29 replies to this topic

#16 drgazgiz

drgazgiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3296 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:51 AM

From the perspective of the course itself, why would you pick Huntingdale over Spring Valley?

#17 voss

voss

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1661 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

Hi interesting that you want to leave Spring Valley sighting the lack of practice facilities and social life. I find the practice facilities above average at SV and the course is highly rated as one of the better Tier2 courses in the area.

Being off a handicap of 8 will NOT get you into a Tier1 club. If you were off scratch or better they may entertain an interview.

Socially speaking golf clubs are not really go getters. Most functions revolve around the older set and golf competitions so I don't really see one club 'better' than another.

Good luck for the future but with your time span, age and handicap I would tend to stay at SV and enjoy other courses at will. As you know from your current Pennant experience we have an abundance of great courses in Melbourne.
  • RobNewy likes this

#18 Dhruvc94

Dhruvc94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:52 AM

From the perspective of the course itself, why would you pick Huntingdale over Spring Valley?

Well, by choosing H'dale or Cth i don't mean that SV is a bad course or anything but i just want to play at a place that is up a notch in terms of the course layout, the social aspect and reputation. I haven't seen either of those courses but just from what the rankings and people say about them.

Hi interesting that you want to leave Spring Valley sighting the lack of practice facilities and social life. I find the practice facilities above average at SV and the course is highly rated as one of the better Tier2 courses in the area.

Being off a handicap of 8 will NOT get you into a Tier1 club. If you were off scratch or better they may entertain an interview.

Socially speaking golf clubs are not really go getters. Most functions revolve around the older set and golf competitions so I don't really see one club 'better' than another.

Good luck for the future but with your time span, age and handicap I would tend to stay at SV and enjoy other courses at will. As you know from your current Pennant experience we have an abundance of great courses in Melbourne.

The short game area at SV is pretty decent but the driving range isn't pretty good (no yardages, flags etc.) I understand that tier 1 clubs are hard to get in from what all of you have said but would it make sense to join tier 1b courses and then later progress of tier 1 if game improves?

D94 - just go and make an appointment with both GM's at H'dale and Cth. See which course suits your fancy and feel of the club. A wednesday would be a good day for feel as it is likely to have more people playing the comp. Saturday would be no good as GM's probably not working.

You can see for yourself the facilities and weigh up against each other.

With these two clubs you will also get a sandbelt card so you can play all the other sandbelt clubs (for a fee) that are exceptional. Swap days between the other well known clubs are also a bonus.

I am a member of one of those clubs (and actually left spring valley about 3 years ago!), but you should make your own mind up by visiting them. You say cost is not an issue but if i were you, I would approach on basis of leaving in a few years and see what they offer. Good luck.

Yeah, if they seem interested then i might bring it up that i am only going to be here for a few years and if they could do a deal but seems highly unlikely that are going to do something about it. 

Overall, the main reason for switching is to just go up a notch on the course, the reputation, the social aspect etc. by joining one of these clubs.

I have sent a mail to all but just received a reply from H'dale as of now.

#19 Dhruvc94

Dhruvc94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 25 March 2014 - 08:58 AM

P.S.

This is where i played back home: http://www.dlfgolfresort.com

Just an amazing course, we have lots of asian tour, european tour, LET events which were just amazing given that i got to play in the pro-ams and score for some of the top players.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#20 drgazgiz

drgazgiz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3296 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 09:15 AM

Well, by choosing H'dale or Cth i don't mean that SV is a bad course or anything but i just want to play at a place that is up a notch in terms of the course layout

Well, if I had the choice between the layouts of Spring Valley and Huntingdale, I'd choose Spring Valley. (Commonwealth is better than both.)

Be careful of the 'grass is greener' syndrome. If the biggest failing you can find with Spring Valley is a few markers on the driving range, it's not much. The clubhouse is fantastic.

The cost of changing may be considerable. At least while you're at Monash, the closeness of Spring Valley is a factor.

What are the fees like for students, or under 25s, at other courses?
  • voss and RobNewy like this

#21 Dhruvc94

Dhruvc94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:03 AM

Hi Publish,

Huntingdale fees for a 19 year old is around 2k joining and 1.5k annual subscription fee. 

I also received a reply from Victoria and they want me to send a detailed CV of my background and golf for the manager to go through and thus arrange an interview thereafter. 

#22 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

Contacted Huntingdale and they seem pretty enthusiastic requiring a letter of recommendation to have the president and captain be the proposer and seconder. The fees aren't as high as i expected (not very expensive from Springvalley except the joining fee). 

Also, Huntingdale doesn't have a clubhouse at the moment which might be a bit of a concern. 

How do i contact Royal Melbourne, they don't seem to have any contact link on their website regarding memberships or generally ?

Also from the above listed courses what are your preferences i.e. which ones d you rank higher? 

New clubhouse will be finished by June. The current temporary clubhouse is better than most permanent clubhouses. I saw the fees you quoted, I think you'll find the subs are actually less than that, closer to the $1k up until the age of 22, then a sliding scale each year to the age of 30. Not sure about the entry fee though.

#23 Dhruvc94

Dhruvc94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

New clubhouse will be finished by June. The current temporary clubhouse is better than most permanent clubhouses. I saw the fees you quoted, I think you'll find the subs are actually less than that, closer to the $1k up until the age of 22, then a sliding scale each year to the age of 30. Not sure about the entry fee though.

Are you a member at Huntingdale Drive4Show?

#24 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

Are you a member at Huntingdale Drive4Show?

Yep, sure am.

#25 HackerShack

HackerShack

Suspect

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:52 PM

OP - how did you end up in terms of your membership?

I'm interested, as I recently played a trial round at Spring Valley and the practice facilities looked pretty good. I used the putting green, which is a putting green (no issues here) and also the range down by the 1st which does have distance markers. Not sure about the other one with the shed on the Heatherton Rd entry, and I didn't use the chipping/bunker range. 

I'll probably join here, great track, friendly staff (I played for free as a compliementary trial round) and was offered 70% off the Entrance Fee (I am 32, so no way I'd pay $3850 for a one-off fee). 

#26 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:03 PM

How is the odour from the tip these days?  Nice course The Valley.

#27 rodders70

rodders70

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

I wouldn't worry about the smell (over rated and really only affects 2-3 holes every now and then) but your ability to get on the time sheet and finish a round under 4.5 hours is a serious problem. I left spring valley despite really liking the course and most people due to the above problems. My last two rounds before I left were actually unable to be completed due to the very slow pace and darkness. Keep in mind this happened in a comp and was not even in the last group to hit off!

Also they used to offer instant 7 days access but with a big proviso - members elevated to "real" full membership get time sheet on friday morning and you will get it the following monday. Needless to say, the spots available are slim pickings hence the crappy tee off times.

May have changed but you might be wise to raise this prior to handing coin over.

#28 shanker

shanker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:30 PM

I wouldn't worry about the smell (over rated and really only affects 2-3 holes every now and then) but your ability to get on the time sheet and finish a round under 4.5 hours is a serious problem. I left spring valley despite really liking the course and most people due to the above problems. My last two rounds before I left were actually unable to be completed due to the very slow pace and darkness. Keep in mind this happened in a comp and was not even in the last group to hit off!

Also they used to offer instant 7 days access but with a big proviso - members elevated to "real" full membership get time sheet on friday morning and you will get it the following monday. Needless to say, the spots available are slim pickings hence the crappy tee off times.

May have changed but you might be wise to raise this prior to handing coin over.

thats very naughty isn't it..

where did you move to rodders?

#29 Bogey Golfer

Bogey Golfer

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9782 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

Thanks guys.

What are the waiting list for some of these clubs? I am in Australia for only max. 4 years or so till the time i finish my studies and most likely am not going to be staying here permanently. Which club do you recommend i speak to and not have o wait a year or 2 before becoming a member.

Dhruvc

why not put your name down for our ISG OOM game at sandhurst, (see thread on other page or send me a pm)

. come along to game, meet some of the ISG boys who are members at courses like Long Ilsand, keysborough and others like home of golf at Beaconhills.

through that you will most likely be able to play a range of other courses as guest. then make up your mind from there, at least you will meet soem great guys and play some good courses.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#30 Smiles

Smiles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:09 PM

I was led to believe the tip ceased to exist as of 2016. The smell thing is way overplayed, I'd heard the same thing before I joined and whilst it's gone up the nostrils a couple of times it's a real non-issue. There is a go-kart track and a rifle range over the fence which get a bit noisy on a Sunday afternoon every now and then.

That 7-day access was 'Restricted' which doesn't exist now due to member levels. I can get a game when I want, basically. 

4.5hrs is a fair guide. I've got round in 4 before, I've got round in 5 before. Same everywhere I would think. Only takes one battler to hold everyone up as we know.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Membership

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users