There is a blog on golf depression.

#62 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 7733 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

Are there different levels of depression? ie Depression that is "normal" which humans have generally and can usually manage, then a level of depression where its starts getting to become a serious illness? Is there a scale?

Levels yes...but not measured in numbers persay.

Depression affects everyone differently.

When does depression move from "normal" to a serious illness?

#63 Kannis

Kannis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSydney NSW

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

How do people suffering with depression cope with golf? I would have thought that our game could be a cause of depression in some people. Being married to a golfer may tip some people over the edge.

Complete opposite for me. When I hit the course everything goes back to normal and I feel great.

Edited by Kannis, 25 February 2014 - 08:16 AM.

• Gilbert Grape likes this

#64 Tolmij

Tolmij

Just enjoying life

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27257 posts
  • LocationHere in paradise

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:27 PM

Complete opposite for me. When I hit the course everything goes back to normal and I feel great.

When I hit the golf course it normally finishes with a bent club and frustration :lol:
  • Kannis likes this
Intended to break 90 this year, not going well.

Concentrating just getting round the course

#65 Jaybam

Jaybam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1918 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

Me too. I find that with morning golf I love it as I feel my best in the morning but if I have to wait for an afternoon tee time I won't bother because I find myself feeling very blah about it and lack motivation. I have been a medicated depression sufferer for six years now. One of the first things I changed was my job but I was too far gone to just work through it. I have a fantastic wife and kids and now am in a work environment I love with a great job. I tried to come off the medicine and lasted about 12 months but started falling back into my old state of mind. I don't know why. I have since gone back to the pills and lead a happier and more normal life whilst on them.
  • TheTrueReview, Tolmij and Gilbert Grape like this

#66 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5943 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

If one suffers from depression what is normal on the golf course?

#67 Tochakka

Tochakka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3224 posts
  • LocationIn the pines in the pines where the sun don't shine

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

If one suffers from depression what is normal on the golf course?

Normal ... Gee that's hard but for me it's playing the game and not losing the plot and swearing and blaming any and every thing when I am having a bad day. If I am playing well the buzz from playing well is enough to keep me going but if I am playing badly and it's not just golf that is the issue then I feel like giving it away and find reasons to not play.
Would I go and play if I was down and the black dog had me in his grasp? Probably not.
For some with depression the black dog keeps nipping at our heels.

#68 dave_1_

dave_1_

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 7733 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

If you had to lay for living I coils see how it could make people depressed if you relied on the live

There I no one causal factor in depression and likewise there is no one cure or fix

Medication can assist but if diagnosed incorrectly it can hinder or even Cause more depression

Some things I do know that work

Start getting outside more, often people experiencing depression will hide away from the world ....a simple walk each day can start the recovery process

Change your diet ...you are what you eat

Get support around you or hopefully your friends and family can see it and offer it also.

Get counselling to deal with your past, present and further planning - now there is many different types of counsellors .....the one thing that matters and this might sound odd but it's the one criteria we work by ......you must connect with the person whom is doing the counselling ....forget how many PhDs they have on the wall...it might be a guy straight out of uni who is the right guy or girl for you.

It might be a guy in his 70's with no degree.........

Ok what can you do without therapy .....yes there is heaps

Start a new project or try a course ...this alters our state of mind naturally ...it's gets us excited ....this excites the mind

What we do know is dopamine is needed to make us feel good ...when we don't get enough dopamine it's very hard to be happy

There are physical reason in the brain that can stop it also..... Acquired brain injury .....fetal aclohol syndrome ...drugs can cause damage to the brain ...you may not get depressed for a long time or at all....it might be two days later

Concussion also can cause physical parts of the brain to not work as well

What we now know is 1 in 3 people will experience depression in their lives at some point in their

The other thing I was talking about the other day is people having depression and not knowing it ....yet they display other behaviours to mask it

Drinking, anger, distancing ourselves from family and taking risks are all signs

Get help people ....and there is no shame in getting help. Talk about depression also at the photocopier or water cooler too.

Facebook, tweet it and just send the message that there is no shame in it

In fact the shame people feel can actually cause more problems than the depression itself

#69 Kannis

Kannis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationSydney NSW

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

Me too. I find that with morning golf I love it as I feel my best in the morning but if I have to wait for an afternoon tee time I won't bother because I find myself feeling very blah about it and lack motivation. I have been a medicated depression sufferer for six years now. One of the first things I changed was my job but I was too far gone to just work through it. I have a fantastic wife and kids and now am in a work environment I love with a great job. I tried to come off the medicine and lasted about 12 months but started falling back into my old state of mind. I don't know why. I have since gone back to the pills and lead a happier and more normal life whilst on them.

Mate I know exactly what you mean. My job is also a contributor which I need to do something about and I know this pattern of falling back into the old state of mind all to well.

I decided last year to stop all forms of meds which first started 2 years ago with self medicating (Alcohol + Pain Meds) then moved onto proper stuff from a shrink, doing well without that stuff now, just keeping my sanity in check with the odd game here and there to lift my mood. Seems to be working well :)

Edited by Kannis, 26 February 2014 - 12:24 PM.

• Tolmij, Gilbert Grape and Jaybam like this

#70 Jaybam

Jaybam

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1918 posts
  • LocationBrisbane

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Mate I know exactly what you mean. My job is also a contributor which I need to do something about and I know this pattern of falling back into the old state of mind all to well.

I decided last year to stop all forms of meds which first started 2 years ago with self medicating (Alcohol + Pain Meds) then moved onto proper stuff from a shrink, doing well without that stuff now, just keeping my sanity in check with the odd game here and there to lift my mood.

Well done. When you realise how much time you spend at work what's the point in doing it if your always misserable. You get into a comfort zone with your job after a while and just go through the motions. Hard thing to leave 10 years of one job but glad I did. Good luck.

#71 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14696 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

How do people suffering with depression cope with golf? I would have thought that our game could be a cause of depression in some people. Being married to a golfer may tip some people over the edge.

I know your comment is more than likely a light hearted post Igg, but I used to play golf quite a bit, then in the ealy 2000's I just stopped and didn't play much at all, maybe a couple of times a year.  Could not be bothered, too much trouble, gotta talk to people I don't know, why would I want to hit a little white ball and walk after it?  This was before I realised that I was in the throws of depression. 

A lot of other things changed in my life as well, none of them all that good.  Then at work one day in the middle of being mind numbingly bored, (instead of doing what I was being paid for) I stumbled across this site.  For whatever reason, I got ensconced in the trials and tribulations of dozens of mystery men & women who spoke generally about golf and lots of other sh1t as well.  All with anonymity.  I loved it.  I lurked for a while and then started posting in mid 2007 and been around ever since.

What changed in me at that time was by being an unknown among any number of other unknowns, I began to feel that I had a place that was removed from reality.  It was a safe place to go, where noone cared less.  they could put **** on you and you could do the same with free abandon.  OR, yu could choose to have very profound conversations.  Choice was mine and nobody knew or cared who I was.  Slowly I thought, these people are ones that I felt I could meet and possibly enjoy a round with, who will not ask too many questions, don't really care what my background is and just be people I can associate on a very social basis and walk away from at the end of a round.

This, originally through the NCCSSC days was the beginning for me of coming back from what was later diagnosed as  'Major Depressive Disorder with Random acts and thoughts of harm".  After diognosis and commencement of treatment, combined with what was being offered by my family, understanding and irrevocable love, I started to play a bit more often.  It also renewed a relationship that had become somewhat distant with my son who know is my constant golfing buddy.  The golf course to me now, although the game can be as frustrating as all crap, is a place that I can just once again walk along (or cart) enjoying being with friends and dare I say it, even enjoying the company of others that I have never met before.  Something that would definitely have not happened pre 2007.  It is now a place of solace, with nobody to judge you other than yourself and after having judged yourself to hell and back, having a round of golf is a breeze. 

I suppose like most things that surround the term 'Depression', nothing is similar, but everything is the same.  Me being able to interact with people I did not know extremely well was a big stepping stone for me.  I suppose I could say that through those that I had conversations with originally as just a name on a forum helped me to gain some form of belonging again.  After meeting and playing with a few of the guys at NCCSSC days, that just moved it along another couple of pegs.  Getting back to having a life with my family and getting the father/son bond back was major.  Reigniting friendships with old mates followed and today I am a much happier man.  Have tackled the demons and locked them in a cupboard.  Been off the meds for around 6 mths now and hope to reamian that way. 

Golf has helped me immensely and through all those that I have met personally through the NCCSSC days, the National Champs and through a couple of other meet up comp rounds, I truly class you all as brothers.  (With a sister or two thrown in)  For those that I have not met as yet, I would hope to call you the same in good time.  In the mean time, I am happy and proud to call you all FRIENDS...

• Bully_BushRanger, BumpunGrind, CaNadiAn MiCk and 8 others like this

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
2018 ISG National Champs Top 10 Finish & 4BBB Champion with Weetie.  

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

#teamgrank devotee

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

#72 Fill the Dill

Fill the Dill

Mong

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20821 posts
  • Location#teamgrank

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:52 PM

I know your comment is more than likely a light hearted post Igg, but I used to play golf quite a bit, then in the ealy 2000's I just stopped and didn't play much at all, maybe a couple of times a year.  Could not be bothered, too much trouble, gotta talk to people I don't know, why would I want to hit a little white ball and walk after it?  This was before I realised that I was in the throws of depression. 

A lot of other things changed in my life as well, none of them all that good.  Then at work one day in the middle of being mind numbingly bored, (instead of doing what I was being paid for) I stumbled across this site.  For whatever reason, I got ensconced in the trials and tribulations of dozens of mystery men & women who spoke generally about golf and lots of other sh1t as well.  All with anonymity.  I loved it.  I lurked for a while and then started posting in mid 2007 and been around ever since.

What changed in me at that time was by being an unknown among any number of other unknowns, I began to feel that I had a place that was removed from reality.  It was a safe place to go, where noone cared less.  they could put **** on you and you could do the same with free abandon.  OR, yu could choose to have very profound conversations.  Choice was mine and nobody knew or cared who I was.  Slowly I thought, these people are ones that I felt I could meet and possibly enjoy a round with, who will not ask too many questions, don't really care what my background is and just be people I can associate on a very social basis and walk away from at the end of a round.

This, originally through the NCCSSC days was the beginning for me of coming back from what was later diagnosed as  'Major Depressive Disorder with Random acts and thoughts of harm".  After diognosis and commencement of treatment, combined with what was being offered by my family, understanding and irrevocable love, I started to play a bit more often.  It also renewed a relationship that had become somewhat distant with my son who know is my constant golfing buddy.  The golf course to me now, although the game can be as frustrating as all crap, is a place that I can just once again walk along (or cart) enjoying being with friends and dare I say it, even enjoying the company of others that I have never met before.  Something that would definitely have not happened pre 2007.  It is now a place of solace, with nobody to judge you other than yourself and after having judged yourself to hell and back, having a round of golf is a breeze. 

I suppose like most things that surround the term 'Depression', nothing is similar, but everything is the same.  Me being able to interact with people I did not know extremely well was a big stepping stone for me.  I suppose I could say that through those that I had conversations with originally as just a name on a forum helped me to gain some form of belonging again.  After meeting and playing with a few of the guys at NCCSSC days, that just moved it along another couple of pegs.  Getting back to having a life with my family and getting the father/son bond back was major.  Reigniting friendships with old mates followed and today I am a much happier man.  Have tackled the demons and locked them in a cupboard.  Been off the meds for around 6 mths now and hope to reamian that way. 

Golf has helped me immensely and through all those that I have met personally through the NCCSSC days, the National Champs and through a couple of other meet up comp rounds, I truly class you all as brothers.  (With a sister or two thrown in)  For those that I have not met as yet, I would hope to call you the same in good time.  In the mean time, I am happy and proud to call you all FRIENDS...

Awesome post Commish.

Honoured to call you a friend! :)
  • Francie and Schmuck like this

#73 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 42897 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

Wow! Inside I know that those who say online relationships are not meaningful are not right but now I understand why better.

Great stuff Commish. Powerful stuff.
  • CaNadiAn MiCk likes this

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#74 Old Poppy

Old Poppy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5943 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Hey Commish, I have been around golf for a very long time and have seen some tragic things happen to people because they have not been able to cope with the game, its people and its politics. It can be a nasty, cruel game for some people. For others such as myself it is a terrific hobby.

#75 Commish

Commish

No Rhyme Nor Reason

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14696 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

Hey Commish, I have been around golf for a very long time and have seen some tragic things happen to people because they have not been able to cope with the game, its people and its politics. It can be a nasty, cruel game for some people. For others such as myself it is a terrific hobby.

Don't know you personally Igg, but some of the posts (majority actually) indicate exactly what you have outlined in the post above.  You have been around golf for a while and obviously at a very high level.  I can only imagine at that level, then yeah the pressures are greater and yes when ones self esteem and confidence can suffer wild extremes.  I have a mate that I play with on occassions (some on here know of him) who you would swear is prepared to neck himself by the 4th or 5th hole.  Instead he just swears his way around the course, making the commitment to never play this f ucking game again.  Well not until next time anyway.  Please don't think for a minute that I was having a dig at you when I quoted your earlier post, as I can assure you I wasn't.  It gave me the opportunity to say something I wanted known and it gave me the perfect in.  It is amazing how uplifting it can be to actually talk openly about things that you held very close to your chest for so long.  Generally to ones own detriment.

Other than that, Maxxon reckons you're not a bad bloke :D  :D so that just reinforces my own thoughts. ;)

• CaNadiAn MiCk, Tolmij, Weetbix and 1 other like this

The key to success is to learn to do something right, then do it right every time. Oh I wish.....
Three time winner of the treasured WBT.
2012 ISG National Champs 2nd Round winner @ Robina Woods
2013 ISG National Champs 1st Round winner @ 'The Dunes'
2014 ISG National Champs - Top 10 finish - Played like a girl - MUNT GOLFER
2015 ISG National Champs - Deservedly crowned the National N.A.G.A.
2016 ISG National Champs 4BBB champion with Francie
2017 ISG National Champs - I was there and the only thing that saved me was more BEER.
2018 ISG National Champs Top 10 Finish & 4BBB Champion with Weetie.  

Hole in One - Rosnay GC, 157 metre Par 3 - 27th February 2015

#teamgrank devotee

http://www.golflink....k_no=2030804409

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users