Photo

Sydney Here We Come !! Looking To Join Eastlake?

prospective member new club sydney membership

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Groome19

Groome19

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

Fellow 'Sydneyites'

I'm moving down to Sydney and looking for an affordable club. Eastlake GC looks to fit what I'm after? Any ideas or recommendations please ?

How would you rank the golf course compared to others in the area? There seems to be a few courses in close proximity. Is it usually in good condition?  Is it a good golfing challenge? How fast are the average competition rounds ?

Also, what is the general social vibe and atmosphere at the club? I'm looking to join with my 14 year old son , my wife doesn't play - but may be enticed ?

Many thanks

Keep it where the mowers go ....

#2 Handicap2hi

Handicap2hi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

I've only played there once so can't offer you much help. Only thing I remember is having to drive the cart across a 4 lane road between two of the holes. Is this still the case? Never seen anything like it!

#3 sydhacker

sydhacker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

Similar to Handicap2hl, I haven't played here in years but the crossing the road can be very hairy at times, 4 lanes of traffic travelling at speed, not ideal!

Depends on your budget I would say as far as other clubs go. I didn't mind Eastlakes but every time I played there the course always seemed a little too soggy, it does sit quite low but that's just what happens.

You are a little spoilt for choice in that area but as I said depends on your budget!

• Groome19 likes this

#4 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:25 AM

Hi Groome, I'm a member at EL and have been for approx 3 years. 

First off: there is no more crossing a 4-lane road! A bridge has been built a couple of years ago. I'll try and address your questions:

moving down to Sydney and looking for an affordable club. Eastlake GC looks to fit what I'm after? Any ideas or recommendations please ?

Yes EL GC is the most affordable Sydney course you will find. However I'd invite you to call other similar clubs in the neighbourhood: Moore Park, The Coast, Randwick GC (a goat's track IMO), Kogarah, possibly St Michaels, and Bonnie Dune next door to El. Although Bonnie did go private last year. 

you will find that most have joining fees ( I beleive that EL do not) and have higher subs. While some tracks are considerably better (thinking of St Michaels and Bonnie Dune), Eastlake is a very good test of golf. In superb conditions. 

How would you rank the golf course compared to others in the area? 

I'd rank it something along the lines of:

1. St Michaels

2. Bonnie Dune

3. EastLake

4. The Coast

5. Kogarah

5. Moore Park (I've never been a fan of this course)

6. Randwick

Of course I may be biased ;) but I have played all of these courses many times. 

Is it usually in good condition? 

This is where EL has a massive advantage. It is nearly ALWAYS in prime condition. At least it has been in the last 2-3 years that a new green keeper came in. he has turned the course around. The big advantage we have is access to a LOT of water, that means that fairways are lush all year round (even in summer when a lot of courses burn up quite a bit). The greens have gotten faster over the years and most being elevated can make for a very touch course when they have been rolled and cut recently. Rough, bunkers and cart paths leave areas for improvement no doubt. 

Is it a good golfing challenge?

yes yes and yes. It definitely is. I've been low-mid single figures for years, currently off 2 and have never shot to par in comp here. While the course is not long, it is relatively tight, and getting into the trees can mean an automatic bogey. There is water in play on most holes and at least 5 have very real OB to take into consideration. Like most courses, there are some cracking holes (6, 8, 9, 13) and some less so, some reachable par 5s, some not. The only gripe I really have with the layout is that the par 3s are generally too hard (from the plates). So yes it is a tough golfing challenge, and friends from the club agree that the h'cap you get at EL is easily exportable to other clubs. 

How fast are the average competition rounds ?

I tend to play early (off before 8) on Saturdays. Because of the early start that means that I'm usually round in 4 hours. While that may sound like a lot it's not bad considering the massive bridge (see above) you have to cross twice!

Also, what is the general social vibe and atmosphere at the club? 

It's good. It's not posh-private and quite down to earth. Like ALL clubs out there, most guys are good guys but you will find the occasional d**khead. members are always up for a beer or two after the round to shoot the ****.

I'm looking to join with my 14 year old son , my wife doesn't play - but may be enticed ?

Not too sure about this, but I know that there are some junior clinics on the week-ends. This tends to be for younger kids. I do think they have a program for juniors, but I'd highly encourage you to call the pro-shop and ask. As for the wife, well my wife was a member there for a while, but to be honest the lady membership is absolutely tiny. In large part it's due to the fact that the course is LOOOOONG to walk (with that damn bridge) and will take it out of you. It is a tough track for the ladies. I don't think they have more than 20 or so lady members there? Unsure.

Anyway,  I couldnt recommend it highly enough if you're a Syndey-Sider. It's very accessible being near Randwick, the best value for money in Sydney, and a great challenge!

Cheers

• Groome19 likes this

#5 LookingToImprove

LookingToImprove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:40 AM

I can only say, if I were still living in Sydney, it would be the course I would join.

I lived in the inner city when there and the course was easy to get too, was a great test, in constant great condition and the value for money was fantastic.

I agree with Max B's assesment earlier and a lot of what he say's is spot on.

Eastlakes is a top choice for mine and I don't think you'd be disapointed.

Edited by LookingToImprove, 07 May 2014 - 09:42 AM.

• Groome19 likes this

#6 Groome19

Groome19

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

Thanks MaxB - you sound as passionate and as engaged in the golf world down in Sydney. I am not a big fan of cart golf and can the course be walked ... I am not concerned with tough walking courses ?

#7 LookingToImprove

LookingToImprove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:44 AM

Thanks MaxB - you sound as passionate and as engaged in the golf world down in Sydney. I am not a big fan of cart golf and can the course be walked ... I am not concerned with tough walking courses ?

Groome, not speaking for MaxB, but yes, the course can be easily walked. 

It's a great track, undulating and you will know you have played golf, but not brutalised. I loved the course.

I'm a walker, not a cart golfer and I did it no problems, having played the course probably a half-dozen times when I lived up in Sydney.

Edited by LookingToImprove, 07 May 2014 - 09:56 AM.

• Groome19 likes this

#8 Groome19

Groome19

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:56 AM

Groome, not speaking for MaxB, but yes, the course can be easily walked. 

It's a great test, undulating and you will know you have played golf, but not brutalised. 

I'm a walker, not a cart golfer and I did it no problems, having played the course probably a half-dozen times when I lived up in Sydney.

Thanks, I don't think golf was originally designed to be played in a cart - but will hopefully use one when I can't walk anymore. What is the split between walkers and carters as an average percentage? Are players encouraged to walk?

#9 LookingToImprove

LookingToImprove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

Ohh mate, couldn't tell you percentages, etc for a consistent basis. MaxB being a member would know more on that first hand, but the times I played there, I saw more walkers than cart riders.

Mate, walking is the best and I love it for the exercise perspective. 

Some great holes on Eastlakes, you won't go wrong.

• Groome19 likes this

#10 Groome19

Groome19

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:01 AM

Silly question - any connection with The Lakes and Eastlake ??

#11 LookingToImprove

LookingToImprove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:04 AM

Only being right next door to one another and working around the same set of 'lakes'.

You see either course from each other with some holes fairly close to one another.

One costs a fortune to become a member, the other doesn't. Both play off the same sand based fairways which are fantastic.

#12 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:30 AM

Definitely more walkers than carters. It's a walkers course. Still we do have some older members (and some younger ones too) that prefer to cart it. I walk approx 95% of the time I play there. As mentioned: you'll feel it! I'd say that at least 75% of comp player will walk. 

Regarding your question on Lakes / Eastlake: yes they are next door to each other and share the "lake" that is in play on both courses. From memory I was told that when The Lakes was built as a private course, the council or land owner (could be Syd Water) agreed to it on the provision that an ajoining public course was also built. That became Eastlake. I'm not sure to how much of this is grounded in reality but it's what I heard. 

#13 Monty85

Monty85

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1707 posts
  • LocationWestern Sydney

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:55 PM

I've played there a few times and as Max has been mentioning the walk is tough, but purely only because of that bridge. It's a long way between holes when you have to cross that thing and it's bloody steep.

Definitely doable though.

I'm not sure if this is still valid (Max may be able to confirm) but when we finished the round the member I was playing with ran off to the pro shop to tell them we'd finished. Apparently they are super strict on not finishing 12 minutes behind the group in front or something like that.

With the 18th hole having OOB right off the tee, I thought that was a bit over the top considering how easy it would be to have to walk back to the tee to reload on that hole.

Other that that, it definitely is a nice and quite challenging course. Just be cautious of the 8th hole with it's couch fairway that will run more than the others.

• Schmuck likes this

| GolfLink 

#14 MaxB

MaxB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

I can confirm that we have some fairly strict slowplay policies where groups need to "bundy" at the end of their round. that means time-stamping your card and signing-off with that time. If you're more than 12 minutes out from the previous group, the low handicapper in that group will get a warning. I believe that several warnings can lead to players getting a competition ban. I have not heard of anyone actually being banned (yet).

We also have a marshal doing the rounds on week-end comps

#15 Handicap2hi

Handicap2hi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 750 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 05:55 PM

Sounds entirely sensible to me. It's nice to see a busy course tackling slow play problems seriously.
Would love to have another hit there one day. I remember the course being in good condition and the 19th being a good old-school clubhouse. It may have been upgraded by now though...was about 10 years ago I played it. Cigars were allowed in the clubhouse back then!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: prospective member, new club, sydney, membership

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users