ago there were no bargains that I could see. I know the Far East Centre but found prices comparable to Oz. Let me know if I'm incorrect.

#5 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 08:54 PM

FIRST OFF...shopping in singapore for golf gear...DO NOT BUY NIKE golf bags...a huge rip off...IMO... laugh.gif
plus I personally hate hearing the sales staff mention Tiger Woods every 30 secs...but that's just me... :roll:

ok, next to hilton hotel is a small shopping complex...take the escalator up...

three stores...one's transview...sells high end japanese gear like syard, maruman, enas...but u can also get some good priced new clubs like pings, odysseys etc...don't expect to find TM here...

one floor up is Grand Bigwin...best shop in town...IMO of coz... laugh.gif
they're jam packed with crap-to-great gears...some real bargains to be had there!!! SERIOUSLY!!!
just don't get overawed with the huge selection...take your time...I could spend HOURS in there...and they now have an even BIGGER SHOP!!! :mrgreen:
one thing with this mob...is that their prices are EXCLUDING the GST...so don't forget to factor that in to your mental calculation...
look out for apparels stuffed into boxes...good prices...
this mob advertise heavily in the Straits Times, on days like Friday...
great prices/deals on balls, gloves, clubs...keep ur eye out...

word is there is also a second hand mob in this complex...and some of the gears they have (apparently) are as good as demo sets...best to hit this store first to see how much and what's available...

Suntec City...wow...go there just to have a look at the golf shops...
I'm not sure if it's still there, but you REALLY must check out the HONMA shop...that's HUGE...and soooo deserted!!! you;ll know why when u see some of the prices... laugh.gif

Paragon City on Orchard Road...I think there's three retailers there...Winston (Ping, FJ, Liquid Metal), PanWest (titleist, cleveland, callaway, maxfli)...can't remember the other mob...
Only Winston offer an indoor net...

Golf House or Shop in Takashima Building is good for mizuno and wilson and other smaller brands...and they too have an indoor net...

There is another shop in this building...Golf World perhaps...VERY VERY good selection of TMs, TourStage, Precept...and if you go at the right time :wink: great bargains...IMO. Also indoor net available...

ISETAN building (on Orchard Road again 8O ), check out the ISETAN departmental store...they have a huge corner of golf gears...anything and everything is here...(runned by Pan West)...also has an indoor net...but I've never seen so many bags stuffed with so many clubs before...(along with Grand BigWin)...
Tip with this mob is to see and try what you like, and if you're interested in the gear...note down whatever it is, and go over to the Pan West shop in Paragon City (pretty much over the road, opposite Takashima Building)...and get a BETTER PRICE from them...same company...
Department golf stores WILL NOT give u good discounts (if at all)!!! :evil:

other than that, I know there's plenty of 2nd hand shops around the joint...(one in Prince Hotel?) - they're good to get bargains - coz of the asian culture... laugh.gif

BUT...

if the price sounds too good to be true...it IS!!!
beware of the fakes...especially Callaway and S-Yards... :wink:

#6 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:05 PM

Last time I was there about a year ago there were no bargains that I could see. I know the Far East Centre but found prices comparable to Oz. Let me know if I'm incorrect.

you're prob spot on... :wink:
it's just a matter of timing... biggrin.gif

#7 Joe Blake

Joe Blake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2851 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:20 PM

IMHO its a mistake to ask a mate to buy gear for you overseas, you can end up with something thats not right - and consider that every person that goes OS gets bombarded with shopping requests.

#8 hackin jim

hackin jim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 11:19 PM

Thankyou all for the great info, and

Mau

you continue to go above and beyond...huge thanks for your post. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

marktheblake

, it is actually for the guy going not me. He asked the question cause I was there about 6 weeks ago but my time in Singapore was limited to about 4 hours at the airport.

#9 ttitheridge

ttitheridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5492 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 06:05 PM

I'll back this up. Singapore is NO bargain palace. Most consumer goods are either similarly priced or more expensive than here, unless they are fakes. In particular, be careful with DVDs or CDs. Add in taxes and the stricter modern rules on baggage costs etc, and the final price of golf gear doesn't look so good.

For excitement, go to Orchard Road. For good value, stay away from Orchard Road. The working and lower middle class in Singapore will go a decade without spending a cent on Orchard Road. The address adds 20% to the price from areas further west.

#10 jeanmc

jeanmc

Legendary

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12114 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 11:37 PM

For excitement, go to Orchard Road. For good value, stay away from Orchard Road. The working and lower middle class in Singapore will go a decade without spending a cent on Orchard Road. The address adds 20% to the price from areas further west.

yup...but it's soooo much more convenient!!! :wink:

like I say...there's plenty of decent shops around (esp 2nd hands)...if u have the time and plenty of cash for the taxi/bus/mrt fares...then you're allright...if not...suck it in!!! laugh.gif

#11 squidlips21

squidlips21

Suspect

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:38 AM

Can confirm that this is good, bought a burner 3 wood for $145 Australian dollars and ProV1s for $50 per dozen today at the far east shopping centre.....don't go to the far east plaza accidentally....there's an hour of my life I will never get back...nice!!!

#12 Hawkers2015

Hawkers2015

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3358 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:04 AM

You can sometimes score a good bargain but I found in my trips to Singapore that for the most part prices were not fantastically cheap. Some clubs had funny shafts (for asian market I presume) and I was worried about buying fakes. BTW are you trying to compete with sms as a thread miner?

#13 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11269 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 29 January 2012 - 06:22 AM

That has got to be close to being a mining record?

#14 Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Russssssssssssssssssssssss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2952 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

Just got back from Singapore, the latest info is: Far East Shopping Centre next to hilton hotel is a small shopping complex...take the escalator up...and lots of new and second hand stores. ISETAN building (on Orchard Road again 8O ), check out the ISETAN departmental store...they have a medium corner of golf gears...lots off stuff. Singapore is NO bargain palace. Most golf goods are either similarly priced or more expensive than here. Ecco stuff is way more expensive than here. You can find some newer shoes and clothes that are not in Oz.

#15 Malvern

Malvern

Not a Queenslander

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3733 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

That has got to be close to being a mining record?

2011 C Grade Champion Vic ISG Round #4 OOM Keysborough Golf club

VTPP # 0641

Never hapenned before Rob because a search for Singapore golf shops was just as likely to get you a dissertation on the mating habits of the kimodo dragon. Madam by fixing the search has enabled some of these deep dives. I did note the work of JeanMc who could obviously dribble it a treat, "back in the day"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users