#1 Dhruvc94

Dhruvc94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

Hi all,

I am pretty new to Australia and have been playing here for only about a year or so. I joined Spring valley due to it being the easiest to get into and the course and staff are all pretty good. I play an 8 h'cap currently but used to play 4 back home (left golf for some time and moved countries). 

Its not that i am unhappy with Springvalley but just want to get into a course which has some better facilities and better social circle as well. 

Budget is no constraint but as i am new to this beautiful country, finding proposers and seconders surely is.

I am currently playing in the spring valley colts pennants team and have won many other various tournaments back home including representing my state, school, club etc.

I am extremely dedicated and motivated towards golf and play 5 days a week at least and practise on average 2 hours a day.

I am living in Brighton and studying at Monash currently.

Please help

Best

DC

Edited by Dhruvc94, 24 March 2014 - 11:56 AM.

• CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

#2 RobNewy

RobNewy

Captain Spud

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11277 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 24 March 2014 - 11:59 AM

If you are a gun pennants player you should have no trouble getting into a sandbelt club.
  • Turfers Paradise likes this

#3 Dhruvc94

Dhruvc94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

Not really a gun peanuts player as I'm off 8 right now but pretty decent and improving by leaps and bounds for sure. But how do i approach these clubs as most are likely going to want a proposer (i guess).

#4 pt73

pt73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:03 PM

I suggest you make a list of clubs and make an appointment with each of the GMs, explain you situation and see what they say.

If you're in the 30-40 age bracket or under I'm sure you won't have a problem finding a club.

• RobNewy likes this

#5 Dhruvc94

Dhruvc94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

Hi Pt73,

I'm 19 :)

#6 Dhruvc94

Dhruvc94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

Some of the clubs that i might be interested in would be:

Victoria

Metro

Huntingdale

Commonwealth

Royal Melb

Not in any order.

#7 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25466 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

Yes, contact the General Manager.  He will probably arrange for you to have a game with a couple of the old regulars.  Then, provided they are satisfied that you aren't a wanker, they can propose your membership.

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#8 LookingToImprove

LookingToImprove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

Some of the clubs that i might be interested in would be:

Victoria

Metro

Huntingdale

Commonwealth

Royal Melb

Not in any order.

Hahahaha, half of the Australian golfing population would be 'interested' in joining these clubs also!

Only joking though Dhruvc94, I hope you have success finding a quality club for your golf, enjoy!

P.S: I agree with some of the other fellas comments, contact the respective club's GM's, talk through your situation and I'm sure a positive result can be worked out.

Edited by LookingToImprove, 24 March 2014 - 02:14 PM.

• Francie likes this

#9 Dhruvc94

Dhruvc94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 24 March 2014 - 02:24 PM

Thanks guys.

What are the waiting list for some of these clubs? I am in Australia for only max. 4 years or so till the time i finish my studies and most likely am not going to be staying here permanently. Which club do you recommend i speak to and not have o wait a year or 2 before becoming a member.

#10 Dhruvc94

Dhruvc94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 24 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

Contacted Huntingdale and they seem pretty enthusiastic requiring a letter of recommendation to have the president and captain be the proposer and seconder. The fees aren't as high as i expected (not very expensive from Springvalley except the joining fee). 

Also, Huntingdale doesn't have a clubhouse at the moment which might be a bit of a concern. 

How do i contact Royal Melbourne, they don't seem to have any contact link on their website regarding memberships or generally ?

Also from the above listed courses what are your preferences i.e. which ones d you rank higher? 

#11 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6936 posts
  • Locationbacchus marsh

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:27 PM

Contacted Huntingdale and they seem pretty enthusiastic requiring a letter of recommendation to have the president and captain be the proposer and seconder. The fees aren't as high as i expected (not very expensive from Springvalley except the joining fee). 

Also, Huntingdale doesn't have a clubhouse at the moment which might be a bit of a concern. 

How do i contact Royal Melbourne, they don't seem to have any contact link on their website regarding memberships or generally ?

Also from the above listed courses what are your preferences i.e. which ones d you rank higher? 

Huntindale still have a clubhouse mate, just that they are building a new clubhouse at the moment , and I know they have a temporary one in place as I deliver the grog for them from time to time....

Royal Melbourne why not get on the phone and ring them on (03) 9599 0500  or email them at rmgc@royalmelbourne.com.au

I AM ALWAYS FORCED TO DO SH1T I'M NOT QUALIFIED FOR. LIKE BEING NICE TO BLOODY ID1OTS :P :D

golflink # http://www.golflink....k_no=3040204492

#12 Acheron

Acheron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC

Posted 24 March 2014 - 05:45 PM

Hi Druvc94,

Yes as others have hinted, you pretty much will not get into the "Tier 1A" clubs without proposers, seconders and typically several other members as referees - plus a longish waiting list.  

That includes Royal Melbourne, Victoria, Metropolitan, and Kingston Heath.

Commonwealth is 'easier' (shorter waiting list), but still quite strict on referees/proposers.

The "Tier 1B" clubs are your best option.  Some still have strict requirements, but can be more flexible for younger golfers (i.e. under 25) who are good players or even with good potential.  

So that might include:

Huntingdale (as you have already found out, a very good option);

The National (exceptional, but distance is a problem..);   

Peninsula (membership currently closed pending merger with Kingswood);

Woodlands (great course for developing overall skills);

Yarra Yarra (possibly not a great a course as others, but still quite prestigious and a good course to develop on) 

Other courses in the region are not really going to be a step up from Spring Valley (which itself is a pretty fine club/course by world standards..)

Personally, I'd look into Woodlands, Huntingdale and Commonwealth (no particular order).

Once in there you'll likely have the opportunity to play at the other courses in the region anyway in the Colts, swap days etc..  

Best options, contact the general manager or membership officer and see if they are open to an appointment/chat.

Make the most of it while you can (while your here).

There are not many places in the world with access to courses like ours.

A

#13 Dhruvc94

Dhruvc94

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBrighton

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:31 PM

Hi Druvc94,

Yes as others have hinted, you pretty much will not get into the "Tier 1A" clubs without proposers, seconders and typically several other members as referees - plus a longish waiting list.  

That includes Royal Melbourne, Victoria, Metropolitan, and Kingston Heath.

Commonwealth is 'easier' (shorter waiting list), but still quite strict on referees/proposers.

The "Tier 1B" clubs are your best option.  Some still have strict requirements, but can be more flexible for younger golfers (i.e. under 25) who are good players or even with good potential.  

So that might include:

Huntingdale (as you have already found out, a very good option);

The National (exceptional, but distance is a problem..);   

Peninsula (membership currently closed pending merger with Kingswood);

Woodlands (great course for developing overall skills);

Yarra Yarra (possibly not a great a course as others, but still quite prestigious and a good course to develop on) 

Other courses in the region are not really going to be a step up from Spring Valley (which itself is a pretty fine club/course by world standards..)

Personally, I'd look into Woodlands, Huntingdale and Commonwealth (no particular order).

Once in there you'll likely have the opportunity to play at the other courses in the region anyway in the Colts, swap days etc..  

Best options, contact the general manager or membership officer and see if they are open to an appointment/chat.

Make the most of it while you can (while your here).

There are not many places in the world with access to courses like ours.

A

Hi Acheron,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. I might give a shot to Huntingdale and Commonwealth in that case.

Anybody here who's played both courses and also how are the practise facilities at both of these courses?

Also how are the members at these courses (Friendly? Welcoming? etc.)

One of the main reasons i would like to move from Springvalley is for better practise facilities.

Edited by Dhruvc94, 24 March 2014 - 09:32 PM.

#14 rodders70

rodders70

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:46 PM

D94 - just go and make an appointment with both GM's at H'dale and Cth. See which course suits your fancy and feel of the club. A wednesday would be a good day for feel as it is likely to have more people playing the comp. Saturday would be no good as GM's probably not working.

You can see for yourself the facilities and weigh up against each other.

With these two clubs you will also get a sandbelt card so you can play all the other sandbelt clubs (for a fee) that are exceptional. Swap days between the other well known clubs are also a bonus.

I am a member of one of those clubs (and actually left spring valley about 3 years ago!), but you should make your own mind up by visiting them. You say cost is not an issue but if i were you, I would approach on basis of leaving in a few years and see what they offer. Good luck.

#15 Acheron

Acheron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, VIC

Posted 24 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

Best bet is to contact the clubs, possibly play 18 holes if offered - or else have a game during a charity day or open day.

You can have a look/try the facilities yourself.

Or, you could book in a lesson or two with the resident professional.
That way you can try out the facilities and also get a feeling for the coaching/professional staff as well.

From memory Spring Valley has pretty good facilities already?

The bunker/short-game area was better than many, I don't recall the driving range through.

My recollections of the other courses are:

Woodlands

Good range, although it is in the middle of the course - so you have to wander around between a couple of tees to get to it. Or take a shortcut across 2 fairways.

They have a good teaching 'shed' set up there as well.

Short-game area is a bit small, one bunker. 

2 putting greens, both reasonable size.

Commonwealth (testing my memory a bit here..)

Good wide range but right on the road.

Couple of good short game areas.

1 putting green?

Huntingdale (not sure what is changing with the new clubhouse..)

Range is OK length but narrow - but that probably suits Huntingdale!

Short game area looks good (never used it though)

Big putting green complete with garden and flagpole in the middle - hopefully it's staying there..

Peninsula

Has some of the best facilities around - except for the really top courses.

Really good short-game area and driving range.

But expect membership to be close there for a couple of years perhaps.. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Membership

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users