Photo

Sydney Here We Come !! Looking To Join Eastlake?

prospective member new club sydney membership

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 epamis

epamis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:55 AM

Played there a few weeks ago and the course was in pretty good condition. The other advantage is they have 3 extra holes so the main holes can be rotated out to let them recover.

The club house is pretty basic - not sure about the food but the beer is always cold.

My only other comment/criticism is that there are some really easy holes (3rd, 10th) and then really hard/impossible holes (8th/17th) so your round can feel like a bit of a roller coaster.

I've only ever walked (and carried my clubs) without too many problems.

#17 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1701 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

I can confirm that we have some fairly strict slowplay policies where groups need to "bundy" at the end of their round. that means time-stamping your card and signing-off with that time. If you're more than 12 minutes out from the previous group, the low handicapper in that group will get a warning. I believe that several warnings can lead to players getting a competition ban. I have not heard of anyone actually being banned (yet).

We also have a marshal doing the rounds on week-end comps

Ok, that actually sounds fair enough to me. When I was there, the guy seemed to imply that if he didn't get the card stamped in time we'd all be getting a two stroke penalty.

Whilst I still think it's over the top, it's by no means as bad as I first thought.

Are you still warned if your round comes in within a certain time though but you are more than 12 minutes behind the group in front? For example, group of 3 in carts in front of you, and you are in a group of 4 walkers which are all high handicappers. That would be really difficult to keep up to that group in front but you could easily still play in under 4 hours.

| GolfLink 

#18 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:16 AM

Ok, that actually sounds fair enough to me. When I was there, the guy seemed to imply that if he didn't get the card stamped in time we'd all be getting a two stroke penalty.

Whilst I still think it's over the top, it's by no means as bad as I first thought.

Are you still warned if your round comes in within a certain time though but you are more than 12 minutes behind the group in front? For example, group of 3 in carts in front of you, and you are in a group of 4 walkers which are all high handicappers. That would be really difficult to keep up to that group in front but you could easily still play in under 4 hours.

i think that the committee can apply some discretion. If you're a walking four-ball behind a two-ball in a cart well it will always be hard to keep up. 

Regarding Epamis' comments about easy /  hard holes I'm a bit on the fence. 

While hole 3 is index 18 and is easy to play it can rack up strokes very quickly. It's a short par 4 (280m) with fairways bunkers catching shots that are not straight. Right and left of the fairways are trees. If you go right into the trees, it will cost you a shot. Left can provide some shots to the green, but not too far left as the OB is actually quite close (I have sent a couple of drives over to Bonnie Dune)

Hole 10 looks deceptively simple but bogeys are a plenty here. Water on the left will leave you with a drop on a very sandy lie. Drive right into the trees and that is a nearly automatic shot dropped. Again if you can hit it straight, yes this hole is fairly easy. It is another short par 4 (320m) but can get tricky. Ask anyone who has overshot the green into that back trap. 

Hole 8 is index 2 and is a fantastic hole. I can't really fault it. 

Hole 17 is index 1 and is the silliest most unfair hole on the course. 210m par 3 to elevated green with no bail-out areas. I have made numerous complaints to the board about this hole. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prospective member, new club, sydney, membership

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users