#1126 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5810 posts
  • LocationProbably at work

Posted 25 October 2019 - 03:50 PM

I do appear to have eliminated the slice. Misses of the tee were pushes or draws/hooks today. Mostly only just off line and recoverable.
Need to work on
Putting. Always
70-120m approaches. I’m getting the distance better but too often 15-20m left or right.
More consistency in the long game. I thought I had this after last range sessions but apparently not.
Bother.
  • Dellavedova777 likes this
http://www.golf.org....icap/4070201550
What can possibly go wrong?

#1127 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5810 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:10 PM

2 man Ambrose at Tallai. Never played there before. It’s a tough country par 3 track. Greens were a bit shaggy and slow and often had huge slopes. Accuracy off the tee critical. Off line esp to the right and you are often rolling rolling rolling 50-100 m down the hill.
Only about 50% Gir.
A couple of pushes but basically too many hooks.
Putting was ok. Left some short but they were slow and bumpy.
Great day. Very hot walk even though par 3 course because lots of steep inclines and no shade. No prizes.
I know what I have to work on. Hitting out to the right. I’m just paying lip service to it on the course.
Hit enough good shots to keep going though 😊
  • xrman1954 likes this

#1128 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:29 PM

Toph how are you closing the club face during the down swing/ through swing?

I watched a Mike Melaska YouTube video where he discussed the flap of the wrists motions versus the rolling of the forearms to close the club face. Steve Pratt also has a YouTube video on this subject too.

The jist of the videos was relying on a strong grip/ forearm rotation is hard to get the timing right. Too slow = a push because the club face is still open at impact. Too fast and the club face is closed at impact= hook. 

MM prefers the  wrist flap motion ( like a baseball hit motion) as being easier to control.

Edited by xrman1954, 27 October 2019 - 04:31 PM.

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#1129 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:37 PM

here is the link  for t he MM video

https://www.youtube....h?v=35me0WITwSw

I can spell reasonably well, even if in American at times. I cannot type well , so please look for the key I intended to use within one key of the strange one I used.

#1130 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5810 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 04:53 PM

Toph how are you closing the club face during the down swing/ through swing?

I watched a Mike Melaska YouTube video where he discussed the flap of the wrists motions versus the rolling of the forearms to close the club face. Steve Pratt also has a YouTube video on this subject too.

The jist of the videos was relying on a strong grip/ forearm rotation is hard to get the timing right. Too slow = a push because the club face is still open at impact. Too fast and the club face is closed at impact= hook.

MM prefers the wrist flap motion ( like a baseball hit motion) as being easier to control.

Hmm. Very good question and one I have pondered. Well it’s all a bit relative isn’t it. I’m trying to get relatively more rotation. If I just try the slap without rotation I tend to an open club face and a horrible push fade slice. And no distance. I lose 10-20 m off every club. I’m just not good at it. So I need to get more rotation and an in to out swing according to my pro. Whether I have a true forearm release or not I’m not sure. I’m just trying to get relatively more.

#1131 xrman1954

xrman1954

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1138 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 05:10 PM

I feel your pain, been there, done that. In fact, still doing it!

Push fade has been my miss since I changed my swing to the JV method. The coaches usually say you need to overdo the correction to a hook and then back it off a little.

My attempts to correct slice/ push fade shots have been

1) pre -set the club face closed. Worked sort of. Same as adjusting the hosel  to a closed  setting if you can .

2) strong grip and trying to rotate the forearms; for me this was erratic. Timing too exacting for my abilities.

3) the wrist slap/ flap baseball hit style ( no forearm rotation)

4) combo of 2&3

All assuming a slightly in to out swing path.

I found 4) was a bit too much tending to hook, so I am about to start using 3)  and see what happens. For some reason I seem to be able to have looser wrists with 3) but not 2) and 4)????

#1132 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5810 posts

Posted 27 October 2019 - 05:54 PM

I feel your pain, been there, done that. In fact, still doing it!

Push fade has been my miss since I changed my swing to the JV method. The coaches usually say you need to overdo the correction to a hook and then back it off a little.

My attempts to correct slice/ push fade shots have been
1) pre -set the club face closed. Worked sort of. Same as adjusting the hosel to a closed setting if you can .
2) strong grip and trying to rotate the forearms; for me this was erratic. Timing too exacting for my abilities.
3) the wrist slap/ flap baseball hit style ( no forearm rotation)
4) combo of 2&3

All assuming a slightly in to out swing path.

I found 4) was a bit too much tending to hook, so I am about to start using 3) and see what happens. For some reason I seem to be able to have looser wrists with 3) but not 2) and 4)????

Agree push fade is horrid. Where I played today nearly every hole punished this shot shape severely. I saw so many balls flying off to oblivion on the right. I was generally on the left but often too left.
I’m trying to get some forearm closing of the club but not excessive coupled with a real in to out path. When I get this right I have lovely accurate draws with the whole bag. Today I wasn’t hitting in to out so I was hooking a fair bit. I think this is the way to go for me at the moment but more work needed to make it more second nature.
  • xrman1954 likes this

#1133 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5810 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:02 PM

So finally got a proper game in. Background story – was drinking last night and in bed by 2am so 4 hours of broken sleep.
The glades. Started on 17 and went 5 a 1 after clipping my bunker shot clean over the green into the drink. 18 was a 6 a 2. Then did front 9 for 22 points so all happy days and plan of 3 wood off most tees working despite a couple of 3 putts.
10 and 11 were 2 points apiece but then missed the green with pitches on 12 and 14. On 12 I was in a swale with no real shot at the pin and on 14 I was through the back in a bush. Wiped both and also wiped 16 with hooked driver wet and couldn’t get out of bunker.
So 22 points front 9 and 11 back 9 for 33points.
Still the game plan worked, most shots were good. A few thin and one or two pushed and hooked but zero slices. Just need the second 9 like the first.
Need to work more on putting but it is better. And getting distances better on 60-90m.
  • Weetbix, xrman1954 and Dellavedova777 like this

#1134 Weetbix

Weetbix

Par in my sight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 43513 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Queensland

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:22 PM

Pretty solid mate - you should be happy
  • Dellavedova777 likes this

Handicap
Best result: 2 over 74 at Hills International on 13 Feb 2016
Eagles: 21/10/16 17th Keysborough, 24/10/16 18th Woodlands, 15/4/18 16th Carbrook
Goal: A round at par or better!
Brisbane Fairways 2015 Club Champion

2018 Nationals 4BBB Champion with Commish
Winner: 2015 Nationals day 5 round at Links Hope Island
Winner: 2016 Nationals day 5 round at Woodlands
Winner: 2017 Nationals day 5 round at Bonnie Doon

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 2 round at Kooralbyn

​Winner: 2018 Nationals day 3 round at Sanctuary Cove Pines
South East Queensland Golf Group - Treasurer
http://www.brisbanef...ssocialgolf.com - Treasurer

#1135 Toph

Toph

No golf allowed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5810 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 05:32 PM

Pretty solid mate - you should be happy

Thanks. Yep I am. Moving in the right direction, feeling more confident from tee to green, know what I need to work on.
  • Weetbix and Dellavedova777 like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users