#16576 pegasus2357

pegasus2357

Visionary

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8792 posts
  • LocationI can see clearly now

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:07 PM

Fark me Mouldy have a look at your birth certificate and check name and date of birth and that might explain why you like a lot of other want to be golfers on here who somedays have a good day out or a couple of holes that like wow or 1 shot out of 8 on a par 5 that actually went where it was supposed to go....
Maybe focusing on a course management strategy that allows you to knock your ball safely around your course in a manner that hopefully alleviates the wtf wtf scores rather than thinking oh wow I just hit 4 irons trying to land that ball beside the pin and each one was 10 mtrs closer than the previous..

Just saying
  • Can Break 80, iRON MiCK and The B T like this

VTTP 006

#16577 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9438 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:41 AM

General objective is to get as close as possible to 10m gaps between everything in my bag from 5w to 60w. Getting damn close from 180 to 110 currently. Then it's about 104 94 76 66. I can add a bit of loft to the DeShampoos to get down to 100 and 90. Grinding a bit of bounce off if necessary.

76 and 66 are my Mizzie T4 SW 56 and LW 60

The getting an extra 4m out of both my Sand Wedge and Lobbie is a vexing question.

YES it is a vexing question, WHY do you need to even try.

Assume these distances for all full swings, which every aspiring single figure golfer (and many others)  also know rarely happens during a round.

The vexing question is WHY are you trying to hit a wedge an exact certain distance, better to learn and accept what each club hits and learn to score with that.

far better to know what each club goes eg approx distances m, these are mine, as measured on trackman.

club                    full                3/4              1/2           1/4

W                       88                 75                65           52

AW                      73                63                56           48

56                       65                58                 50            35

60                        40                40                 32           24

then have all distances covered and you will be more consistent rather than trying to thrash a SW or LW a specified distance.

what about from 60m ? what do you do.? ? 1 club LW (hit perfect) where as I have 3 options

rather than playing around with club lofts, learn different controlled swings to get distances and trajectory control.

if you do you will get to single figures quicker.

Edited by Can Break 80, 06 November 2018 - 06:55 AM.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#16578 BumpunGrind

BumpunGrind

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13412 posts
  • LocationThirteen point twenty-four warning points

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:04 AM

When you talk about the exact distances with your full, 3/4 and half shots, how do you determine when you are hitting precisely that power?
It is just based on feel or are you using the swing speed numbers?

#teamgrank

#theyarenotmypants

#hashtag

#16579 Can Break 80

Can Break 80

metronome

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9438 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:29 AM

When you talk about the exact distances with your full, 3/4 and half shots, how do you determine when you are hitting precisely that power?
It is just based on feel or are you using the swing speed numbers?

bump

given that our wedges are used for control and not distance its always using feel for a swing eg half swing (hip height) distances are averages on tack man.

if take a sw swing to hip height will get  reasonable consistency within 3 to 5m.

exact distance each shot actually delivers depends on wind, height needed, flat green or ridge, up hill, down hill, how good strike, how good the ball is sitting etc..

We are not tour pros so always going to get variation, it knowing what variation is and learn to score with that.

2017 OOM winner at Growling Frog.

2016 A grade winner Moonah legends OOM4.

2015 member of team Vision winners of SGC pennant.

2014 National ISG champion

2014 winner Kooindah waters

2014 winner Magenta shores

2014 first ever hole in 1 in an ISG event, 4th Hole Kooindah waters 19th October

2012 winner of BHIC and gaining a 5 year exemption

#16580 BumpunGrind

BumpunGrind

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13412 posts

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:17 AM

bump

given that our wedges are used for control and not distance its always using feel for a swing eg half swing (hip height) distances are averages on tack man.

if take a sw swing to hip height will get  reasonable consistency within 3 to 5m.

exact distance each shot actually delivers depends on wind, height needed, flat green or ridge, up hill, down hill, how good strike, how good the ball is sitting etc..

We are not tour pros so always going to get variation, it knowing what variation is and learn to score with that.

I think that answers my question more, rather than talking about power, you're referring to the length of your swing for full, 3/4, half and so on. 

my question came from my experience on Sunday playing in the nice and hot temperatures, by the time we'd walked through 16 holes my arms and swing was starting to feel very tired and laboured and that 'feel' was completely different to how it 'felt' earlier on. I am sure that could be related to how your swing feels hitting off on the first hole in middle of June.

I just don't think that anyone on any given day can confidently say that they know the exact distances with any particular club based on looking to hit the ball based on 'feel' as your 3/4 swing 'feel' will vary so much day to day and month to month 

• Forrest Gardener likes this

#teamgrank

#theyarenotmypants

#hashtag

#16581 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I'm optimal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18339 posts
  • LocationHotel Shanker Lazimpat, Kathmandu 44600 Nepal

Posted 07 November 2018 - 07:58 AM

Assume these distances for all full swings, which every aspiring single figure golfer (and many others)  also know rarely happens during a round.

The vexing question is WHY are you trying to hit a wedge an exact certain distance, better to learn and accept what each club hits and learn to score with that.

far better to know what each club goes eg approx distances m, these are mine, as measured on trackman.

club                    full                3/4              1/2           1/4
W                       88                 75                65           52
AW                      73                63                56           48
56                       65                58                 50            35
60                        40                40                 32           24

then have all distances covered and you will be more consistent rather than trying to thrash a SW or LW a specified distance.

what about from 60m ? what do you do.? ? 1 club LW (hit perfect) where as I have 3 options

rather than playing around with club lofts, learn different controlled swings to get distances and trajectory control.

if you do you will get to single figures quicker.

Huge gap between 88 and 75 which is very similar to my problem.

For me a 1/2 swing 56w gets me 65m and a 1/2 swing 60w gets around 57

When I get a good number I go very well as I have confidence. When I get my worst number around 84m I'm in shanking, chunking, thinning country. If this happens on 7 at Keysie I'm in real trouble. I'm either going to run back off the front or run through the back. I can't afford a huge gap between clubs to start with.

Hence my get the gaps right and then work on taking some off.

What do you do when 82m out on my 7th ?
Shanklink

OOM Tour
I am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide Tour
Winner 2017 Keysborough Invitational

Choppers Tour
Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine
Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#16582 BumpunGrind

BumpunGrind

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13412 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:21 AM

When I get a good number I go very well as I have confidence. When I get my worst number around 84m I'm in shanking, chunking, thinning country. If this happens on 7 at Keysie I'm in real trouble. I'm either going to run back off the front or run through the back. I can't afford a huge gap between clubs to start with.

are there only 4 swing power/length options with any wedge?

or can there be some leeway between a full and 3/4? 

can there be a 13/16th swing maybe?

#teamgrank

#theyarenotmypants

#hashtag

#16583 BumpunGrind

BumpunGrind

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13412 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:32 AM

do you have any Trackman lengths for your full, 3/4 and half knock-down shots too?
where do they sit within your normal swing distances?

so many questions, so many unanswered questions

#teamgrank

#theyarenotmypants

#hashtag

#16584 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5905 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:42 AM

I've got much bigger gaps in my wedges than you because I've only got 3. PW is 110, SW is 90 and LW is 70 if I hit them with full shots properly. 5m off each of those distances is perfect as I can just swing smoothly at it and I have much more control of the spin. Gripped down PW is 100, 3/4 knockdown is 95m. 

If I was 82m out I would hit a gripped down SW providing I had a flat lie and there was no wind. 

I need 3 shots with each club wedge to give me pretty good control of my distances. I don't see how you have trouble doing that when you have more wedges and smaller gaps, you would really only need a gripped down shot to get it reasonably close. 

#16585 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24878 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:48 AM

are there only 4 swing power/length options with any wedge?

or can there be some leeway between a full and 3/4? 

can there be a 13/16th swing maybe?

Is that Whitworth or AF ?

I use my PW for most shots around the green.  It's all about feel.

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#16586 BumpunGrind

BumpunGrind

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13412 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:56 AM

Is that Whitworth or AF ?

I use my PW for most shots around the green.  It's all about feel.

umm, yes and thank you for your valued contribution 

and you won't find an 13/16th BSW sized anything, but you knew that 

#teamgrank

#theyarenotmypants

#hashtag

#16587 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24878 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:35 PM

and you won't find an 13/16th BSW sized anything, but you knew that 

I just had to go and have a look, didn't I?

I've got a socket of that size (13/16 AF) - for spark plugs.  Doesn't get much use these days.

But not everything is metric.

Edited by OldBogey, 07 November 2018 - 12:35 PM.

Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#16588 *Mouldy

*Mouldy

I'm optimal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18339 posts
  • LocationHotel Shanker Lazimpat, Kathmandu 44600 Nepal

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:01 PM

I've got much bigger gaps in my wedges than you because I've only got 3. PW is 110, SW is 90 and LW is 70 if I hit them with full shots properly. 5m off each of those distances is perfect as I can just swing smoothly at it and I have much more control of the spin. Gripped down PW is 100, 3/4 knockdown is 95m. 
If I was 82m out I would hit a gripped down SW providing I had a flat lie and there was no wind. 
I need 3 shots with each club wedge to give me pretty good control of my distances. I don't see how you have trouble doing that when you have more wedges and smaller gaps, you would really only need a gripped down shot to get it reasonably close.

Gripping down just doesn't seem to work for me. I can only surmise that I swing a bit faster than normal and don't get much if any drop in distance.

I can take off 10m by simply playing with my feet together but can't get 5 or 15m

Looking like I might have to do some serious knockdown practice and hope it gives me 15m off.
Shanklink

OOM Tour
I am mid table mediocrity !

National Tour
2017 Day 1 winner at Monash CC

Baconwide Tour
Winner 2017 Keysborough Invitational

Choppers Tour
Winner 2014 Ghetto's Placegetter Challenge at Sunshine
Winner 2015 Airy's invitational at Melbourne Airport<p>

#16589 Itchy4Scratch

Itchy4Scratch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5905 posts
  • LocationSE Melbourne

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:10 PM

Gripping down just doesn't seem to work for me. I can only surmise that I swing a bit faster than normal and don't get much if any drop in distance.

I can take off 10m by simply playing with my feet together but can't get 5 or 15m

Looking like I might have to do some serious knockdown practice and hope it gives me 15m off.

Other option to look at is opening the face and stance but I prefer the grip down shot most of the time, it's more consistent.  

#16590 BumpunGrind

BumpunGrind

Year of the Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13412 posts

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:47 PM

I am still interested to know how anyone at our level can do the same 3/4 swing each and every time to get exact distances.

I would challenge anyone here to hit 5 balls at a target over 60m away and have any of them land and sit within a few metres of each other

• Commish and Weetbix like this

#teamgrank

#theyarenotmypants

#hashtag

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users