70 replies to this topic

#1 jayleeau

jayleeau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hey guys, I live in Oakleigh so I am surrounded by golf clubs but none of them I can really join lol.

My mate and I was wanting to get recommendations for a golf club membership around the east / south east suburbs of Melbourne.

I was leaning towards the Eastern Golf Club but decided to consider other options.

Things I am looking for :

• Private
  • Not too far (hopefully within 30 minutes from Oakleigh and Blackburn)
  • $0 or not too high joining fee
  • Annual fees in the range of $1300 - $1700 for 6 day, $1700 to $2300 for 7 day?
  • Option to pay annual feels in installments 
  • Above average course and clubhouse
  • Good atmosphere 
  • Option to invite guests 

Also looking at good introductory/trial memberships as well.

Basically, we are looking for something like Eastern that isn't Eastern :)

We are both 29 this year.

It would be awesome if you could recommend some good ones.

Edited by jayleeau, 28 January 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#2 OldBogey

OldBogey

Defining and analysing humour is a pastime of humourless people

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25116 posts
  • LocationRegional Victoria

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

Where's Wasa with his Beacy Hills?
  • Francie likes this
Golflink
Olinda Golf Club
Warragul Country Club
People say that nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.
West Gippsland Veterans Champion 2017 & 2018
Olinda Golf Club B Grade champion 2018

#3 jacko57

jacko57

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

It's a buyer's market these days, other than the leading sandbelt clubs. Don't be afraid to check out a few courses, ask what they can offer. Even if you don't know members there, if you're keen, and they're keen enough, chances are they'll arrange for you to have a game so you can check out the course (and they can check you out, too).

• SdoggyK likes this

#4 Casualgolfer

Casualgolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:54 PM

What about Gardiners Run as an option until the new Eastern opens.

#5 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6918 posts
  • Locationbacchus marsh

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:58 PM

why not southern golf club or keysbourough golf club

both these courses are reasonable and goood golf courses to play

I AM ALWAYS FORCED TO DO SH1T I'M NOT QUALIFIED FOR. LIKE BEING NICE TO BLOODY ID1OTS :P :D

golflink # http://www.golflink....k_no=3040204492

#6 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:27 PM

brewick beacon hills and emerald are well under the prices you quote for 7 day membership and all would be fairly accommodating with most of your requests and as far as I know have no joining fee you could also look around rowville , there is Kingston, wellington , Churchill and Waterford

#7 917Stark

917Stark

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:31 PM

Patterson river gc might fit your criteria.

#8 Flusher69

Flusher69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • LocationDeep in the woods looking for my ball

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

Long Island
Cranbourne
Keysborough
Gardiners run
Southern

All of these are pretty much what your after and as others have mentioned its a buyers marked with most clubs offering deals,for new members with new clubs or club credit and the like.

Gardiners run is a new course and from all accounts is going to be a ripper however it may have reached its cap for new members (not 100% on this tho)
Winner of Bmans Bendigo Bash With Scratch64 2013
Lowest of the stick at heritage OOM with 79 June 2014

#9 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4352 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:30 PM

Jay, do yourself a favor and get down for a round at beacon hills. 27 hole championship golf course set in the wondrous surrounds of upper beaconsfield, it tops the must play list year in and out of melb golfing fraternity if the list of social clubs queuing up to book are any guide.
Comp tues thurs sat and Sunday and a rich club culture that welcomes one and all. With 12 month member ship at around 1200 and no joining fee. It's the best value in melb, bar none.

#10 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:31 PM

**** you are really chosen a bad place to live.  Oakleigh must be hell if you like golf but cant get into a sandbelt club.

Why is the sandbelt out of reach - money or contacts?  Shave, put on a nice shirt and go to speak to commonwealth or yarra yarra

#11 Drive4Show

Drive4Show

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2825 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

**** you are really chosen a bad place to live.  Oakleigh must be hell if you like golf but cant get into a sandbelt club.

Why is the sandbelt out of reach - money or contacts?  Shave, put on a nice shirt and go to speak to commonwealth or yarra yarra

You won't get past the front desk if you don't know a member. And Commonwealth are back to full after a recent membership drive for under 40s.

#12 WasabiPea_Shooter

WasabiPea_Shooter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4352 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:35 PM

Good luck joining there for less than 2k

#13 ozdevil

ozdevil

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6918 posts
  • Locationbacchus marsh

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:42 PM

the coin could be a big factor for  many of people as to why they can not join sandbelt courses....

people shouldn't have to go go into debt to join such prestigious clubs, even though one would like too

Northerner you maybe well of enough to be able to afford such pleasures of a private club in the sandbelt region.

but someone looking to be able to pay by the month or instalmants wouldn't seem likely they can afford to be part of a club  like those on the sandbelt

I know personally I wouldn't be able to afford and I am not about to let my partner in life go with out either just so I can fulfil my ambition  to be a member of a sandbelt club

cheers

OZ

• Joe79 likes this
I AM ALWAYS FORCED TO DO SH1T I'M NOT QUALIFIED FOR. LIKE BEING NICE TO BLOODY ID1OTS :P :D

golflink # http://www.golflink....k_no=3040204492

#14 northerner

northerner

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

Give up smoking?

#15 RJP9.4

RJP9.4

rjp7.9

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3223 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

am not sure I want to join a "sand belt club" can't really justify the cost the condition of Yarra yarra when I played it last year was great the greens were great but 20k or whatever it is to join isn't my style even if I had that sort of money I don't think I would join .

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: membership, eastern, melbourne, southeast, east, member, oakleigh, blackburn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users